Jurassic Park Series

Started by War Wager, Mar 25, 2007, 10:10:16 PM

Author
Jurassic Park Series (Read 1,367,142 times)

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

Is it shown to be landlocked in JW 1? Because that's the only way I'd really have an issue with it.

Xan21

Xan21

Somewhere it was explained why they had to put in gates at the mosasaurus tank... but not in film.

Stitch

Stitch

Tomorrow tweeted that they got the map wrong in JW and the lagoon has canals to the sea.

https://twitter.com/colintrevorrow/status/1008658304841723906?s=09

whiterabbit

whiterabbit

It would have made more sense to have the island sink into the sea due to earthquake subsidence.

Huggs

Huggs

Quote from: irn on Jun 27, 2018, 07:01:53 PM

So I've got a question about the opening sequence of Fallen Kingdom. After looking at the map above, how did the mosasaur escape into the sea?

Life finds a way.

Vertigo

Vertigo

Quote from: whiterabbit on Jun 27, 2018, 10:09:01 PM
It would have made more sense to have the island sink into the sea due to earthquake subsidence.

I think the idea was to allude to the Cretaceous extinction event. A meteor impact would have been a bit too on-the-nose, but half of India exploded in a chain of mass vulcanism a few thousand years before the impact, and it's thought to have been a major factor in the severity of the extinction.

A big part of the film's theme was exploring the morality of de-extinction, so I thought the volcano tied into that.

whiterabbit

whiterabbit

Quote from: Vertigo on Jun 27, 2018, 11:12:12 PM
Quote from: whiterabbit on Jun 27, 2018, 10:09:01 PM

I think the idea was to allude to the Cretaceous extinction event. A meteor impact would have been a bit too on-the-nose, but half of India exploded in a chain of mass vulcanism a few thousand years before the impact, and it's thought to have been a major factor in the severity of the extinction.

A big part of the film's theme was exploring the morality of de-extinction, so I thought the volcano tied into that.
Oh my bad, I was talking about how the landlocked lake could have gotten near the sea. If the island sunk a hundred meters due to earth quake subsidence the ocean would fill in the now lower areas of the island. However it seems to just be a mistake on the maps.

Having the volcano erupt was reason enough to create a need to evacuate the dinosaurs and it provides a doomsday scenario where the dino's could gain an advantage over humans. If an island the size of Isla Nublar explodes it would affect the global population of Earth.

However it was likely a series of events that killed off the dinosaurs. From the Deacon Traps to oxygen depletion and any number of other smaller events to finally a massive rock from space finishing them off. The dinosaurs appeared to be in decline long before the asteroid impact event. It may be too on the nose but an asteroid impact would definitely be within the theme if the goal is for dinos to take over the Earth.

Still just how many genetically weaponized dinosaurs would be needed to overwhelm the US? I think that number might be significantly less than many of us assume it is.

Highland

Highland

They are just animals at the end of the day, you'd have to have them breed like Kangaroo's and humanity to somehow forget how to kill animals.

The Planet of the apes/12 monkey's disease scenario seems more plausible, but these movies were never about realism anyway.

Gate

Gate

I think you guys are under estimating what a stampede of ceratopsians could do to a small town. Or a group of sauropods to an entire city.

Highland

Highland

Quote from: Gate on Jun 28, 2018, 01:25:09 AM
I think you guys are under estimating what a stampede of ceratopsians could do to a small town. Or a group of sauropods to an entire city.

Why would they do that though, you don't see groups of Rhinos or Elephants wipe out city's in South Africa and with no food source in the city, it seems to me that the battle would take place in open spaces.

What they would be asking here is that somehow the Dinosaurs team up, which is just not how nature works.

Huggs

Huggs

Quote from: Highland on Jun 28, 2018, 01:31:36 AM
Why would they do that though,

Because they were frightened.

What they would be asking here is that somehow the Dinosaurs team up, which is just not how nature works.

These are not natural dinosaurs, so this is not technically nature. The whole concept of blue is crazy in and of itself. Like a raptor wouldn't destroy every piece of living meat that came within sniffing distance. And blue already teamed up with rexy in JW.

Above all, it's a movie. Suspending your concept of reality is a necessary part of the experience. Some folks just want to see dinosaurs trampling through the streets of an overgrown apocalyptic New York. Simply because it's fun to think about and would be cool to see.

Highland

Highland

Quote from: Huggs on Jun 28, 2018, 02:19:38 AM

These are not natural dinosaurs, so this is not technically nature. The whole concept of blue is crazy in and of itself. Like a raptor wouldn't destroy every piece of living meat that came within sniffing distance. And blue already teamed up with rexy in JW.

Above all, it's a movie. Suspending your concept of reality is a necessary part of the experience. Some folks just want to see dinosaurs trampling through the streets of an overgrown apocalyptic New York. Simply because it's fun to think about and would be cool to see.

No I totally get that and I don't go for the realistic behaviour of Dinosaurs obviously, but asking the audience to go from a few contained Dinosaurs on some islands to mass extinction level because 12 dinosaurs escaped a mansion is starting to stretch it just a tiny bit.

They'd have to come up with a better arch than a Blade Runner title explaining that the dinosaurs got out (not even in pairs...) and have now taken over the world/America.

Gate

Gate

Quote from: Gate on Jun 28, 2018, 01:25:09 AM

Why would they do that though, you don't see groups of Rhinos or Elephants wipe out city's in South Africa and with no food source in the city, it seems to me that the battle would take place in open spaces.

Literally powerlines, skyscrapers, buildings, and cars could be destroyed simply from a brachiosaur walking into the wrong place.

whiterabbit

whiterabbit

Quote from: Highland on Jun 28, 2018, 05:30:52 AM
Quote from: Huggs on Jun 28, 2018, 02:19:38 AM

No I totally get that and I don't go for the realistic behaviour of Dinosaurs obviously, but asking the audience to go from a few contained Dinosaurs on some islands to mass extinction level because 12 dinosaurs escaped a mansion is starting to stretch it just a tiny bit.

They'd have to come up with a better arch than a Blade Runner title explaining that the dinosaurs got out (not even in pairs...) and have now taken over the world/America.
Umm dude we're not talking about those few dinos that escaped. I'm fairly certain they will all be killed before the intro of the next movie. I'm talking about how many genetically engineered weaponized dinos would it take. Which by the way are highly intelligent and programed as weapons of mass destruction. How many of those would it take?

Highland

Highland

Yeah well that would need some explaining outside of moustache twirling badies offering (strangely low amounts?) Money for Dino weapons.

That's like at least another movie away, maybe two.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed