Jurassic Park Series

Started by War Wager, Mar 25, 2007, 10:10:16 PM

Author
Jurassic Park Series (Read 1,367,248 times)

Godzillakuj94

Godzillakuj94

Quote from: Vertigo on Apr 08, 2018, 06:02:44 PM
Quote from: SiL on Apr 08, 2018, 08:21:54 AMBut that's now what people expect them to look like, at least in this fictional film franchise. If they came out with chicken dinosaurs, many people would be turned off regardless of the accuracy. Henry Wu lampshading the fact that, no, this isn't what dinosaurs "actually" looked like is probably the best they could do to reconcile the fact that we know now that the look is wrong.

The thing is, they've changed the designs in every film anyway. Sometimes it's just a recolouration, sometimes it's a reshaped bodypart, sometimes it's a complete redesign, sometimes it's giving teeth to something whose name literally means "toothless wing". Take a look at the raptors and Gallimimus in the older films and compare with JW, they look different enough to give them a distinct character. With that in mind, it would have been no problem for anyone if they'd just made some effort and implemented correct limb orientation. Or given pycnofibres to the pterosaurs, which are only briefly glimpsed during the film and had been redesigned anyway.

There's also the possibility of introducing new species, which isn't hard given that there are over a thousand to choose from. Why not add, say, Dakotaraptor, and make it look more like a giant eagle with teeth and wing claws than a bipedal monitor lizard. Doesn't mean they're retconning the old animals, and could even have made a plot point of pitting them against a leftover clutch of the old 'Velociraptor'. Hell, if they're that opposed to anything without scales, most dinosaurs didn't have dinofuzz - we're not even sure about Tyrannosaurus, despite it having hairy ancestors.
Something they could have always done with dinosaurs becoming open a pure. Have Ingen stick to their designs and have other companies trying to make accurate dinos. Both sides win.

Mr.Turok

Mr.Turok

Quote from: SiL on Apr 08, 2018, 08:21:54 AM
The problem is they got stuck in a corner with the look. When JP was new, their designs were revolutionary. Now, they're almost as outdated as the old upright, tail-dragging dinosaurs of O'Brien made for the original 1920s The Lost World.

But that's now what people expect them to look like, at least in this fictional film franchise. If they came out with chicken dinosaurs, many people would be turned off regardless of the accuracy. Henry Wu lampshading the fact that, no, this isn't what dinosaurs "actually" looked like is probably the best they could do to reconcile the fact that we know now that the look is wrong.

And realistically if you're going to drag scientific advancements post-JP into the series, you couldn't ignore the fact that we now know that DNA is completely destroyed in less than 10 million years in absolutely ideal conditions.

What's funny is that actual accuracy of dinosaurs was even touched upon the novel itself, with Hammond and Wu discussing about giving the crowd authentic dinosaurs.

Dr. Wu wanted to make the dinosaurs slower for his proposed Version 4.4 of dinosaur batches because he felt that they were "too fast", which would fail to convince visitors due to them not being accustomed to seeing large animals move as fast as the clones. Hammond disagreed, wishing to give them the real deal.  Ironic that you guys argued that the fight scenes in JW that the dinos moved too quickly. I mean has anyone seen a charging rhino, hippo, or elephant before?

Alien³

Alien³

Quote from: Mr.Turok on Apr 08, 2018, 06:30:17 PM
Dr. Wu wanted to make the dinosaurs slower for his proposed Version 4.4 of dinosaur batches because he felt that they were "too fast", which would fail to convince visitors due to them not being accustomed to seeing large animals move as fast as the clones. Hammond disagreed, wishing to give them the real deal.  Ironic that you guys argued that the fight scenes in JW that the dinos moved too quickly.

Quote from: Vertigo on Apr 07, 2018, 02:31:55 PM
I'm so sick of this excuse. It's a crutch for lazy research. People didn't go to see Jurassic Park because it was a film about genetically engineered hybrids, they went to see it because it was a film about dinosaurs.

"They're dinosaurs, wow enough."

The Son of Paragus

The Son of Paragus

"Jurassic World 2 Rating Promises Intense Dinosaur Violence"

Rated PG-13

https://movieweb.com/jurassic-world-fallen-kingdom-rating-pg13-reasons/

Immortan Jonesy

Immortan Jonesy

A new spot with some new sequences

Xan21

Xan21

The first trailer that actually made me excited! That Mosasaur scene looks wow!

ace3g

ace3g

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

The final trailer is going up today, isn't it?

Alien³

Alien³

Here's the actual size of the image from the poster:

https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/793/27662837598_47215665c9_o.jpg

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Apr 18, 2018, 07:48:28 AM
The final trailer is going up today, isn't it?

Yep!

ace3g

ace3g

Mr.Turok

Mr.Turok

I really hated that they revealed the crucial plot point of the movie. I wanted to feel the surprise I had now at the movies dammit.

skhellter

skhellter

super spoilery but will put butts in seats.

best trailer out of the 3.

The Cruentus

The Cruentus

Quote from: skhellter on Apr 18, 2018, 03:48:50 PM
super spoilery but will put butts in seats.

Actually, I think it will be best if everyone will "hold on to their butts"  :laugh:

dallevalle

dallevalle

oh god am i the only one who can see this ? ( jurrasic world = transformers ) it looks so meh xD

The Son of Paragus

The Son of Paragus

Reveal much? They literally showed EVERYTHING there was to show! And that whole
Spoiler
tamed raptor storyline with blue just feels so lame, its just putting me off so bad. It doesnt feel realistic at all. A raptor as a pet...? They used to be terrifying whenever they were on screen, now its just laughable.. [^spoiler]
[close]

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed