Jurassic Park Series

Started by War Wager, Mar 25, 2007, 10:10:16 PM

Author
Jurassic Park Series (Read 1,367,094 times)

Vertigo

Vertigo

Quote from: DoomRulz on May 22, 2017, 02:42:07 PM
Quote from: Omegamorph on Apr 27, 2017, 11:30:49 AM
Quote from: Vertigo on Apr 27, 2017, 10:55:09 AM
I'm fine with the 'clash of the titans' sequence, it looks great and it's exciting. The "Pteranodon" on the other hand... no. Just no. Terrible designs, dodgy effects, no trace of plausibility.
Dude the Pteranodon silhouette on the bridge and the Pteranodon turning its head towards Grant as the other two pick on Billy on the river are literally the best scenes in the film

I concur. It was fresh, original, and well-paced. The Clash of the Titans sequence was so stupid. Multi-ton animals do not move that fast, not to mention, it was far too early in the film for such a battle to take place. It would've been better to have them square off briefly, with the Spinosaurus standing its ground and scaring off the smaller Rex with its size then have them fight towards the end.

We don't really know how they moved, there's no living parallel. Today's terrestrial multi-tonners are all quadrupedal herbivores with no day-to-day predation pressures as adults. They rarely need to move particularly fast, and much of their energy goes towards digesting tough plant matter.

It does stand to reason that energy/musculature/cooling constraints would make a giant dinosaur slower than smaller relatives, and Jack Horner has suggested that a giant biped would need to move more cautiously as tripping over could cause serious injuries. But in absolute terms, it's another of those things that we just can't know. It's been a while since I watched Jurassic Park 3, but I don't remember the movement looking totally implausible.

I think I agree with your suggestions about the timing within the film though. A fight between the predators to close the movie might be a bit too similar to the first film, but probably beats having the Spinosaurus just wander off as in the finished product.

But the Pteranodon? An animal whose name literally means "wing without tooth", portrayed with teeth and the magical ability to fly carrying much of its bodyweight? I love the aviary sequence in the book, it's creepy and convincing, but the JP3 sequence can chortle my balls. Even leaving aside the authenticity, which after Jurassic World seems like a slightly moot point for the series, I just really hated the creature design and some of the effects. That said, the build-up to the Pteranodon's introduction is great, and as in most of JP3 the cinematography is fantastic.

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

Quote from: Vertigo on May 22, 2017, 05:12:04 PM
Quote from: DoomRulz on May 22, 2017, 02:42:07 PM
Quote from: Omegamorph on Apr 27, 2017, 11:30:49 AM
Quote from: Vertigo on Apr 27, 2017, 10:55:09 AM
I'm fine with the 'clash of the titans' sequence, it looks great and it's exciting. The "Pteranodon" on the other hand... no. Just no. Terrible designs, dodgy effects, no trace of plausibility.
Dude the Pteranodon silhouette on the bridge and the Pteranodon turning its head towards Grant as the other two pick on Billy on the river are literally the best scenes in the film

I concur. It was fresh, original, and well-paced. The Clash of the Titans sequence was so stupid. Multi-ton animals do not move that fast, not to mention, it was far too early in the film for such a battle to take place. It would've been better to have them square off briefly, with the Spinosaurus standing its ground and scaring off the smaller Rex with its size then have them fight towards the end.

We don't really know how they moved, there's no living parallel. Today's terrestrial multi-tonners are all quadrupedal herbivores with no day-to-day predation pressures as adults. They rarely need to move particularly fast, and much of their energy goes towards digesting tough plant matter.

It does stand to reason that energy/musculature/cooling constraints would make a giant dinosaur slower than smaller relatives, and Jack Horner has suggested that a giant biped would need to move more cautiously as tripping over could cause serious injuries. But in absolute terms, it's another of those things that we just can't know. It's been a while since I watched Jurassic Park 3, but I don't remember the movement looking totally implausible.

I think I agree with your suggestions about the timing within the film though. A fight between the predators to close the movie might be a bit too similar to the first film, but probably beats having the Spinosaurus just wander off as in the finished product.

But the Pteranodon? An animal whose name literally means "wing without tooth", portrayed with teeth and the magical ability to fly carrying much of its bodyweight? I love the aviary sequence in the book, it's creepy and convincing, but the JP3 sequence can chortle my balls. Even leaving aside the authenticity, which after Jurassic World seems like a slightly moot point for the series, I just really hated the creature design and some of the effects. That said, the build-up to the Pteranodon's introduction is great, and as in most of JP3 the cinematography is fantastic.

Here you go:

http://youtu.be/u8NA7IQMf_Q?t=2m9s

Given what we know of musculature placement in large theropods like T.rex, there's no way in hell it's going to zip around like that. It did the same thing in Jurassic World when fighting Indominus, who is also guilty of breaking the same rules. The way the T.rex moved in the first JP seemed much more plausible, minus the jeep chase.

I'm torn on your complaint about the aviary sequence. I'll harp on lack of science in the films until I'm blue in the face, but at the same time, here was a scene that was totally new for the franchise in that it was a new creature and for a film that was quite lousy, it stands out quite a bit.

Vertigo

Vertigo

The movement still looks alright to me - the rex isn't even technically running at any point, as far as I can see. Maybe a little light-footed and inertia-proof in a few frames. But Tyrannosaurus movement is a notoriously contentious subject, the Wikipedia section on 'locomotion' runs to nearly 2000 words. It's very hard to study for any extinct animal without living parallels, really.

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

The Rex / Spino in JP3 do not move any faster or quicker than the Rexes in JP 1 and 2. If you buy into what the Rex does in San Diego there should be no issue with the fight scene in 3

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

No, it was definitely moving more gracefully than the Rex in JP. Maybe on par with the Bull Rex in TLW at the end, but it still felt off to me.

The Son of Paragus

The Son of Paragus

It looked really fake in Jurassic World though, way too smooth and lightboned, as if there was almost no mass to it whatsoever. It really throws me out of the scene when I watch it, they should have really noticed that it isn't looking "natural" at all and not on par with JP 1.

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

Quote from: The Son of Paragus on May 23, 2017, 10:30:36 AM
It looked really fake in Jurassic World though, way too smooth and lightboned, as if there was almost no mass to it whatsoever. It really throws me out of the scene when I watch it, they should have really noticed that it isn't looking "natural" at all and not on par with JP 1.

I agree. Didn't help that the CG wasn't all that great to begin with.

ace3g

FiorinaFury161

FiorinaFury161

June 22, 2018 :o

Gate

Gate

Xan21

Xan21

major plotpoints leaked today... I don't have them... I want this one to be a bit of a surprise.

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

I'm avoiding any and all spoilers. The only thing I know about this film, even remotely plot wise, is that Ian Malcolm is returning (still surprised about that).

Xan21

Xan21

If these rumors are true
Spoiler
another big character is making a return
[close]

frenchfries

frenchfries

Quote from: Xan21 on May 25, 2017, 07:16:10 AM
If these rumors are true
Spoiler
[close]
who?? could you tell me what the leaks were? iv been hearing about them but i have not seen a thing

Gate

Gate

Quote from: frenchfries on May 26, 2017, 12:19:09 AM
Quote from: Xan21 on May 25, 2017, 07:16:10 AM
If these rumors are true
Spoiler
[close]
who?? could you tell me what the leaks were? iv been hearing about them but i have not seen a thing
I won't be happy unless its
Spoiler
Grant
[close]

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed