Jurassic Park Series

Started by War Wager, Mar 25, 2007, 10:10:16 PM

Author
Jurassic Park Series (Read 1,367,012 times)

Vertigo

Vertigo

Quote from: Scorpio on Apr 27, 2017, 12:53:45 AM
I have a soft spot for JPIII, even though I understand the nerd rage.

My opinion, it's the worst of the series but not that far below Lost World or Jurassic World. I love the way it's filmed, the sets are fantastic, the raptor effects are arguably the best in the series, it's got a good sense of humour, Grant makes a better protagonist than depressed stress-ball Malcolm (if sexy mathematician Malcolm had made a return, that would be a different story).

I mean, the animal behaviour isn't vaguely believable, some of the non-raptor creature effects are a bit ropey, script is a bit shit (well, a lot shit), the family side-story doesn't work, there's little science behind it and it's ridiculously short, but... oh what am I saying, f**k that film.

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

Re: "nerd rage" comments -- it's very easy to mix up people who don't like JPIII as a film and those who hate on it because "no way the spino could kill the t.rex!!!!1!1!1!"

The latters are those that have the T.rex as their power fantasy and when it gets killed it contradicts its status of invincible or indestructible (power fantasy) thus infuriating said people. So those are the ones "nerd-raging"

As a kid I was among those actually but growing up I realized that it was just a film (with the spino vs rex scene being a cheap way to establish the new villain as superior -- it's a common trope). Besides that I do enjoy the film but it's creatively a bit stale -- cheap excuse to go back to the island, the military showing up at the end etc. Its virtues lie in the pacing, the tightly packed visual narration and photography, and some scenes are terrific (Pterosaur cage scene)

But

Please someone hold me because the fact the island looks NOTHING like the previous film's PISSES ME OFF to no end. Makes zero sense

Vertigo

Vertigo

I'm fine with the 'clash of the titans' sequence, it looks great and it's exciting. The "Pteranodon" on the other hand... no. Just no. Terrible designs, dodgy effects, no trace of plausibility.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Omegamorph on Apr 27, 2017, 10:49:27 AMRe: "nerd rage" comments -- it's very easy to mix up people who don't like JPIII as a film and those who hate on it because "no way the spino could kill the t.rex!!!!1!1!1!"

The Spinosaurus killing the T-rex was ironically one of the things I really loved about JPIII :laugh: I thought the Spinosaurus in general was really awesome. It just annoys me that it's left languishing in such a naff movie.

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

Quote from: Vertigo on Apr 27, 2017, 10:55:09 AM
I'm fine with the 'clash of the titans' sequence, it looks great and it's exciting. The "Pteranodon" on the other hand... no. Just no. Terrible designs, dodgy effects, no trace of plausibility.
Dude the Pteranodon silhouette on the bridge and the Pteranodon turning its head towards Grant as the other two pick on Billy on the river are literally the best scenes in the film

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Apr 27, 2017, 10:56:50 AM
Quote from: Omegamorph on Apr 27, 2017, 10:49:27 AMRe: "nerd rage" comments -- it's very easy to mix up people who don't like JPIII as a film and those who hate on it because "no way the spino could kill the t.rex!!!!1!1!1!"

The Spinosaurus killing the T-rex was ironically one of the things I really loved about JPIII :laugh: I thought the Spinosaurus in general was really awesome. It just annoys me that it's left languishing in such a naff movie.
You should print the first part of your post on steel plates and then drop them on the JP fanbase saying "look on my works, ye mighty, and despair"

Gate

Gate

Yeah, IRL spinosaurus couldn't even kill anything larger than an Acrocanthosaurus. It was a quadruped that swam. Its main competition would've come from Sarchosuchus and Charcharodontosaurus (edited sorry the Giga was the Charcharo's South American relative), neither of which it would stand a chance against in a fight due to its bulky size and lack of combat skills. Spinosaur was a piscivore, and a scavenger.

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

Quote from: Gate on Apr 27, 2017, 05:52:50 PM
Yeah, IRL spinosaurus couldn't even kill anything larger than an Acrocanthosaurus. It was a quadruped that swam. Its main competition would've come from Sarchosuchus and Giganatosaurus, neither of which it would stand a chance against in a fight due to its bulky size and lack of combat skills. Spinosaur was a piscivore, and a scavenger.
Case in point

Gate

Gate

It's not me nerd-raging. It's me recognizing that at the time of the film, the Spinosaur had an incorrect skeletal alignment in science. The biggest excuse in this series is "genetic mutants" but I still laugh my ass off that they "Discovered" Utahraptor during the production of the first film.

Yes, I enjoy scientific accuracy because it's usually under-represented in media depicting the Mesozoic. But I'll settle for this instead:

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

Quote from: Gate on Apr 27, 2017, 07:11:50 PM
It's not me nerd-raging. It's me recognizing that at the time of the film, the Spinosaur had an incorrect skeletal alignment in science.
at the time of the film it was as scientifically accurate as any other dinosaur in the series

and it was actually one of the first depictions of spinosaurus with the "long snout" as opposed to the allosaur-like snout of the old restorations

SuicideDoors

SuicideDoors

Quote from: Omegamorph on Apr 27, 2017, 07:52:38 PM
Quote from: Gate on Apr 27, 2017, 07:11:50 PM
It's not me nerd-raging. It's me recognizing that at the time of the film, the Spinosaur had an incorrect skeletal alignment in science.
at the time of the film it was as scientifically accurate as any other dinosaur in the series

In your estimate how accurate is T-Rex then? Should she (he) have beat Spinosaurus in JP3?

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

Quote from: SuicideDoors on Apr 27, 2017, 08:00:41 PM
In your estimate how accurate is T-Rex then? Should she (he) have beat Spinosaurus in JP3?
At the time of JPIII, there were as many inaccuracies/speculations in T.rex as there were in Spinosaurus. Broken wrists, etc

Who wins is a matter of who wrote the film. In real life, the two probably would not have fought at all and would have left after a brief skirmish or show of roars. In real life, T.rex wouldn't have left the big meal it had at disposal and in real life Spinosaurus wouldn't have chased the guys throughout the entire island etc etc

Godzillakuj94

Godzillakuj94

Animals are animals, they'll avoid conflict if there's a risk of injury.

Gate

Gate

The Rex and Spino were never alive at the same time. Another reason I enjoy the (Mostly Cretaceus) Jurassic Park

windebieste

windebieste

Quote from: Gate on Apr 28, 2017, 03:52:22 AM
The Rex and Spino were never alive at the same time. Another reason I enjoy the (Mostly Cretaceus) Jurassic Park

I've worked on video games that state otherwise.   :P

-Windebieste.

Immortan Jonesy

Immortan Jonesy

When I thought that nobody could improve this meme

they come with this gem 8)

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed