Jurassic Park Series

Started by War Wager, Mar 25, 2007, 10:10:16 PM

Author
Jurassic Park Series (Read 1,366,615 times)

Xenomorphine

Xenomorphine

Those pictures (while technically proficient) still make the creatures look God awful, IMO... If there is ever a film with furry/feathered dinosaurs in it, I know I won't be able to take it the least bit seriously.

Dinosaurs will always look better with a draconian/reptilian aesthetic.

Quote from: DoomRulz on Jun 16, 2015, 01:42:57 PM
Park security was one aspect of it. They could never have controlled something they didn't fully understand even if that hadn't happened.

Aside from the issue with the poisonous plants, they already must have been controlling things well before Grant and co showed up. The dinosaurs are all adults. Any trial-and-error would have mostly been done by then.

Besides, it was less of a zoo and more of a nature preserve with strategically-placed windows. :)

PRI. HUDSON

PRI. HUDSON

8/10, gonna break the all-time box office record, haters gonna hate

Immortan Jonesy

Immortan Jonesy

Xenomorphine

Xenomorphine

That last quote will probably turn out to be true. :laugh:

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

Bryce Dallas Howard's legs are pretty intense.

PRI. HUDSON

PRI. HUDSON

Quote from: Omegazilla on Jun 16, 2015, 08:41:02 PM
Bryce Dallas Howard's legs are pretty intense.

I'd walk through that strawberry field.

szkoki

szkoki

Quote from: x-M-x on Jun 16, 2015, 06:09:17 PM
They really should have called this ' Jurassic Park 4' not  Jurassic World.... it wasn't set outside of the island or around the world.... it was still in a newly formed park lol...

Seeing the Classic T-rex from the first movie was the best.

(Those scars)

They gave this title for the new trilogy for reason, Trevor stated this, and gave away some hint about a dinos ruled earth sequel too.

Plokoon111

Plokoon111

Spoiler
I really enjoyed the petting zoo part, it was so cute and I would totally be in there if it was real haha. I almost got a panicked when one of the flying predators grabbed the triceratops, but luckily it fell down.
[close]

Vertigo

Vertigo

Quote from: Xenomorphine on Jun 16, 2015, 08:02:38 PM
Those pictures (while technically proficient) still make the creatures look God awful, IMO... If there is ever a film with furry/feathered dinosaurs in it, I know I won't be able to take it the least bit seriously.

Well to each their own, but this one, at least, looks every bit as menacing as the JW raptors to me, if not more so.

Spoiler

Compared with the original JP concept.

[close]

For 100% authenticity it should really have pennaceous arm/hand feathers, but I think artistic licence is just as fair to keep them wingless (and I'd clip off the tail fan too) as it was to give JP's raptors lips, eyebrow ridges and big eyes with slit pupils.

Imagine that in a dark colour, or jet black. It's basically like a big, agile, predatory bear from hell.

Keg

Keg

Accurate or not, my whole life since I was a toddler before i'd even seen the first film, ive pictured dinosaurs a certain way. Suddenly seeing them with feathers just doesn't look or feel right to me as im sure is the case with many people even though they know it to be inaccurate. Same way I know Dilophosaurs didnt have frills and Velociraptors were the size of a large turkey. Hey at least this film actually addresses that for the purists I suppose.

ace3g

ace3g

Kevin FeigeVerified account
‏@Kevfeige

Congrats Mr. Spielberg @UniversalPics @Legendary @LeDoctor @colintrevorrow and especially @prattprattpratt

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

Why? You'd likely change your mind as soon as you see one of them ripping a human apart.

Quote from: DoomRulz on Jun 16, 2015, 01:42:57 PM
Park security was one aspect of it. They could never have controlled something they didn't fully understand even if that hadn't happened.

Aside from the issue with the poisonous plants, they already must have been controlling things well before Grant and co showed up. The dinosaurs are all adults. Any trial-and-error would have mostly been done by then.

Besides, it was less of a zoo and more of a nature preserve with strategically-placed windows. :)

And in the novel, all that planning goes to shit once Malcolm arrives on the island and right away, spots problems like the population numbers growing.

Quote from: Omegazilla on Jun 16, 2015, 07:11:09 PM
Quote from: DoomRulz on Jun 16, 2015, 12:42:15 PMEveryone needs a house to live in. And yes, I can fault the proprietor because he's the one who hired the engineer. He should've known what kind of service he was paying for.
...but the proprietor, being human, is not omniscient -- thus would not be realistically be able to know something's up with the engineer. It's a faulty logic going on here, both because of this and because you can give fault to an endless chain. I can fault the Costa Rican government for giving Hammond the island (should've known what kind of things he wanted to do with the island); I can blame whoever elected the Costa Rican government (should've known that they would've sold the island to yadda yadda yadda); and so on and so forth. It's utter, blatant nonsense.

Slippery slope. The human knows exactly what goes into building a house. That's why people study engineering and construction. The only room for error is a result of cost-cutting and shortcuts. But what do you study about an extinct ecosystem? Sure, you can hypothesize, theorize, all that jazz, but when it comes to recreating it, you can't possibly hope to replicate it for the simple reason that it's impossible. Human error lies not in the design, but in the idea.

Vertigo

Vertigo

Quote from: Keg on Jun 16, 2015, 11:18:44 PM
Accurate or not, my whole life since I was a toddler before i'd even seen the first film, ive pictured dinosaurs a certain way. Suddenly seeing them with feathers just doesn't look or feel right to me as im sure is the case with many people even though they know it to be inaccurate. Same way I know Dilophosaurs didnt have frills and Velociraptors were the size of a large turkey. Hey at least this film actually addresses that for the purists I suppose.

Well, think about how it was for people who saw Jurassic Park expecting to see Tyrannosaurus standing vertically with its tail dragging along the floor, waddling slowly and stupidly after its constantly-tripping-over victims. You might be thinking "those old ones were lame, these new horizontal fastosaurs are so much more badass", but there were a lot of people who liked to see dinosaurs as symbols of the march of progress, towering brutes destined to be outmoded by agile mammalian superiority.

Public perception of dinosaurs is moulded by what cinema throws at us - before The Land Before Time and Jurassic Park, the popular image was formed from The Land That Time Forgot and One Million Years BC, an image that was as outdated as ours is today.
Imagine how bad our perception of dinosaurs could be if Jurassic Park had never existed. That's the value of these films.

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

For the anti-feather crowd, what is it about the inclusion of the newer science that bothers you so much? Xenomorphine, you said they wouldn't look scary. I challenge that. Have you seen newer dino docs that feature feathered dromaeosaurids? They look fantastic!

whiterabbit

whiterabbit

Gigantic feathered beasts would have been terrifying. Even if they were only 4 feet high. :P

Never the less Jurrasic Park is fiction. Not much is factual about the movie. Feathers or not they went with featherless because raptors are cute enough as it is.  :laugh:

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed