Jurassic Park Series

Started by War Wager, Mar 25, 2007, 10:10:16 PM

Author
Jurassic Park Series (Read 1,367,445 times)

Gilfryd

Gilfryd

On the subject of CGI...

QuoteThe Untold Story of ILM, a Titan That Forever Changed Film
http://www.wired.com/2015/05/inside-ilm/

frenchfries

frenchfries

Quote from: Omegazilla on May 25, 2015, 07:08:43 PM

Goodness, what horridly bad CGI. The f**king ET game for Atari looks better than this crap. Unbearable.
thats prob not finished cgi. http://emileeid.com/2015/05/25/exclusive-over-15-new-stills-from-jurassic-world/
the cgi in this link looks lifelike!

Njm1983

Njm1983

Yeah I think questions about the cgi quality need to die now. These stills look really amazing. The I Rex looks like it could have been an animatronic.

Spoiler
was that a baby I Rex being touched by pratt with the muzzle on it??? That thing had the creepiest look on its face while he was touching her
[close]

whiterabbit

whiterabbit

Quote from: Njm1983 on May 26, 2015, 03:06:58 AM
Yeah I think questions about the cgi quality need to die now. These stills look really amazing. The I Rex looks like it could have been an animatronic.

Spoiler
was that a baby I Rex being touched by pratt with the muzzle on it??? That thing had the creepiest look on its face while he was touching her
[close]
Spoiler
No that was a raptor, probably the one called Blue; considering the blue streak down it's sides. I think the trailers make it pretty clear that the Pratt guy has no idea about the iRex until they ask him to inspect their safety protocols and it's housing before introducing the iRex exhibit to the general public. "You went ahead and made a new dinosaur?"
[close]

The computer graphics are amazing. The iRex looks amazing in the trailers. It clearly sucked up a big bite of the budget and I like the organic feel of the design too. It looks hell-of-believable in my opinion.

Alien³

Alien³

Quote from: Njm1983 on May 26, 2015, 03:06:58 AM
Yeah I think questions about the cgi quality need to die now.

I think they were kidding ;)

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: frenchfries on May 26, 2015, 03:05:40 AM

Goodness, what horridly bad CGI. The f**king ET game for Atari looks better than this crap. Unbearable.
thats prob not finished cgi. http://emileeid.com/2015/05/25/exclusive-over-15-new-stills-from-jurassic-world/
the cgi in this link looks lifelike!

And I just learned Jake Johnson is in the film. And now I'm even more excited.  ;D

SiL

SiL

Goodness, what horridly bad CGI.
I appreciate you're being sarcastic, but these days we can do much better, especially in motion. None of the shots of the creatures moving like like actual animals moving; they look like animation. That iRex breaking out of the egg might as well have been a 2D Disney animation overlaid onto the shot as far as its movements go, it's that far removed from how an actual living organism would move.

It's not even that I'm complaining, it's just really interesting how we started at the right place and spent a long time making shaders and textures look more realistic while losing touch of things like making sure the movement had any sort of reality to it. The reason I'm ripping on it here of all places is because this series shows a pretty damn direct line from the start of living, breathing creatures rendered in computers, to the present day. We get a direct comparison of 22 years of development.

In the original Jurassic Park they had to make the T-Rex run slower and slower while chasing the jeep because it didn't look right at the speeds they started at. The move says it can run 32mph: the scene has it run at 25mph. These days, though, if a director wanted a T-Rex running at 50mph, he would get a T-Rex running at 50mph, and it would look silly. If we're lucky, the director notices, and slows it down. If we're not, he tells the guys to go back and do whatever they need to in order for his vision of a T-Rex a reality.

One thing I would actually complain about with this movie is that the director is maybe competent and incredibly uninspired, but that's another issue entirely.

Alien³

Alien³

Quote from: SiL on May 26, 2015, 09:19:22 AM
That iRex breaking out of the egg might as well have been a 2D Disney animation overlaid onto the shot as far as its movements go, it's that far removed from how an actual living organism would move.

It's like the Indominus is a made up animal or something :P Not to mention the trailer is edited with sped up footage, and quick cuts. The film might be different.

We haven't seen the film yet to really pass judgement on if the animals act like animals.

Quote from: SiL on May 26, 2015, 09:19:22 AM
One thing I would actually complain about with this movie is that the director is maybe competent and incredibly uninspired, but that's another issue entirely.

Trevorrow has masterfully brought this franchise back, in a smart and refreshing way. JP has a specific style and the film-makers have tapped into it perfectly for JW. I'm interested to know where you're coming from here...

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Alien³ on May 26, 2015, 09:36:55 AMTrevorrow has masterfully brought this franchise back, in a smart and refreshing way. JP has a specific style and the film-makers have tapped into it perfectly for JW.

In fairness, your comment about speaking before the film is out applies equally to what you just said there :) We don't know any of that until the movie comes out.

SiL

SiL

Quote from: Alien³ on May 26, 2015, 09:36:55 AM
It's like the Indominus is a made up animal or something :P
And that's actually the kind of incredibly poor, lazy reasoning we get behind the scenes. Dinosaurs can't actually be cloned and the reality is we know very, very little about them -- but that didn't stop the team on the first movie putting in years of research into animal movement to ground their entirely unreal animals in reality :)

QuoteTrevorrow has masterfully brought this franchise back, in a smart and refreshing way. JP has a specific style and the film-makers have tapped into it perfectly for JW. I'm interested to know where you're coming from here...
I have to see the movie to judge the effects, but you can say he's "masterfully" done anything...?

I'm talking about his actual direction. Directing a movie is not about coming up with cool set-pieces or orchestrating large spectacles, it's in everything. If you want to know how good a director is, look at how he films the most cinematically dull thing possible -- two people talking. Great directors make it interesting, poor ones resort to basic coverage.

Treverrow is the latter.

This is from his first movie. As you can see from the comments, this is many people's favourite scene. From a directing standpoint, however, it is incredibly boring. It's the same three shots for three minutes. It would not have broke the bank or the schedule to at least quickly lock off a close-up of the girl's face, without the guy, to show her reactions and emotions, seeing as it's the key part of the scene. Or a slow track in on her over the course of the scene. Or literally anything other than just repeat three shots.

From a directing standpoint, it's quantifiably bad.

"It's his first movie!"

I'll be fair, this has a lot to do with the writing, but this scene is just really, really dull. It's standard coverage of two people talking. Again, nothing in the camera, the editing, or even the blocking of the scene is helping tell this story. If you muted this scene, you would learn nothing, not just because there's no dialogue.

Compare to:

http://youtu.be/fEc_1Zun-FM?t=47s

If you mute that scene, you obviously won't know that they're going to a freakin' dinosaur park (Not that you do even with audio), but you understand exactly how the dynamics of the scene are changing through blocking, through acting, through reaction shots, etc.

I know that seems overly harsh considering the movie's not out yet, but they're releasing scenes, and those scenes should be able to communicate something, even out of context, through more than just dialogue. That's what good direction is all about: using all of the tools of filmmaking to tell an engaging story, even when it is just two people talking.

Alien³

Alien³

Quote from: HuDaFuK on May 26, 2015, 09:58:55 AM
Quote from: Alien³ on May 26, 2015, 09:36:55 AMTrevorrow has masterfully brought this franchise back, in a smart and refreshing way. JP has a specific style and the film-makers have tapped into it perfectly for JW.

In fairness, your comment about speaking before the film is out applies equally to what you just said there :) We don't know any of that until the movie comes out.

Yeah I saw that trip just now. Oops. :P

Quote from: SiL on May 26, 2015, 10:21:25 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4EY4qZO4vC4

We'll have to disagree about whats being shown in this shot if you mute it. I see a flashy car, a person wearing ridiculously clean clothes, a guy who doesn't mind getting his hands dirty working on a bike which he owns, nothing like the company car behind him. And to boot the use of the camera having Claire standing above Owen when trying to get him to do something. I'm not saying its a masterpiece of directing but for JP4 its perfect.

As you said...

you understand exactly how the dynamics of the scene are changing through blocking, through acting, through reaction shots, etc.

Quote from: Alien³ on May 26, 2015, 09:36:55 AM
It's like the Indominus is a made up animal or something :P
And that's actually the kind of incredibly poor, lazy reasoning we get behind the scenes. Dinosaurs can't actually be cloned and the reality is we know very, very little about them -- but that didn't stop the team on the first movie putting in years of research into animal movement to ground their entirely unreal animals in reality :)

But we can't assume they stopped doing that for JW. The Indominus is a metaphor for corporate greed, (if anything it mirrors the studios demand to have a Spinosaurus in 3) My guess is it'll feel like a real animal as will the others.

If not we can chalk it off to Genetic tampering. It is science fiction after all. :-*

szkoki

szkoki

SiL

SiL

Quote from: Alien³ on May 26, 2015, 10:22:39 AM
We'll have to disagree about whats being shown in this shot if you mute it. I see a flashy car, a person wearing ridiculously clean clothes, a guy who doesn't mind getting his hands dirty working on a bike which he owns, nothing like the company car behind him. And to boot the use of the camera having Claire standing above Owen when trying to get him to do something. I'm not saying its a masterpiece of directing but for JP4 its perfect.
That tells you something about the character. What about the scene? He goes above her first, she follows up, he goes back down -- but the dynamic of their responses are never really any different. The blocking is meaningless. What's the nature of their discussion? Who's winning at any given point?

All we know is a stern looking lady is talking to a smartarse guy. That's it. For a minute and a half.

QuoteIf not we can chalk it off to Genetic tampering. It is science fiction after all. :-*
No, we can't. It's supposed to be a living, breathing thing. It's not an animation in the movie. This isn't Who Framed Roger Rabbit?.

Alien³

Alien³

Quote from: SiL on May 26, 2015, 10:47:26 AM
QuoteIf not we can chalk it off to Genetic tampering. It is science fiction after all. :-*
It's supposed to be a living, breathing thing. It's not an animation in the movie. This isn't Who Framed Roger Rabbit?.

It's supposed to be whatever the creators want it to be.

...and the creators have said...

"It's sort of, like, if the black fish orca got loose and never knew its mother and has been fed from a crane. And when you make a hybrid animal–like, any farmer will tell you that, like, hybrid cows are crazy. So, it's crazy."

http://www.slashfilm.com/colin-trevorrow-jurassic-world-interview/2/

I'm sure its not going to be the equivalent of a talking rabbit.

SiL

SiL

They're saying it acts differently. That doesn't mean it's suddenly not a flesh and blood thing in terms of the story.

See my earlier comment about if a director wants a TRex running at 50mph, they'll get it whether it looks right or not...

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed