Jurassic Park Series

Started by War Wager, Mar 25, 2007, 10:10:16 PM

Author
Jurassic Park Series (Read 1,366,823 times)

That Yellow Alien

That Yellow Alien

Not to mention there was only one T-rex.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Quote from: predxeno on Feb 05, 2015, 03:40:37 AMI played Jurassic Park: The Game from TellTale Games and it's implied in that story (and the novel from which the movie is based) that the entire island got bombed to "preserve the ecosystem".

Yeah, in the novel the Costa Rican air force launch air strikes on the island to kill all the dinosaurs (although a few pterodactyls escape). The film never really says what happened to the park afterwards.

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

Yes, it is very probably a connection that is there purely for the enthusiasts of the original film, those guys that have rewinded that one final scene three thousand times just to watch the T.rex roar again (such as me). I'm not seeing anything wrong with that.

Vertigo

Vertigo

JW spoiler
Apparently ruined parts of the old park will appear in Jurassic World. The northernmost part of the island is walled off from the new park.
[close]

Remember this poster? I think it's implied that in JW's continuity, if the island was bombed then they didn't do a particularly good job of it. Rexy may not be the only animal corralled from the old park into the new one (though unless the Dilophosaurus shows up wearing Nedry's glasses, it probably won't matter or be noticeable).

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Feb 05, 2015, 08:36:55 AMYeah, in the novel the Costa Rican air force launch air strikes on the island to kill all the dinosaurs (although a few pterodactyls escape).
The pterosaurs were all trapped in their aviary, everything on Nublar died in the novel. A few dinosaurs had previously escaped to the mainland on boats, but are presumed dead by the second book.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Vertigo on Feb 05, 2015, 09:46:05 AMThe pterosaurs were all trapped in their aviary, everything on Nublar died in the novel. A few dinosaurs had previously escaped to the mainland on boats, but are presumed dead by the second book.

You're right, my mistake. It's be a very long time since I read it.

whiterabbit

whiterabbit

I still don't get why the Costa Rican government, much less any other would bomb dinos? I think that could be written off as a cover story to appease the general public's fear. The dinos were supposed to die off after 7 days, which of course didn't happen, yet no one bombed site b. In the movies anyway.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Quote from: whiterabbit on Feb 05, 2015, 11:24:36 AMI still don't get why the Costa Rican government, much less any other would bomb dinos? I think that could be written off as a cover story to appease the general public's fear. The dinos were supposed to die off after 7 days, which of course didn't happen, yet no one bombed site b. In the movies anyway.

In the book Hammond is leasing the island from Costa Rica, presumably they're just trying to cover themselves for the fact genetic experiments they allowed to happen on their territory led to the deaths of people.

But as you say, in the movies it's not clear if any of that actually happened.

Vertigo

Vertigo

I think the big issue was public health. There was a major concern about communicable disease, and that's what the Costa Rican government saw them as - not dinosaurs, but a major public health risk that they'd allowed to happen by not properly supervising the genetic research of a foreign company on their soil.

It's basically a wider extrapolation (and maybe consequence) of Dodgson's experiment mentioned at the start of the book, in which Chilean farmers are exposed to a virus in order to test a genetically engineered vaccine.

xeno-kaname

xeno-kaname

Quote from: predxeno on Feb 05, 2015, 03:34:51 AM
Quote from: xeno-kaname on Feb 05, 2015, 03:16:03 AM
Quote from: predxeno on Feb 05, 2015, 03:13:06 AM
It's probably just my cynical side talking, but I don't really see how bringing up the connection to the previous film would advance the story in any way.  What's so special about the original Rex that a different Rex couldn't likewise do? ???
It doesn't advance or take away from the story, so why not? Like I said, it's just a nod to the fans.

Personally, I love the idea of it being the original Rex that comes back to take the crown. Assuming it kills the I-Rex.

That's pretty much what I'm saying, taken at face value it just seems like a cheap marketing ploy designed to target fans of the original.  As a person who has studied the craft of writing, I know that when someone puts something into a story the question should always be "Why this?', not "Why not?" (It's how we got Terminator 3 and 4 :()  I'm not going to judge yet though as I don't know what role the "original Rex" will have in the story, I just hope the movie is more than just special effects and action sequences.
But it doesn't serve as a "marketing ploy." All the fans of the franchise are going to go see this movie anyways. Even if they're wary of the movie because of JP3 or other reasons, most people will go check it out even if it's just to show support to the dinosaur movie genre.

But you know I think it does have a legitimate "why this?" answer. Although it's obvious that this movie is connected to the previous ones, there aren't really any major characters returning to the movie. Except for the Rex now. That's a neat way to make the audience connect to the movie in a more significant way.

Spoiler
Dr. Wu won't really have such an effect.
[close]

King Rathalos

King Rathalos

improved

MudButt

MudButt

So much death, I'm going to love it  ;D

MrSpaceJockey

MrSpaceJockey

Quote from: King Rathalos on Feb 05, 2015, 04:49:01 PM

improved

Well, the original shot was plain unfinished.

xeno-kaname

xeno-kaname

Quote from: MudButt on Feb 05, 2015, 04:50:38 PM
I think a woman gets plucked by a Pterodactyl. So that's something. I think somebody mentioned they hadn't killed off a woman in any of the JP's lol

MudButt

MudButt

Quote from: xeno-kaname on Feb 05, 2015, 09:32:44 PM
Quote from: MudButt on Feb 05, 2015, 04:50:38 PM
I think a woman gets plucked by a Pterodactyl. So that's something. I think somebody mentioned they hadn't killed off a woman in any of the JP's lol

Yeah, this movie looks like it's going to fix the small nit picks I had with the previous movies, no guns work against dinos and there aren't enough casualties. Save for the Tall Grass Raptor Attack in TLW, but those were all mainly quick shots of people getting dragged to the ground. I want to see some real casualties here, which is why the shot of the minigun firing at the I-Rex and the flying reptile plucking up that female gets me real excited.

predxeno

predxeno

Quote from: whiterabbit on Feb 05, 2015, 11:24:36 AM
I still don't get why the Costa Rican government, much less any other would bomb dinos? I think that could be written off as a cover story to appease the general public's fear. The dinos were supposed to die off after 7 days, which of course didn't happen, yet no one bombed site b. In the movies anyway.

Supposedly, the introduction of a entirely new set of species could damage the present day ecosystem and various food chains would be completely (and possibly irreparably) upended.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed