Jurassic Park Series

Started by War Wager, Mar 25, 2007, 10:10:16 PM

Author
Jurassic Park Series (Read 1,367,005 times)

Alien³

Alien³

Fair enough.

Although you could say the books were written for the dump mainstream book readers. :P

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

I liked the science in the book, but I don't remember the dino attack scenes being at all thrilling, and I really didn't like Hammond and Malcolm compared to their movie counterparts.

The second book was better, aside from the magical resurrection of Malcolm and the lack of Pete Postlethwaite, who rules. But I don't remember being especially blown away by either.

vikingr

vikingr

Well I see from an intelectual point of view: Books > Movies

But still I don't think like that about dump mainstream movie watchers, but feel Crichton could have thought like that, leaving, what is for ke the most important part of the story, out of the movie.

xeno-kaname

xeno-kaname

Quote from: vikingr on Jan 30, 2015, 12:47:58 PM
I felt like Crichtons movie script was made for the dump mainstream movie watchers, while the book kept the real core of the story.

And because movie 2 and 3 were so daman bad, I'm not excited to see Jurassic World. The short summary I read about it didn't sound great as well.
TLW was bad? Waaaat??

The book is way better sure but the movie is still great. Save for Kelly's acrobatics  ::)

vikingr

vikingr

The part when the T-Rex arrived in New York ruined the whole movie for me. So I don't like it at all, mostly because of that.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Quote from: vikingr on Jan 30, 2015, 02:31:53 PMThe part when the T-Rex arrived in New York ruined the whole movie for me.

San Diego.

Vertigo

Vertigo

I definitely prefer the book, but the film's an incredibly well-done adaptation of the core concepts, and resulted in a script way in advance of almost every Hollywood blockbuster. Plus of course you have the added element of the film being such an incredible landmark for technology and production.

I just wish Crichton had made scripts for the subsequent films. They're good fun, but they're not anywhere near as well-written.

Tangakkai

Tangakkai

Quote from: vikingr on Jan 30, 2015, 02:31:53 PM
The part when the T-Rex arrived in New York ruined the whole movie for me. So I don't like it at all, mostly because of that.

The only masterpiece in the JP-Series is No. 1. It's flawless in all the right places: Plot, Story-Design, Actors, Effects, pace.

TLW was more or less a simple "more, bigger and better"-revisiting of the Franchise. It did have a lot of the heart and spirit of number 1, but was flawed quite a bit. The T-Rex arriving in San Diego was the only really new thing in the movie, so for me, that was actually the saviour of that film, since we never saw a Dinosaur in a human surrounding before in the JP-universe.

JP 3 was absolutely heartless and therefore lackluster. Not one original concept was introduced, but just more of the same old elements were thrown in. It's a mediocre version of JP 1, with the Spinosaurus replacing the T-Rex... still love that fight scene though  ;D

JW at least seems to give a shit about franchise-progress in the sense that this time, the Park is actually open and running. So far that's the only new thing I can see in this movie... could be executed really well if they focus on the mass-panic aspect. There's also the underwater addition that could be really cool, but I fear that the Mosasaurus will simply become a gimmick (oh look, we have an underwater-dino to please the fanboys). Other than that, I see little hope for this movie. I'm obviously gonna watch it right when it comes out, but my hopes aren't high, the JP-Franchise itself simply doesn't guarantee high-quality movies per se... it's more like a hit and miss.
Also the clone-dinosaur... Intercourse-Rex or whatever... I'm all for it! But if it's just a bigger and badder T-Rex with more teeth, it's simply not worth the fuss and becomes absolutely underwhelming.

vikingr

vikingr

Oh yeah San Diego. My fault. It's been a long time since I watched the second movie.

That Yellow Alien

That Yellow Alien

TLW has its problems, but how can anymore not like a T-rex rampaging through a city?

KirklandSignature

KirklandSignature

Quote from: That Yellow Alien on Jan 30, 2015, 04:15:08 PM
TLW has its problems, but how can anymore not like a T-rex rampaging through a city?

It's a cliché that harkens back to Godzilla and his boyfriends rampaging through cities.

vikingr

vikingr

Well its nothing new: Godzilla was there long before and they didn't made it anything special. And even if you want a T-Rex rampaging in a big city it could've been done much better imho.

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

The second film's finale is the coronation and the pay-off of what they had been setting up for the entire movie.

Alien³

Alien³

Quote from: Omegazilla on Jan 30, 2015, 04:27:13 PM
The second film's finale is the coronation and the pay-off of what they had been setting up for the entire movie.

Exactly.

scarhunter92

scarhunter92

Quote from: KirklandSignature on Jan 30, 2015, 04:17:00 PM
Quote from: That Yellow Alien on Jan 30, 2015, 04:15:08 PM

It's a cliché that harkens back to Godzilla and his boyfriends rampaging through cities.

And that's exactly what Spielberg was aiming for. It's a tribute (said by himself) which also makes sense within the film because:

Quote from: Omegazilla on Jan 30, 2015, 04:27:13 PM

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed