Jurassic Park Series

Started by War Wager, Mar 25, 2007, 10:10:16 PM

Author
Jurassic Park Series (Read 1,367,457 times)

Vertigo

Vertigo

Quote from: Cvalda on Oct 11, 2014, 07:37:14 PM
Quote from: BANE on Oct 11, 2014, 07:29:57 PM
That doesn't mean it's gone in 521 years. You could still realistically get DNA from a million years old bones, and I have no idea about buried tree sap.

This doesn't really need to be said, but over 1.5 million years would be unreadable, so yes, Dinosaurs 65+ million years old would be utterly impossible.
No shit. Hence the entire premise of the original film being scientifically absurd.

Bane's right, the oldest known preserved DNA is around a million years old, and fragmented to the point that it's not currently workable.

Still, it wasn't implausible in the '80s when the story was written. At one point, it was thought it was just a question of finding the right piece of amber (although acquiring DNA is the tip of a very large iceberg when it comes to cloning dinosaurs, most points of which Crichton did address within the fiction).

Personally, I can't believe it will never be possible to recreate a Mesozoic dinosaur. When I was growing up, I thought we'd never know what colour dinosaurs were, what they sounded like, how much time they spent in water, that we'd ever find preserved organic material, that we'd find dinosaurs in Antarctica, that we'd narrow down to a virtual certainty what wiped them out, that we'd find evidence of them burrowing underground, that we'd finally achieve a consensus that they were warm-blooded, that we'd find incontrovertible proof that birds were not only related to but members of the Dinosauria, that my favourite dinosaur of the time would turn out to be covered in hairy proto-feathers and have wings, that Tyrannosaurus could bite through bone like we bite through mature cheddar, and that after 200 years of palaeontology, we'd still be finding entirely new major groups of dinosaurs and the first petrified remains. Etc, etc, etc.

The science has moved on at a mind-boggling pace for the last couple of decades, and I think it's just a matter of time before we find a way. It won't be an insect in amber, but maybe we'll be able to observe and reconstruct trace evidence of base pairs, or assemble such a thorough knowledge of the molecular clock that we're able to assemble the DNA of living birds' last common ancestor, or find enough protein in a bone to be properly workable.
And at that point, we'll be presented with the various questions posed by the story.

Cvalda

Cvalda

What we really need is to find some dinosaur's essential saltes and call it up.

DaddyYautja

DaddyYautja

Quote from: Blacklabel on Oct 08, 2014, 07:39:53 PM
Trailer breakdown:

Spoiler
- Starts off with a boat heading to Isla Nublar.
- Vehicles passing underneath a JWorld gate ..
- vehicles next to Gallimimus
- several tourists shots.
- Gyrosphere scene .. Apatosaurus appear.
- Claire says how genetics have advanced now and how they can make their own dinosaurs from scratch.
- Owen appears at the D.rex paddock, they see the claws marks, they discuss about it briefly. Someone says - She is dangerous, she is loose and she will get you (Something like that).
- Shark hung on a line gets eaten by Mosasaurus, splashing water onto the audience watching it.
- Someone getting dragged trough the jungle at night.
- Someone falling on the water.
- Woman screaming in terror.
- JP theme in a slower (possibly piano) version.
tagline .. THE PARK .. several tourist shots .. IS OPEN.
- Last scene - Owen says "if we have to do this, it has to be my way' then he approaches a muzzled raptor and pets it. Next shot is a group of raptors running through a field ( they have something on their heads).
- Jurassic World logo .. June 12th.
[close]

Do the raptors have feathers? Cause if they dont im not watching the movie.
I can take trained raptors but raptors without feathers? NEVAAAHHHHH!!!

Blacklabel

Blacklabel

Cvaldi, you rob the bones in the natural history museums..

I'll get the necronomicon.  :P

Quote from: DaddyYautja on Oct 11, 2014, 09:33:08 PM
Quote from: Blacklabel on Oct 08, 2014, 07:39:53 PM
Trailer breakdown:

Spoiler
- Starts off with a boat heading to Isla Nublar.
- Vehicles passing underneath a JWorld gate ..
- vehicles next to Gallimimus
- several tourists shots.
- Gyrosphere scene .. Apatosaurus appear.
- Claire says how genetics have advanced now and how they can make their own dinosaurs from scratch.
- Owen appears at the D.rex paddock, they see the claws marks, they discuss about it briefly. Someone says - She is dangerous, she is loose and she will get you (Something like that).
- Shark hung on a line gets eaten by Mosasaurus, splashing water onto the audience watching it.
- Someone getting dragged trough the jungle at night.
- Someone falling on the water.
- Woman screaming in terror.
- JP theme in a slower (possibly piano) version.
tagline .. THE PARK .. several tourist shots .. IS OPEN.
- Last scene - Owen says "if we have to do this, it has to be my way' then he approaches a muzzled raptor and pets it. Next shot is a group of raptors running through a field ( they have something on their heads).
- Jurassic World logo .. June 12th.
[close]

Do the raptors have feathers? Cause if they dont im not watching the movie.
I can take trained raptors but raptors without feathers? NEVAAAHHHHH!!!

They have feathers up the wazoo. Flowers, too.

They are hippies, essentially.

Quote from: Vertigo on Oct 11, 2014, 09:18:25 PM
Personally, I can't believe it will never be possible to recreate a Mesozoic dinosaur.

I think our knowledge of DNA manipulation (and creation) will grow and add up to the creation of artificial "wombs".. and it will enable us to essentially "design" these creatures again* ...and even create whatever new lifeforms we can imagine (within the realm of biological possibility) BUT... give or take 100 or 300 years. :P We wont be alive to see it.

*Of course, these lab created dinosaurs will essentially be speculative versions of what we think the real one's were like, based on paleontological studies... 

BANE

BANE

Quote from: Vertigo on Oct 11, 2014, 09:18:25 PM
Quote from: Cvalda on Oct 11, 2014, 07:37:14 PM
Quote from: BANE on Oct 11, 2014, 07:29:57 PM
That doesn't mean it's gone in 521 years. You could still realistically get DNA from a million years old bones, and I have no idea about buried tree sap.

This doesn't really need to be said, but over 1.5 million years would be unreadable, so yes, Dinosaurs 65+ million years old would be utterly impossible.
No shit. Hence the entire premise of the original film being scientifically absurd.

Bane's right, the oldest known preserved DNA is around a million years old, and fragmented to the point that it's not currently workable.

Still, it wasn't implausible in the '80s when the story was written. At one point, it was thought it was just a question of finding the right piece of amber (although acquiring DNA is the tip of a very large iceberg when it comes to cloning dinosaurs, most points of which Crichton did address within the fiction).

Personally, I can't believe it will never be possible to recreate a Mesozoic dinosaur. When I was growing up, I thought we'd never know what colour dinosaurs were, what they sounded like, how much time they spent in water, that we'd ever find preserved organic material, that we'd find dinosaurs in Antarctica, that we'd narrow down to a virtual certainty what wiped them out, that we'd find evidence of them burrowing underground, that we'd finally achieve a consensus that they were warm-blooded, that we'd find incontrovertible proof that birds were not only related to but members of the Dinosauria, that my favourite dinosaur of the time would turn out to be covered in hairy proto-feathers and have wings, that Tyrannosaurus could bite through bone like we bite through mature cheddar, and that after 200 years of palaeontology, we'd still be finding entirely new major groups of dinosaurs and the first petrified remains. Etc, etc, etc.

The science has moved on at a mind-boggling pace for the last couple of decades, and I think it's just a matter of time before we find a way. It won't be an insect in amber, but maybe we'll be able to observe and reconstruct trace evidence of base pairs, or assemble such a thorough knowledge of the molecular clock that we're able to assemble the DNA of living birds' last common ancestor, or find enough protein in a bone to be properly workable.
And at that point, we'll be presented with the various questions posed by the story.
I'm envious of your passion. The last thing I was ever this passionate about were f**king Yu Gi Oh cards when I was 10.  :-\

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

Quote from: Cvalda on Oct 11, 2014, 09:21:22 PM

Cvalda

Cvalda

Quote from: Blacklabel on Oct 11, 2014, 09:34:13 PM
I think our knowledge of DNA manipulation (and creation) will grow and add up to the creation of artificial "wombs".. and it will enable us to essentially "design" these creatures again* ...and even create whatever new lifeforms we can imagine (within the realm of biological possibility) BUT... give or take 100 or 300 years. :P We wont be alive to see it.
We'll be in the shit in 100-300 years, probably won't be any money or resources left for such a useless technological enterprise :P

Blacklabel

Blacklabel

Yeah i forgot about the flying polyps.

Gate

Gate

I'm slowly dying on the inside.

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

Quote from: Cvalda on Oct 11, 2014, 09:21:22 PM
Hahahahaha, YES!

ace3g

ace3g

Colin TrevorrowVerified account ‏@colintrevorrow

#TheParkIsOpen

Blacklabel

Blacklabel

Hory shiett

Alien³

Alien³

Such a beautiful poster.

First Blood

First Blood

It's happening guys.

Blacklabel

Blacklabel

I love the textures/colour in the logo. :P Elegant, simple.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed