Jurassic Park Series

Started by War Wager, Mar 25, 2007, 10:10:16 PM

Author
Jurassic Park Series (Read 1,366,874 times)

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

Jurassic Park resolved a lot of 'popular' myths about Dinosaurs (slow, stupid, upright) but introduced in time myths of its own (8-feet tall Velociraptors, frilled Dilophosaurus). Every time I mention Dilophosaurus in a conversation (and that's 0.3% of my yearly conversations) I have to point out that no, we have zero proof that Dilophosaurus had frills, because a good lot of people are convinced that they absolutely did, based on what they saw in Jurassic Park.

Spielberg wanted lifelike animals, and wanted them to feel real and up to date, but that did not stop him from making certain artistic choices when he felt like it. And so he did in the second movie. And so did Johnston in the third. In the same way that we can accept that frilled-Dilophosaurus is just 'speculative', we can also say that the scaly Raptors are due to 'speculative' reasons; who's to say that the feathers were not a characteristic of a certain age span -- and that later in life they shed them and develop scales instead? What if they are an undiscovered species that regressed to a scaly configuration? We can play with that however we want. Point is, we'll never know.

You also have to keep in mind that the Jurassic Park Tyrannosaurus and Velociraptor are some of the most well known movie characters, and their look has become embedded in the public imaginary -- changing the Raptors so radically, in a sequel no less, would influence the film negatively. The filmmakers know that. Were this a remake, or something separate, it would be different. I'll absolutely welcome another Dinosaur movie with up to date Dromeosaurids.

I'm an enormous enthusiast of all things Dinosaurs, and would love to see up to date creatures myself -- but I absolutely understand why they would keep the design very much parallel to its precedent incarnations.

Vertigo forgive me.

Aspie

Aspie

i just want to see things that resemble dinosaurs vs humans

Crazy Rich

Crazy Rich

If people want the most accurate thing possible, they can read about it in a book or on the internet, you know, do actual research rather than take a Hollywood film's grasp on true paleontology at face value.

I love how in the start of it all they put all this thought and research into making the dinosaurs look like convincingly real living things you can go up and touch, I really do love it. But now looking towards a sequel, the thought of doing something radical like changing the Velociraptor from reptilian skin to feathers for the sake of just being more accurate is, well... what you call being accurate for the better, I call the rape of a movie icon.

Vertigo

Vertigo

Good post, Omega. I did feel similarly to you when Trevorrow dropped his "no feathers" tweet forever ago, but it's stirred up some very different feelings to actually see the result. Possibly because my recently car crash-buggered neck has been making me so irascible that I'd triple-suplex a bunny if it looked at me wrong.
Anyway...

Quote from: Omegazilla on Jul 09, 2014, 06:17:03 PM
Jurassic Park resolved a lot of 'popular' myths about Dinosaurs (slow, stupid, upright) but introduced in time myths of its own (8-feet tall Velociraptors, frilled Dilophosaurus). Every time I mention Dilophosaurus in a conversation (and that's 0.3% of my yearly conversations) I have to point out that no, we have zero proof that Dilophosaurus had frills, because a good lot of people are convinced that they absolutely did, based on what they saw in Jurassic Park.

That's exactly the issue here. Jurassic Park is the avenue through which dinosaur research is disseminated into the public consciousness. A new film in the series has the capability to educate or miseducate 90% of the people who enter the cinema.

In the original film, they made fanciful leaps for the purpose of making the point that fossilised bones don't tell you everything - but that point has now been made, there's a reason they haven't popped Dilophosaurus back in there when everything else has made a reappearance. And as you say, there's now a vast multitude of people who are miseducated about it.

Quote from: Omegazilla on Jul 09, 2014, 06:17:03 PMIn the same way that we can accept that frilled-Dilophosaurus is just 'speculative', we can also say that the scaly Raptors are due to 'speculative' reasons; who's to say that the feathers were not a characteristic of a certain age span -- and that later in life they shed them and develop scales instead? What if they are an undiscovered species that regressed to a scaly configuration? We can play with that however we want. Point is, we'll never know.

That is indeed a reasonable way to justify it (to yourself; I doubt a screenplay would ever go into that much depth). An animal from a feather-bearing line which reached a particularly enormous weight, or lived in scorching conditions and needed a high activity level, would have natural insulation and wouldn't require a feathery covering. Tyrannosaurus is one example of that, and did even go so far as to re-evolve scales.
I don't think either of those would apply to any known dromaeosaurid, though. There's also the matter of its wings: they weren't there for insulation. They evolved either for balance or for covering eggs, both of which they'd always have a need for.

Quote from: Omegazilla on Jul 09, 2014, 06:17:03 PMYou also have to keep in mind that the Jurassic Park Tyrannosaurus and Velociraptor are some of the most well known movie characters, and their look has become embedded in the public imaginary -- changing the Raptors so radically, in a sequel no less, would influence the film negatively. The filmmakers know that. Were this a remake, or something separate, it would be different. I'll absolutely welcome another Dinosaur movie with up to date Dromeosaurids.

Granted, those raptors were a very cool design. Here's the thing: Jurassic Park is never going anywhere. It's made, we can watch it (and its dinosaur designs) any time we want. But it's a product of its time, and that time's over. Just like adding authentic dromies isn't going to make the film great or terrible, taking out the 'raptors' in favour of something more realistic isn't going to drastically change the impact of the film. It might aggravate some people - just as the current decision has. But it'll be the responsible thing to do, and like I keep saying, it's in the spirit of the original film/book.

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

Vertigo, check this out. The comments made me laugh so hard :D

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

Vertigo

Vertigo

Jebus, it takes a very special person indeed to get Microraptor scaly.

DoomRulz

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

Quote from: DoomRulz on Jul 09, 2014, 08:09:03 PM
Quote from: KiramidHead on Jul 09, 2014, 07:58:59 PM
Quote from: DoomRulz on Jul 09, 2014, 07:52:30 PM
Vertigo, check this out. The comments made me laugh so hard :D

http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k93/DoomRulz_316/dino_zps01641b3e.png~original

I can barely read it.

Crap, can't zoom in?

I can zoom the browser in, but it's still blurry as hell. I ended up just finding the Facebook page myself and reading it there. :laugh:

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

Ah OK, sorry about that. I don't know how to hotlink the picture in its original res >:(

Alien³

Alien³

Quote from: Omegazilla on Jul 09, 2014, 06:17:03 PM

Spielberg wanted lifelike animals, and wanted them to feel real and up to date, but that did not stop him from making certain artistic choices when he felt like it. And so he did in the second movie. And so did Johnston in the third. In the same way that we can accept that frilled-Dilophosaurus is just 'speculative', we can also say that the scaly Raptors are due to 'speculative' reasons; who's to say that the feathers were not a characteristic of a certain age span -- and that later in life they shed them and develop scales instead? What if they are an undiscovered species that regressed to a scaly configuration? We can play with that however we want. Point is, we'll never know.

You also have to keep in mind that the Jurassic Park Tyrannosaurus and Velociraptor are some of the most well known movie characters, and their look has become embedded in the public imaginary -- changing the Raptors so radically, in a sequel no less, would influence the film negatively. The filmmakers know that. Were this a remake, or something separate, it would be different. I'll absolutely welcome another Dinosaur movie with up to date Dromeosaurids.

I'm an enormous enthusiast of all things Dinosaurs, and would love to see up to date creatures myself -- but I absolutely understand why they would keep the design very much parallel to its precedent incarnations.

Totally agree.

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

Quote from: Vertigo on Jul 09, 2014, 08:00:54 PM
Jebus, it takes a very special person indeed to get Microraptor scaly.

John Sibbick? lol

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

I just watched Rise of the Planet of the Apes for the first time. Yes, my faith in JW has been restored. That was a really well-done film!

Blacklabel

Blacklabel

The list of "almost" every single dinosaur in Jurassic World

Spoiler
Missing from this are the Velociraptors and the new Diabolus Rex... probably because they are too dangerous to be seen by regular park visitors. Not part of the tour, then. and OH SHIT, SON! BARYONIX!  One of my faves. ;D 8) :laugh: Brachiosaurus doesnt appear to be back. :'(

Baryonix, Dimorphodon and music by Michael Giacchino (lol) were all present in the PS1 Lost World videogame... so that game influenced the new film? eh! X)

[close]

First Blood

First Blood

Quote from: Blacklabel on Jul 14, 2014, 02:41:28 AM
The list of "almost" every single dinosaur in Jurassic World

Spoiler
Missing from this are the Velociraptors and the new Diabolus Rex... probably because they are too dangerous to be seen by regular park visitors. Not part of the tour, then. and OH SHIT, SON! BARYONIX!  One of my faves. ;D 8) :laugh: Brachiosaurus doesnt appear to be back. :'(

[close]

"We have a T-Rex!"

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed