Jurassic Park Series

Started by War Wager, Mar 25, 2007, 10:10:16 PM

Author
Jurassic Park Series (Read 1,366,561 times)

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

The baby rexes had feathers in the TLW novel.

Crazy Rich

Crazy Rich

Quote from: DoomRulz on Jul 07, 2014, 11:54:19 PM
You're right, and it should be that size. Want a big dromaeosaurid? Here's your answer.

Yep, big guy.

Quote from: KiramidHead on Jul 07, 2014, 11:50:44 PM
And I've never seen anyone bitch about the Dilo not being accurate.

Don't get me wrong. I have loved Jurassic Park since I was 3, and I still do. It's what started my childhood love for dinos. I'm looking a little more forward to Jurassic World even.

But when someone makes an argument like "these guys should start having more feathers because it's more accurate", someone like me then  feels the urge to step up and say "Jurassic Park wasn't that accurate in the first place". Pretty damn good in places mind you which is nice, but in other places not so much, in the case of Dilophosaurus completely made up even (didn't actually have frills or venom as far as we know), but I still do enjoy Jurassic Park's take on a Dilophosaurus, it's memorable even.

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

Quote from: Space Sweeper on Jul 08, 2014, 12:10:52 AM
Doom... you're alone and nobody else cares. In JP3, there were, like six quills on the male's heads- not feathers... you're watching a film, aesthetic over accuracy to creatures that once lived, but have never been seen alive with the human eye. Nobody gives a shit, especially when a six foot lizard is much scarier than a six foot turkey.

Jack Horner can kiss my bootypipe and bubble some bongwater in there, with a poof of pink eye-guaranteeing smoke.

If you say so.

Quote from: Vertigo on Jul 08, 2014, 12:20:53 AM
Quote from: DoomRulz on Jul 08, 2014, 12:04:30 AM
It was only, what a year or two prior to that that major discoveries were coming out of the Xinjiang Province, I believe?

As far as I remember, the big tipping point was Microraptor, about a year after JP3 came out. Other feathered dinosaurs had been discovered earlier (Sinosauropteryx was way back in 1996), but the evidence was ambiguous, and many scientists argued whether they represented feathers at all. There was no debate about Microraptor though, it was beautifully preserved, and had pennaceous flight feathers as well as the downy filaments we'd found in other dinosaurs.

Yeah, right after people recovered from the Archeoraptor hullabaloo, haha. Hey man, would you pay to see a fully-feathered Utahraptor on-screen?

Gilfryd

Gilfryd

The dinosaur designs will stay fixed into what people are familiar with from the first film, even if there are tweaks. Unless another big dinosaur movie on the scale of Jurassic Park comes out with feathered dinos we'll continue to see 90s post-JP designs for years to come. The Walking with Dinosaurs movie could've been that next big thing before it became kiddie crap.

BANE

BANE

Quote from: Cvalda on Jul 08, 2014, 12:20:22 AM
Quote from: BANE on Jul 08, 2014, 12:15:29 AM
I was actually attacked by two wild turkeys on my way home from the book store this past winter. They were about 3.5 feet tall each. I don't know if you've ever slammed a turkey on a sidewalk by its neck before, but let me tell you I'm no longer afraid of any bird at all.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jB2QFmXUCo#

u wot m8
You just need to get a choke hold on it.

Take a peck to the arm and strangle that thing. It's not like it's hiding knives under it's feathers like a shady fake Rolex dealer in New York.

KNIGHT

KNIGHT

Quote from: Gilfryd on Jul 08, 2014, 12:31:11 AM
The dinosaur designs will stay fixed into what people are familiar with from the first film, even if there are tweaks. Unless another big dinosaur movie on the scale of Jurassic Park comes out with feathered dinos we'll continue to see 90s post-JP designs for years to come. The Walking with Dinosaurs movie could've been that next big thing before it became kiddie crap.
I think it's gonna be a LONG time before we get another JP-level dinosaur series. I can't really even think of anything that could rival it really.

Quote from: BANE on Jul 08, 2014, 12:31:59 AM
Quote from: Cvalda on Jul 08, 2014, 12:20:22 AM
Quote from: BANE on Jul 08, 2014, 12:15:29 AM
I was actually attacked by two wild turkeys on my way home from the book store this past winter. They were about 3.5 feet tall each. I don't know if you've ever slammed a turkey on a sidewalk by its neck before, but let me tell you I'm no longer afraid of any bird at all.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jB2QFmXUCo#

u wot m8

Take a peck to the arm and strangle that thing. It's not like it's hiding knives under it's feathers like a shady fake Rolex dealer in New York.

They do have feet though, usually with the addition of massive talons or claws or other terrifying things that can probably do more damage than their beak and, when the creature is being held by the neck, could probably easily reach your stomach area...

Space Sweeper

Space Sweeper

ps- your raptor jesus is a disrespectful portrayal of both raptors and jesus

not enough flowing hair, not enough feathers

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

They should add feathers in Carnosaur 4.

Crazy Rich

Crazy Rich

Here is the new Velociraptor vocals.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Owj52XhoxI#ws

The attack comes not from the front, but from the side.

KNIGHT

KNIGHT

Quote from: Crazy Rich on Jul 08, 2014, 12:40:59 AM

The attack comes not from the front, but from the sides.

I think this would honestly be better, and much more frightening in an intense chase scene that will probably be in the movie.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sr_SGkqrrdM#ws

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
"It's calling for help!..."
Spoiler
ECH! ECH!
[close]
[close]
[close]
[close]

BANE

BANE

Quote from: KNIGHT on Jul 08, 2014, 12:34:33 AM
They do have feet though, usually with the addition of massive talons or claws or other terrifying things that can probably do more damage than their beak and, when the creature is being held by the neck, could probably easily reach your stomach area...
Indeed.

But I'm not going to just hold it and hope it calms down...

Vertigo

Vertigo

Quote from: Crazy Rich on Jul 08, 2014, 12:23:41 AMBut when someone makes an argument like "these guys should start having more feathers because it's more accurate", someone like me then  feels the urge to step up and say "Jurassic Park wasn't that accurate in the first place". Pretty damn good in places mind you which is nice, but in other places not so much, in the case of Dilophosaurus completely made up even (didn't actually have frills or venom as far as we know), but I still do enjoy Jurassic Park's take on a Dilophosaurus, it's memorable even.

There was still some semi-scientific basis for those decisions. At the time, Dilophosaurus was thought to have a very weak bite, and many palaeontologists thought it wouldn't have been capable of killing large prey without bending its skull. Crichton used a bit of imagination, and probably picked up on some speculation floating around, and gave it a venomous bite to solve the question of how Dilophosaurus hunted. The point was that some physical traits just don't fossilise.

For the film, they took that concept further, by adding the frill. No, there's no evidence that any theropod had a wide, fleshy neck frill, but such a thing wouldn't be preserved in 99% of cases. That's the whole point of Dilophosaurus, as portrayed in Jurassic Park - what could have been.

Quote from: BANE on Jul 08, 2014, 12:31:59 AM[Cassowary]

A cassowary has thigh muscles that're almost as wide as its torso, gigantic blade-like claws, and jump ridiculously high. I wouldn't advise tangling with one if you fancy your intestines - give them flesh-tearing teeth, predatory inclination and pack hunting, and you essentially have yourself a Deinonychus.

Quote from: DoomRulz on Jul 08, 2014, 12:28:09 AM
Hey man, would you pay to see a fully-feathered Utahraptor on-screen?

That I would. With the right design, they could be pretty damn creepy.

I think this is what people are forgetting - expecting that a feathered dromie would just resemble the dreaded "six foot turkey". Think about this - an iguana isn't any more inherently creepy than a parrot. It's up to the designers to find a look that works, because Jurassic Park's raptors were never automatically destined to be as menacing as they were.

Crazy Rich

Crazy Rich

Quote from: KNIGHT on Jul 08, 2014, 12:43:47 AM
Quote from: Crazy Rich on Jul 08, 2014, 12:40:59 AM

The attack comes not from the front, but from the sides.

I think this would honestly be better, and much more frightening in an intense chase scene that will probably be in the movie.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sr_SGkqrrdM#ws

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
"It's calling for help!..."
Spoiler
ECH! ECH!
[close]
[close]
[close]
[close]

I shat myself.

Requiem28

Requiem28

Better pic....

Spoiler
[close]

Cvalda

Cvalda

:laugh:

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed