Jurassic Park Series

Started by War Wager, Mar 25, 2007, 10:10:16 PM

Author
Jurassic Park Series (Read 1,367,508 times)

KNIGHT

KNIGHT

They aren't accurate raptors to begin with, being like double the normal size of a real Velociraptor.

BANE

BANE

I'm sorry Doom but I'm honestly somewhat more frightened of a large lizard than what you're suggesting, which is a large pidgeon.

Crazy Rich

Crazy Rich

Quote from: DoomRulz on Jul 07, 2014, 11:33:25 PM
Quote from: Crazy Rich on Jul 07, 2014, 11:29:16 PM
Quote from: DoomRulz on Jul 07, 2014, 11:25:35 PM
Quote from: Crazy Rich on Jul 07, 2014, 11:23:57 PM
Quote from: DoomRulz on Jul 07, 2014, 11:20:43 PM
They did in JP3.

http://p2.la-img.com/930/18669/6321823_3_l.jpg

Point is there is still at least one without feathers in JP3, not all of them have feathers.

They used it as a way to differentiate between the males and females in the film.

Which is frankly, stupid, if you want to "portray animals that actually existed" because feathered creatures don't differentiate sex through having more or less feathers, but through colour and pattern, assuming the individual species differentiates gender at all. Good thing this is just a movie and not a serious documentary on real pre-historic life.

I'm not buying the "if you're going to portray animals that used to actually exist on this planet" argument either because if that were the case than Velociraptor would be about the size or smaller than a German Shepard in the first place.

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

And I've never seen anyone bitch about the Dilo not being accurate.

ShadowPred

ShadowPred

Lol, dinos with feathers. GTFO and take your science-ruining shiz outta here!

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

Quote from: Crazy Rich on Jul 07, 2014, 11:49:16 PM
Quote from: DoomRulz on Jul 07, 2014, 11:33:25 PM
Quote from: Crazy Rich on Jul 07, 2014, 11:29:16 PM
Quote from: DoomRulz on Jul 07, 2014, 11:25:35 PM
Quote from: Crazy Rich on Jul 07, 2014, 11:23:57 PM
Quote from: DoomRulz on Jul 07, 2014, 11:20:43 PM
They did in JP3.

http://p2.la-img.com/930/18669/6321823_3_l.jpg

Point is there is still at least one without feathers in JP3, not all of them have feathers.

They used it as a way to differentiate between the males and females in the film.

Which is frankly, stupid, if you want to "portray animals that actually existed" because feathered creatures don't differentiate sex through having more or less feathers, but through colour and pattern, assuming the individual species differentiates gender at all. Good thing this is just a movie and not a serious documentary on real pre-historic life.

I'm not buying the "if you're going to portray animals that used to actually exist on this planet" argument either because if that were the case than Velociraptor would be about the size or smaller than a German Shepard in the first place.

You're right, and it should be that size. Want a big dromaeosaurid? Here's your answer.

Quote from: KiramidHead on Jul 07, 2014, 11:50:44 PM
And I've never seen anyone bitch about the Dilo not being accurate.

Then you haven't been paying attention.

Blacklabel

Blacklabel

Quote from: ShadowPred on Jul 07, 2014, 11:51:11 PM
Lol, dinos with feathers. GTFO and take your science-ruining shiz outta here!

QFT.

Vertigo

Vertigo

Quote from: Cvalda on Jul 07, 2014, 11:16:51 PM
Aside from the fact that they didn't have them in the first three movies, but whatevs.

We didn't even know they had feathers at that point. The avian connection had achieved virtually unanimous acceptance by JP3, but most feathered dinosaur discoveries happened after that point, and it took until 2007 before direct evidence of them was found in eudromaeosaurs (in the form of wings, rather than funky mohawks).

Jurassic Park's primary ethos, and root of its success, is in portraying more-or-less lifelike dinosaurs. As far as we know right now, there has never been an animal that looked similar to this.

:edit: Ugh, ninja'd out the ass. Really need to speed up my typing.

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

It was only, what a year or two prior to that that major discoveries were coming out of the Xinjiang Province, I believe?

Space Sweeper

Space Sweeper

Doom... you're alone and nobody else cares. In JP3, there were, like six quills on the male's heads- not feathers... you're watching a film, aesthetic over accuracy to creatures that once lived, but have never been seen alive with the human eye. Nobody gives a shit, especially when a six foot lizard is much scarier than a six foot turkey.

Jack Horner can kiss my bootypipe and bubble some bongwater in there, with a poof of pink eye-guaranteeing smoke.

BANE

BANE

I was actually attacked by two wild turkeys on my way home from the book store this past winter. They were about 3.5 feet tall each. I don't know if you've ever slammed a turkey on a sidewalk by its neck before, but let me tell you I'm no longer afraid of any bird at all.

SpaceMarines

SpaceMarines

The amphibian DNA removed their ability to grow feathers.

Bam. Explained.

KNIGHT

KNIGHT

Quote from: BANE on Jul 08, 2014, 12:15:29 AM
I was actually attacked by two wild turkeys on my way home from the book store this past winter. They were about 3.5 feet tall each. I don't know if you've ever slammed a turkey on a sidewalk by its neck before, but let me tell you I'm no longer afraid of any bird at all.

I for one am terrified of anything bigger than a parrot.

Still doesn't mean I want to see it in a movie.

Cvalda

Cvalda

Quote from: BANE on Jul 08, 2014, 12:15:29 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jB2QFmXUCo#

u wot m8

Vertigo

Vertigo

Quote from: DoomRulz on Jul 08, 2014, 12:04:30 AM
It was only, what a year or two prior to that that major discoveries were coming out of the Xinjiang Province, I believe?

As far as I remember, the big tipping point was Microraptor, about a year after JP3 came out. Other feathered dinosaurs had been discovered earlier (Sinosauropteryx was way back in 1996), but the evidence was ambiguous, and many scientists argued whether they represented feathers at all. There was no debate about Microraptor though, it was beautifully preserved, and had pennaceous flight feathers as well as the downy filaments we'd found in other dinosaurs.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed