Jurassic Park Series

Started by War Wager, Mar 25, 2007, 10:10:16 PM

Author
Jurassic Park Series (Read 1,366,557 times)

Vertigo

Vertigo

Quote from: BANE on May 05, 2014, 08:26:17 PM
I'm not worried about a raptor biting me I'm worried about the claws.

I can punch a raptor in the face if need be. I can't do much against those foot swords.

It's not clear exactly what they used the toe claw for. They originally evolved for tree climbing in more basal animals, and Deinonychus very likely used them for clinging on to large prey.

They probably functioned as a more direct weapon too, the fossil of Velociraptor and Protoceratops locked in combat seems to show the dromie kicking or latched on to the ceratopsian's throat. The surprisingly stocky legs of dromaeosaurids also suggests a design intended to reduce leg stress. But, in a study of numerous foot bones from a wide array of dromie species, no evidence of stress was found, at all.
And the thing is, when you look at what a nasty bite they had, that may have been all the weaponry they needed. If you tried to punch it in the face, odds are you'd be losing that hand.

Quote from: DoomRulz on May 05, 2014, 09:57:11 PMNot necessarily. I don't know of any study of dromaeosaurid hunting behaviour (Vertigo?) but I think it's safe to say they would swarm you before you knew how to react.

Unfortunately, their predatory behaviour is still very mysterious - it would take a freak set of footprints to clear up the issue.
Deinonychus is the only dromie suggested to be social, and given that the hippo-sized Tenontosaurus was top of its menu, it must have been a pack hunter too. It would take around ten Deinonychus to match the weight of a subadult Tenontosaurus, so 'swarm' sounds like the operative word.
They weren't particularly fast, but their light build suggests very high energy, so I imagine they'd tire out the prey over a long chase like today's wolves. At which point, I think they'd jump on it and pull it down through weight of numbers, clinging on with those toe claws, while repeatedly biting it.

If the toe claw did function as a weapon, I'd guess that one Deinonychus would try to take a kick at the prey's throat while the others weighed it down - similarly to a lion hunt, in which one predator goes for the choke hold while the others keep the prey subdued.

King Rathalos

King Rathalos

People who always wonder why the characters in these movies never try to shoot the dinosaurs, or why guns don't hurt them; well you now have your answer.

Spoiler
[close]

Crazy Rich

Crazy Rich

Bullshit, blast it with a tank gun and it'll be down in one hit.

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

Quote from: Vertigo on May 05, 2014, 10:55:10 PM
If the toe claw did function as a weapon, I'd guess that one Deinonychus would try to take a kick at the prey's throat while the others weighed it down - similarly to a lion hunt, in which one predator goes for the choke hold while the others keep the prey subdued.

There's evidence which shows the claw of Velociraptor acted more like a puncturing device rather than slashing blade, used to puncture holes in its prey's airway while bringing it down. It's possible Deinonychus was the same way but a larger claw for him might have meant better slashing abilities.

MudButt

MudButt

Quote from: King Rathalos on May 06, 2014, 12:30:48 AM
People who always wonder why the characters in these movies never try to shoot the dinosaurs, or why guns don't hurt them; well you now have your answer.

Spoiler
[close]

I'm sure after a while bullets would do something to them... right.. ? oh god.

Requiem28

Requiem28

Quote from: MudButt on May 06, 2014, 03:13:43 AM

Spoiler
[close]

Maybe arrows.

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

Quote from: Requiem28 on May 06, 2014, 03:19:23 AM

Spoiler
[close]

Maybe arrows.

MudButt

MudButt

Quote from: Requiem28 on May 06, 2014, 03:19:23 AM

Spoiler
[close]

Maybe arrows.

mah negroe *bro fist*

xeno-kaname

xeno-kaname

Alan straight up kills two raptors in the book and Muldoon takes down some others as well. I wonder why they don't really show dinosaurs die often. As far as people actually killing one, I think only Kelly's ridiculous scene may count. Do they think audiences will feel more bad for the dinosaurs than the humans, as is usually the case with dogs and other animals in movies?

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

Eh, you don't see anyone feeling bad for the shark in Jaws. Don't see why it should be any different with the dinos.

Vertigo

Vertigo

Quote from: DoomRulz on May 06, 2014, 01:20:51 AM
Quote from: Vertigo on May 05, 2014, 10:55:10 PM

There's evidence which shows the claw of Velociraptor acted more like a puncturing device rather than slashing blade, used to puncture holes in its prey's airway while bringing it down. It's possible Deinonychus was the same way but a larger claw for him might have meant better slashing abilities.

I was going to bring that up, but in my opinion that study's based on flawed findings. For starters, it's based on estimates of their muscle function and strength, which is always extremely tenuous in dinosaurs. Deinonychus had previously been thought to have a very weak bite based on reconstructions of their jaw muscles, but actual physical tooth-on-bone evidence showed the opposite was true - that's just one example.
Secondly, dromaeosaurid claws would have been very different in life. All that's fossilised is the bony core, but they would have been surrounded by a large keratin sheath. In some species this would have doubled the length of the claw, and there may have been extra details to them, such as serrations or fine edges to make them more effective for slashing, or lode-bearing thickness to aid climbing.

One interesting fact is that killing claw shape was highly variable in dromies - some were more hook-like, others were straightened and more knife-like. In Deinonychus' case, this even varied within members of the same genus.

But yeah, assuming the claws were weapons, I'd guess they were puncturing tools delivered by a kick. Cassowaries still do something similar, and their claws aren't nearly as nasty as dromies'.

Quote from: KiramidHead on May 06, 2014, 04:36:58 AM
Eh, you don't see anyone feeling bad for the shark in Jaws.

I do. :/

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

Quote from: Vertigo on May 06, 2014, 07:42:35 AM

Quote from: KiramidHead on May 06, 2014, 04:36:58 AM
Eh, you don't see anyone feeling bad for the shark in Jaws.

I do. :/

Vertigo

Vertigo

What? It's cute. It just needs a cuddle. It's crabby because people don't love it enough.

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

Quote from: Vertigo on May 06, 2014, 07:52:59 AM
What? It's cute. It just needs a cuddle. It's crabby because people don't love it enough.

Farewell and ado, to ye fair Spanish ladies...

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

Quote from: Vertigo on May 06, 2014, 07:52:59 AM

He'll give you one hell of a love bite.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed