Jurassic Park Series

Started by War Wager, Mar 25, 2007, 10:10:16 PM

Author
Jurassic Park Series (Read 1,367,386 times)

Vertigo

Vertigo

Quote from: DoomRulz on May 05, 2014, 01:44:47 PM
I won't be purchasing the article at this time, but does this mean Deinonychus could crush bones?

No, that wasn't part of its feeding strategy - we find fairly few toothmarks from dromies on the bones of their prey. You can tell from the teeth, as they aren't designed to bear downwards with great concentration of force like a tyrannosaurid tooth - they're fairly short, curved backwards, with serrations along both edges, and closely packed in the tooth bed. If they used their jaws for killing, it would have been to deliver high-tissue-damage bites, using the high bite force to penetrate the teeth deeply, then with the curved and serrated edges they'd have little resistance as they jerked their heads back and tore off a chunk of meat.

When it came to feeding, dromies were probably too slight to have a digestive tract capable of dealing with bone. They'd have stripped meat off the carcass, rather than just gulping down as much as they could fit in their mouths, rex-style.

Quote from: xeno-kaname on May 05, 2014, 01:57:54 PMSo if this is true, if a raptor bit your arm it could snap it in two pretty easily right? With that bite force and sharp teeth it sounds easy to me. My knowledge in this area isn't much though so I'm mostly speculating.

I keep imagining a dog biting a long carrot and splitting it into 3 pieces  :P I'm probably not even close  :laugh:

Well, I'm not sure what the effect is from an alligator biting an arm, but it should do more crushing damage than what a similar-sized raptor would (to give you some idea). An alligator's thick, straight teeth are shaped in such a way that the force of the bite is concentrated downwards, while a Deinonychus' teeth angle the force backwards in more of a stripping motion. I'd imagine they wouldn't break your arm but would sheer right through your skin and scratch the bone - those jaws were adapted for tackling the thick scaly skin of large dinosaurs, rather than soft bony mammals like ourselves.

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

Quote from: Vertigo on May 05, 2014, 05:53:55 PM
No, that wasn't part of its feeding strategy - we find fairly few toothmarks from dromies on the bones of their prey. You can tell from the teeth, as they aren't designed to bear downwards with great concentration of force like a tyrannosaurid tooth - they're fairly short, curved backwards, with serrations along both edges, and closely packed in the tooth bed. If they used their jaws for killing, it would have been to deliver high-tissue-damage bites, using the high bite force to penetrate the teeth deeply, then with the curved and serrated edges they'd have little resistance as they jerked their heads back and tore off a chunk of meat.

Sounds like a mini-me carnosaur feeding tactic.

BANE

BANE

I'm not worried about a raptor biting me I'm worried about the claws.

I can punch a raptor in the face if need be. I can't do much against those foot swords.

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

They attack from sides. *woosh*

BANE

BANE

Well obviously I'm going to have my wits about me.

I swing around and clock that bitch in the nose before it even knew what hit it.

First Blood

First Blood

Try to show a little respect.

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

Quote from: First Blood on May 05, 2014, 08:38:27 PM
Try to show a little respect.

Clever girl.

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

Quote from: BANE on May 05, 2014, 08:26:17 PM

I can punch a raptor in the face if need be. I can't do much against those foot swords.

Uh huh.

BANE

BANE

Gimme a break DoomRulz. They jump claws first.

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

Well, I'm sure Tembo could take out a raptor with a punch.

BANE

BANE

As long as Van Owen didn't f**k around with his fists.

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

Quote from: BANE on May 05, 2014, 09:54:07 PM
Gimme a break DoomRulz. They jump claws first.

Not necessarily. I don't know of any study of dromaeosaurid hunting behaviour (Vertigo?) but I think it's safe to say they would swarm you before you knew how to react.

BANE

BANE

This is a one on one scenario DoomRulz.

If there were any chance of me being swarmed I wouldn't be anywhere near that spot unless I had an automatic rifle.

Xenodog

Xenodog

Quote from: Vertigo on May 05, 2014, 05:53:55 PM
Quote from: DoomRulz on May 05, 2014, 01:44:47 PM
I won't be purchasing the article at this time, but does this mean Deinonychus could crush bones?

When it came to feeding, dromies were probably too slight to have a digestive tract capable of dealing with bone. They'd have stripped meat off the carcass, rather than just gulping down as much as they could fit in their mouths, rex-style.

Quote from: xeno-kaname on May 05, 2014, 01:57:54 PMSo if this is true, if a raptor bit your arm it could snap it in two pretty easily right? With that bite force and sharp teeth it sounds easy to me. My knowledge in this area isn't much though so I'm mostly speculating.

I keep imagining a dog biting a long carrot and splitting it into 3 pieces  :P I'm probably not even close  :laugh:

Well, I'm not sure what the effect is from an alligator biting an arm, but it should do more crushing damage than what a similar-sized raptor would (to give you some idea). An alligator's thick, straight teeth are shaped in such a way that the force of the bite is concentrated downwards, while a Deinonychus' teeth angle the force backwards in more of a stripping motion. I'd imagine they wouldn't break your arm but would sheer right through your skin and scratch the bone - those jaws were adapted for tackling the thick scaly skin of large dinosaurs, rather than soft bony mammals like ourselves.

Similarly power to crush bone doesn't mean it will be used in hunting. Modern predators, especially hyaenas, can crunch and eat bone but rarely break any in hunting prey.
May be used in fights with rivals though.

First Blood

First Blood

Quote from: BANE on May 05, 2014, 08:26:17 PM

You saw how quickly the one overpowered Muldoon and knocked him to the ground right? I think you're underestimating the animal's strength.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed