Jurassic Park Series

Started by War Wager, Mar 25, 2007, 10:10:16 PM

Author
Jurassic Park Series (Read 1,366,799 times)

Cvalda

Cvalda

Quote from: Blacklabel on Apr 30, 2014, 03:51:53 PM
you just hate kids in general. Admit it.  ;D
You will too after you finish your JPIII rewatch ;D

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

Quote from: Blacklabel on Apr 30, 2014, 03:20:07 PM
^what?  :laugh:

David Koepp received a letter from a lid complaining that the Dinos took too long to show up in the first movie, and he kept it posted above his Desk while wtiting TLW. :laugh:

Blacklabel

Blacklabel

quotes from the TOR article Alien3 posted...

QuoteThe problem with The Lost World is that it eliminates that sense of isolation.

Noooooooooo... the problem is that it is just so poorly written. :P

QuoteIn turn, The Lost World becomes a story that is utterly powered by the motivations of women; a scientist who wants to understand nature, a girl who wants to know her father, a mother—and father, as it is the male T-Rex stomping through California—who will do anything to get their child back.

Yeah that's all really cool. But it's not enough to save the film for me. :P

QuoteAgain, I would like to point out: a woman, who is a scientist, cares so much about said science that she essentially guides us through the whole movie. That alone is reason enough for applause, no matter how much Ian Malcolm wants everyone to believe she's crazy.

But she's proven time and time again to be dumb enough to get in dangerous situations where she "should" know better as a scientist.... if the character was written better then it would be actually applause worthy...  :P

Cvalda

Cvalda

Trying to paint it as some feminist genre masterwork, lulz. It ain't no Gamera trilogy, lady :P

Blacklabel

Blacklabel

ladies in the gamera films get shit done.

Sarah Harding ends up feeling like yet another damsel in distress.... disguised as a strong character.

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

And it tried to pass off an ecoterrorist as a hero. *Gags

Cvalda

Cvalda

Speaking of the Gamera trilogy... from Ebert's review of The Lost World:

QuoteThe monster-stepping-on-cars sequences in the current Japanese import "Gamera: Guardian of the Universe'' are more entertaining.

;D ;D ;D ;D

Alien³

Alien³

Quote from: Blacklabel on Apr 30, 2014, 04:07:03 PM
Sarah Harding ends up feeling like yet another damsel in distress.... disguised as a strong character.

A real damsel when she's firing the tranquilizer at the male Rex on the boat.

Vertigo

Vertigo

Quote from: Alien³ on Apr 30, 2014, 03:54:04 PM
I'm, eh, just gonna leave this here...

http://www.tor.com/blogs/2013/03/why-doesnt-anyone-like-the-lost-world-jurassic-park

"The problem with The Lost World is that it eliminates that sense of isolation."

If that's a problem (I'm not sure it is), it's got to be pretty goddamn low on the list. Absence of any sense of wonder, hamfisted writing, awkward pacing, almost exactly the same roster of dinosaurs, bringing back Malcolm only to have him fully-shirted and largely humourless, portraying the animals almost solely as monsters, that slightly nasty tone that pervades right from the girl's attack at the start, losing the message...
I agree with the article that TLW would be better-remembered if it was the first film, and didn't have that towering yardstick of Jurassic Park to live up to, but it's still riddled with issues.

Got to say though, I don't mind Kelly (under the proviso that a child is arbitrary - she's no Eric, at least) or Rexzilla. And there are some pretty damned excellent action sequences.

:edit: More ninjaing :|

Blacklabel

Blacklabel

Quote from: Alien³ on Apr 30, 2014, 04:21:47 PM
Quote from: Blacklabel on Apr 30, 2014, 04:07:03 PM

A real damsel when she's firing the tranquilizer at the male Rex on the boat.

Her one moment of pure badassery. But it's too little too late. :P

Quote from: Vertigo on Apr 30, 2014, 04:22:44 PM

type faster.  ;D

Alien³

Alien³

Or just in time. ;)

Blacklabel

Blacklabel

Quote from: Cvalda on Apr 30, 2014, 03:59:40 PM
You will too after you finish your JPIII rewatch ;D

grunfgrumblegrunfgrumblgrunfgrumble.

I think i'll see that one in the weekend...

BANE

BANE

I want Jurassic World to have a woman get eaten.

Because in these movies it's like estrogen scares off dinosaurs or something.

Have I said this before? I don't know.

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

Quote from: Vertigo on Apr 30, 2014, 04:22:44 PM
Quote from: Alien³ on Apr 30, 2014, 03:54:04 PM
I'm, eh, just gonna leave this here...

http://www.tor.com/blogs/2013/03/why-doesnt-anyone-like-the-lost-world-jurassic-park

"The problem with The Lost World is that it eliminates that sense of isolation."

If that's a problem (I'm not sure it is), it's got to be pretty goddamn low on the list. Absence of any sense of wonder, hamfisted writing, awkward pacing, almost exactly the same roster of dinosaurs, bringing back Malcolm only to have him fully-shirted and largely humourless, portraying the animals almost solely as monsters, that slightly nasty tone that pervades right from the girl's attack at the start, losing the message...
I agree with the article that TLW would be better-remembered if it was the first film, and didn't have that towering yardstick of Jurassic Park to live up to, but it's still riddled with issues.

Got to say though, I don't mind Kelly (under the proviso that a child is arbitrary - she's no Eric, at least) or Rexzilla. And there are some pretty damned excellent action sequences.

The message definitely wasn't lost. TLW is about animal exploitation and humanity's greed.

Blacklabel

Blacklabel

Quote from: BANE on Apr 30, 2014, 05:14:01 PM
I want Jurassic World to have a woman get eaten.

Because in these movies it's like estrogen scares off dinosaurs or something.

Have I said this before? I don't know.

..it's not as if spielberg goes out of his way to avoid kilingl women in his films... :P

cough cough first scene in Jaws.. cough cough.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed