Jurassic Park Series

Started by War Wager, Mar 25, 2007, 10:10:16 PM

Author
Jurassic Park Series (Read 1,367,269 times)

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

I like the first JP movie better, but infinitely prefer the second book to the second film.

SIMULANT

SIMULANT

117. Rich people and Dinosaur islands don't mix

Bat Chain Puller

Bat Chain Puller

I'm currently going through a fantastic dinosaur phase and I've been reading "The Sound of Thunder" by Ray Bradbury to feed this obsession and fuel the fire that drives the dinosaur project I've been fleshing out.

Anyway, I thought it would be nice if when we return to Jurassic Park we get some gnarly, graceful, alien, bird like beasts. This passage from Sound of Thunder made me think of what could be the scary/creepy/grace of a Tyrannosaurus Rex.

QuoteIt came on great oiled, resilient, striding legs. It towered thirty feet above half of the trees, a great evil god, folding its delicate watchmaker's claws close to its oily reptilian chest. Each lower leg was a piston, a thousand pounds of white bone, sunk in thick ropes of muscle, sheathed over in a gleam of pebbled skin like the mail of a terrible warrior. Each thigh was a ton of meat, ivory, and steel mesh. And from the great breathing cage of the upper body those two delicate arms dangled out front, arms with hands which might pick up and examine men like toys, while the snake neck coiled. And the head itself, a ton of sculptured stone, lifted easily upon the sky. Its mouth gaped, exposing a fence of teeth like daggers. Its eyes rolled, ostrich eggs, empty of all expression save hunger. It closed its mouth in a death grin. It ran, its pelvic bones crushing aside trees and bushes, its taloned feet clawing damp earth, leaving prints six inches deep wherever it settled its weight.

It ran with a gliding ballet step, far too poised and balanced for its ten tons. It moved into a sunlit area warily, its beautifully reptilian hands feeling the air.

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

Quote from: Requiem28 on Aug 01, 2013, 11:22:58 PM
If they ever did make a complete reboot that followed the original book by Crichton very closely, these are the people that I would want to be cast, as I imagine their look in the book.  Some might be strange options, but it's exactly how I envision them to appear....

John Hammond - John Hurt

Alan Grant - Jim Carrey
http://image3.examiner.com/images/blog/EXID18077/images/58535045downtrac105200983207PM.jpg

Ian Malcolm - Stanley Tucci
http://snarkerati.com/movie-news/files/2012/03/stanley_tucci.jpg

Ellie Sattler - Rosamund Pike

Donald Gennaro - Will Arnett
http://img1.rnkr-static.com/user_node_img/50010/1000189480/full/will-arnett-in-black-polo-shirt-all-people-photo-u1.jpg

A fool like Jim Carrey has no business being in a Jurassic Park film. I don't respect him as an actor anymore. He was funny in the 90s but lately he's become very stale to me.

Remonster

Remonster

Replace Jim Carrey with Jeffrey Dean Morgan and I would watch that movie.

Vertigo

Vertigo

Quote from: Bat Chain Puller on Aug 02, 2013, 01:08:48 PM
Spoiler
QuoteIt came on great oiled, resilient, striding legs. It towered thirty feet above half of the trees, a great evil god, folding its delicate watchmaker's claws close to its oily reptilian chest. Each lower leg was a piston, a thousand pounds of white bone, sunk in thick ropes of muscle, sheathed over in a gleam of pebbled skin like the mail of a terrible warrior. Each thigh was a ton of meat, ivory, and steel mesh. And from the great breathing cage of the upper body those two delicate arms dangled out front, arms with hands which might pick up and examine men like toys, while the snake neck coiled. And the head itself, a ton of sculptured stone, lifted easily upon the sky. Its mouth gaped, exposing a fence of teeth like daggers. Its eyes rolled, ostrich eggs, empty of all expression save hunger. It closed its mouth in a death grin. It ran, its pelvic bones crushing aside trees and bushes, its taloned feet clawing damp earth, leaving prints six inches deep wherever it settled its weight.

It ran with a gliding ballet step, far too poised and balanced for its ten tons. It moved into a sunlit area warily, its beautifully reptilian hands feeling the air.
[close]

That is one ridiculously evocative bit of literature.

Dovahkiin

Dovahkiin

I'm currently going through a fantastic dinosaur phase and I've been reading "The Sound of Thunder" by Ray Bradbury to feed this obsession and fuel the fire that drives the dinosaur project I've been fleshing out.

Anyway, I thought it would be nice if when we return to Jurassic Park we get some gnarly, graceful, alien, bird like beasts. This passage from Sound of Thunder made me think of what could be the scary/creepy/grace of a Tyrannosaurus Rex.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-SUcoknWtAxs/UDFQGLgxJNI/AAAAAAAAIzM/APLuoudSSVs/s400/17DinosaurTalesStout.jpg

That is extremely awesome.

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

And then it dies, so...

Dovahkiin

Dovahkiin

Yeah. That part...ugghh...

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

Quote from: Remonster on Aug 02, 2013, 04:38:51 PM
Replace Jim Carrey with Jeffrey Dean Morgan and I would watch that movie.

http://images.starpulse.com/pictures/2009/03/03/previews/Jeffrey%20Dean%20Morgan-ALO-059981.jpg

Yes. Now, we've got a star-studded cast.

cloverfan98

cloverfan98

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-SUcoknWtAxs/UDFQGLgxJNI/AAAAAAAAIzM/APLuoudSSVs/s400/17DinosaurTalesStout.jpg

I wanna recommend a great little book I got from my Library called Dinosaur Tales by Ray Bradbury and it not only features that great epic A Sound of Thunder, but a few others as well including The Fog Horn which was made into The Beast From 20,000 Fathoms, and a short story about a stop motion animator. (sound like anyone we may know?) Here's the Amazon page.

http://www.amazon.com/Dinosaur-Tales-Ray-Bradbury/dp/0743458974/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1375502072&sr=1-1&keywords=ray+bradbury+dinosaur

Bat Chain Puller

Bat Chain Puller

That's the book I read it from.  ;)

I haven't checked out any of the other stories within. I'm afraid of some of them. They look like they might be rather silly and campish. Going to give them a shot none the less.

On the subject of recommending (dinosaur books) ...

http://www.amazon.com/Dinosaurs-Fantastic-New-View-Lost/dp/0792453573/ref=sr_1_9?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1375564294&sr=1-9&keywords=william+stout

I got this book for Christmas in 1981. Changed my life (at least my life concerning dinosaurs.) The one on the left is the one published in 81 and is the one I had (and have since reacquired over Amazon.) The other I believe is a more recently published edition. Don't know if there is any other goodies in there or if it's just a straight up reprint.

Anyway ... highly recommend for fans of Dinosaurs. 

Vertigo

Vertigo

That does look gorgeous. Any inside shots?

I've been thinking about ways to get my Vertilings interested in dinosaurs if/when they achieve existence. An accessible book with gorgeous imagery could work. For that matter, I'm always looking out for great examples of dinosaur art - seems hard to find books focusing entirely on it. I continuously rented a stunning art-based book from my library as a youngster, then one day it disappeared and I've never been able to track it down. Doesn't help that I have no idea what it was called.

Bat Chain Puller

Bat Chain Puller

A look inside ...

Spoiler

[close]

It is gorgeous. Very distinctive style. The artist (William Stout) even draws the boarders of his pictures (like a frame) and adorns them with all sorts of details. I started out with much simpler books on the subject. But this was a great bridge from childhood dinosaurs to seriously considering them as living breathing animals that actually existed.

Another great art book I recently purchased. Though a lot of it seems computer generated, Photoshopped, etc.

http://www.amazon.com/Dinosaur-Art-Worlds-Greatest-Paleoart/dp/0857685848/ref=sr_1_11?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1375564294&sr=1-11&keywords=william+stout

That book you remembered ... any particular image that stood out and struck you?

DJ Pu$$yface

DJ Pu$$yface

I remember that exact image on the cover from another book.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed