Jurassic Park Series

Started by War Wager, Mar 25, 2007, 10:10:16 PM

Author
Jurassic Park Series (Read 1,367,581 times)

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

Quote from: Cvalda on Jan 13, 2013, 04:36:49 PM
Quote from: OmegaZilla on Jan 13, 2013, 04:27:58 PM
If we're going there...

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-vUjPwzuraeo/TxZfd2vQu7I/AAAAAAAAAcI/xp_eJONkt50/s1600/Alien_AlienQueen.jpg

http://di1-2.shoppingshadow.com/images/pi/95/29/61/110677874-260x260-0-0_toy+island+vtg+1995+toy+island+terminator+2+t+1000.jpg

(And these are just examples)
Not very good examples. Aliens toys were made years after the film, and no toys were marketed for Alien 3. The series is not very kid friendly, although Aliens is the most so -- hence, the toys. Terminator 2 was also a one-off. Also, all of those films were rated R and never compromised themselves for a PG-13 rating to appeal to kids. All three Jurassic Park did.

You keep trotting out one-off examples. Jurassic Park, especially after the first one, just became like Star Wars or Transformers -- a marketing machine aimed at selling toys to kids. Denying it only makes you look like a fanboy desperate to position a franchise that obviously panders to kids as something that's mature and grown up, because you yourself were one of those kids and want it to grow up with you.

You and Hubbs should should just get a room already.

Eva

Eva

Quote from: Alien³ on Jan 13, 2013, 04:37:15 PM
Quote from: Eva on Jan 13, 2013, 04:24:29 PM
The biggest disappointment with TLW was IMO how they pretty much ditched the whole 'standing on the shoulders of others achievements and taking the next step for profit

Peter Ludlow ring a bell?

Ahem, no... :-\

Regarding TLW - yeah it makes sense that they made some big changes for the film. I haven't read it, but I've seen several films made from his stories and there's some pretty good ones concerning the dangers or misuse of technology - Westworld and Coma comes to mind.

ScardyFox

ScardyFox

Quote from: scarhunter92 on Jan 13, 2013, 04:42:10 PM
Quote from: Cvalda on Jan 13, 2013, 04:36:49 PMDenying it only makes you look like a fanboy desperate to position a franchise that obviously panders to kids as something that's mature and grown up, because you yourself were one of those kids and want it to grow up with you.

It must be horrible to hate fun and act "mature" all the time.

Cvalda mature?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lf_KrGP61uo#

scarhunter92

scarhunter92

notice the " "

Alien³

Alien³

Quote from: Eva on Jan 13, 2013, 04:45:07 PM
Quote from: Alien³ on Jan 13, 2013, 04:37:15 PM
The biggest disappointment with TLW was IMO how they pretty much ditched the whole 'standing on the shoulders of others achievements and taking the next step for profit

Peter Ludlow ring a bell?

Ahem, no... :-\

Regarding TLW - yeah it makes sense that they made some big changes for the film. I haven't read it, but I've seen several films made from his stories and there's some pretty good ones concerning the dangers or misuse of technology - Westworld and Coma comes to mind.

I apologise, I thought you were talking about the films, not the books.

Cvalda

Cvalda

Quote from: scarhunter92 on Jan 13, 2013, 04:42:10 PM
It must be horrible to hate fun and act "mature" all the time.
But I am having fun! Watching you form bro-circles around your precious fanboy totems is fun.

I think the first Jurassic Park is excellent, btw. It's not like I hate the whole series. Just the shitty, cash grab sequels.

Quote from: ScardyFox on Jan 13, 2013, 04:46:07 PM

Cvalda mature?
Aren't you missing the latest episode of Rush Limbaugh or something?

Alien³

Alien³

Quote from: Cvalda on Jan 13, 2013, 04:48:27 PM
I think the first Jurassic Park is excellent, btw. It's not like I hate the whole series. Just the shitty, cash grab sequels.

Always money, money, money with you people.

ScardyFox

ScardyFox

Quote from: scarhunter92 on Jan 13, 2013, 04:47:05 PM
notice the " "

I know I know... but it's just so unfitting, satirical other wise, it literally made me lol.

Quote from: Cvalda on Jan 13, 2013, 04:48:27 PM
Aren't you missing the latest episode of Rush Limbaugh or something?

Nope.

Aren't you missing the latest episode of self destructive moaners?

Eva

Eva

Quote from: Alien³ on Jan 13, 2013, 04:47:35 PM
I was. Obviously, I'm missing something here...

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

Aliens toys were made years after the film,
Irrelevant. Series of toys was titled 'Aliens' with the film font. Obviously aimed at those kids who had watched the film and found it appealing. If they made the figures in the first place, it's because they saw marketing potential in the film.

and no toys were marketed for Alien 3.
...but suddenly! Alien: Resurrection came in and...

although Aliens is the most so
Not in the slightest.

Also, all of those films were rated R and never compromised themselves for a PG-13 rating to appeal to kids.
Here's where I wanted you. Nowhere in your 'argument' did you mention ratings; you just said that they were aimed squarely at kids because they had child co-leads. :)
That's also why I purposedly selected films with different ratings: whereas yes, most of the films I mentioned are R, The Ring is PG-13, and Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom is PG. Both are not R and have child co-leads.

Denying it only makes you look like a fanboy desperate to position a franchise that obviously panders to kids as something that's mature and grown up, because you yourself were one of those kids and want it to grow up with you.
This I can answer two ways:

A. You're desperately trying to troll, using a pathetic semi-attempt at a psychological analysis;

B. Benefit of doubt; Jurassic Park is a blockbuster series. It is aimed to appeal to all ages, not squarely at kids. Many other blockbusters have had their toys: Independence Day had a toyline; The Lord of the Rings (3 films) had a toyline; these two were not aimed squarely at kids. Otherwise, many things would not be there.

Alien³

Alien³

Quote from: Eva on Jan 13, 2013, 04:54:17 PM

Peter Ludlow (I gather you thought was a character from the book of TLW) is John Hammond's nephew in the movie who wants to reinvent Jurassic Park and bring it to San Diego. You said...

"The biggest disappointment with TLW was IMO how they pretty much ditched the whole 'standing on the shoulders of others achievements and taking the next step for profit"

Which means you've forgotten about Peter Ludlow and how that theme from the first film was carried over into the sequel.

Eva

Eva

Quote from: Alien³ on Jan 13, 2013, 05:01:57 PM
Quote from: Eva on Jan 13, 2013, 04:54:17 PM

Peter Ludlow (I gather you thought was a character from the book of TLW) is John Hammond's nephew in the movie who wants to reinvent Jurassic Park and bring it to San Diego. You said...

"The biggest disappointment with TLW was IMO how they pretty much ditched the whole 'standing on the shoulders of others achievements and taking the next step for profit"

Which means you've forgotten about Peter Ludlow and how that theme from the first film was carried over into the sequel.

Ah, right. I remember the character, but I had forgotten his name in the film/book. That's why it didn't ring a bell.

Anyways, I didn't think that particular theme was treated in TWL with the same level of emphasis and scrutiny as it was in JP. The discussion Hammond has with the scientists around the dinner table in the first film is one of my favorite scenes for the same reason.

Ludlow's character and agenda in TLW, reminds me more of a rip off of King Kong than a continuation of themes from JP. But I guess that's all subjective anyway.

Alien³

Alien³

TLW is one giant throw back to King Kong. Some (like myself) think it was a wise move.

ScardyFox

ScardyFox

Quote from: OmegaZilla on Jan 13, 2013, 04:57:05 PM
A. You're desperately trying to troll, using a pathetic semi-attempt at a psychological analysis;

You have to keep in mind she doesn't troll, she suffers from delusions of ridiculous grandeur. She genuinely believes herself to be scholarly and knowledgeable when she throws out some of the most bitterly fueled ignorance I have ever seen on any forum I have ever belonged to. Her dime-store analysis of your psychological profile and the movie at hand illustrates exactly that. She actually believes she is correct about both things, adamantly. As though they're an asbolutely and she is clever enough to see through the "BS" to the crux of it.

Rick Grimes

Rick Grimes

It might be faithful to Crichtons book, but it was just underwhelming as a film.
Not exactly. The movie is drastically different in plot and characters that aren't even in the novel.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed