Jurassic Park Series

Started by War Wager, Mar 25, 2007, 10:10:16 PM

Author
Jurassic Park Series (Read 1,367,070 times)

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

But that to me is a huge problem. For instance, ever heard of the documentary Jurassic Fight Club? Never mind the series' own flaws, but why is it called Jurassic Fight Club? It doesn't only feature dinosaurs of the Jurassic and frankly, I think the title is lousy.

Also, going back to Primal Carnage, as I mentioned earlier; prime example. The T.Rex not only looks almost identical to the JP Rex, but has a roar that is more or less a modified roar of the JP Rex (much like the Rex in Dino Crisis 1 and 2 does). The Velociraptor is a direct copy of the JP raptor, and the Dilo could almost be the same thing, given its size and the fact that it spits venom.

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

Thankfully enough I said 'majority of' when referring to documentaries. I had totally forgot about that. If you can call it a documentary, that is.

Everything you say goes into my argument. Already knew about all of them. Jurassic Park is the archetype, because it is popular. The logic that they use here is that if they imitate that style, there's more of a chance for success. Dinosaurs? Well let's look at Jurassic Park.

I personally don't feel this problem as much as you do, because I have barely played Dino Crisis and that putrid Jurassic The Hunted. The latter even has a Spinosaurus breaking a Tyrannosaurus' neck, go figure.

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

Quote from: OmegaZilla on Dec 26, 2012, 07:04:11 PM
Thankfully enough I said 'majority of' when referring to documentaries. I had totally forgot about that. If you can call it a documentary, that is.

Everything you say goes into my argument. Already knew about all of them. Jurassic Park is the archetype, because it is popular. The logic that they use here is that if they imitate that style, there's more of a chance for success. Dinosaurs? Well let's look at Jurassic Park.

I personally don't feel this problem as much as you do, because I have barely played Dino Crisis and that putrid Jurassic The Hunted. The latter even has a Spinosaurus breaking a Tyrannosaurus' neck, go figure.

Missed it, sorry!
It wasn't that bad. It had some decent info and was a fresh take on dino-docs. Instead of typical "this dinosaur lived during this time period, here's some info" format, it was different. My only two gripes with it are that the CG dinos looked less than stellar in both presentation and design and George Blasing, while I highly applaud his efforts in bringing a newfound level of popularity to paleontology, is not a great host considering the man is self-taught and not a qualified paleontologist like say, Dr. Currie or Dr. Holtz. Not to mention, his theories were a bit too speculative.

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

I remember few things about that thing: I totally rocked the flash player game, the T.Rex design was nice, and the paleontologist parts that were horribly chopped up (to the point where it seemed the editors actually wanted to change the sense of what the scientists were saying), when they were not about wildly speculative theories.

Nothing compared to other monstrosities however. I remember one doc called 'Monsters resurrected' or some such where they said the Spinosaurus was the perfect dinosaur hunter and that it preferred eating other carnivores -- everything supported with a CGI video of a comically oversized Spinosaurus attacking a pack of Carcharodontosaurs.

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

Quote from: OmegaZilla on Dec 27, 2012, 12:16:11 AM
I remember few things about that thing: I totally rocked the flash player game, the T.Rex design was nice, and the paleontologist parts that were horribly chopped up (to the point where it seemed the editors actually wanted to change the sense of what the scientists were saying), when they were not about wildly speculative theories.

The Rex design was awful. When did its arms become skinny twigs? Honestly; I could barely see them. And that colour scheme was ugh. As for the editing, I didn't pick up on that. I'll have to rewatch it.

Quote from: OmegaZilla on Dec 27, 2012, 12:16:11 AM
Nothing compared to other monstrosities however. I remember one doc called 'Monsters resurrected' or some such where they said the Spinosaurus was the perfect dinosaur hunter and that it preferred eating other carnivores -- everything supported with a CGI video of a comically oversized Spinosaurus attacking a pack of Carcharodontosaurs.

Yup, that was the one. I didn't see the scene you're referring to but when I saw the Spino quite literally swat a Carcharodontosaurus out of its way and break its neck with one hit, I turned it off.

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

Yes, you're right. I didn't remember the slapping bit at all.  Here's the video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07FzfVcNlTA
All they needed after the bitchslap was a bloody 'FATALITY' writing on the screen. I mostly referred to the chomping out.

So this calls itself a 'documentary'. ???

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

Yeah well. That's the reason why there are quite a few dino-docs out there but let's say of the 20 that exist, only three or so are worth watching.

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

I agree. Walking with Dinosaurs had its share of inaccuracies or speculative aspects (25 metres long Liopleurodon to make an example) but on the whole, as I remember it, is an incredibly well made documentary and still the most competent on the field. I also fondly recall some Discovery channel docs, Dinosaur Planet and the likes.

Dinosaur Revolution looked promising, especially on the design aspects, but I was turned off a great deal when I saw the promotional video with a Tyrannosaurus fight in it. One of 'contestants' pooped and stomped on its excrements to prepare the fight -- and I remember a great emphasis on that specific action. ???

King Rathalos

King Rathalos

Quote from: OmegaZilla on Dec 27, 2012, 01:08:33 AM
I agree. Walking with Dinosaurs had its share of inaccuracies or speculative aspects (25 metres long Liopleurodon to make an example) but on the whole, as I remember it, is an incredibly well made documentary and still the most competent on the field. I also fondly recall some Discovery channel docs, Dinosaur Planet and the likes.

Dinosaur Revolution looked promising, especially on the design aspects, but I was turned off a great deal when I saw the promotional video with a Tyrannosaurus fight in it. One of 'contestants' pooped and stomped on its excrements to prepare the fight -- and I remember a great emphasis on that specific action. ???

Dinosaur Revolution is more of like a movie then a documentary from what I've seen.

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

WWD and Planet Dinosaur are the best IMO. DR was OK. There was a bit too much emphasis on personifying the dinosaurs I felt. There were quite a few moments as I recall, especially in episode two with Allosaurus, which almost made it seemed like a comedy film at times.

Even though it's extremely old at this point, back in the 90s, PaleoWorld was excellent. Did you ever see that one?

Quote from: King Rathalos on Dec 27, 2012, 01:12:21 AM

Dinosaur Revolution is more of like a movie then a documentary from what I've seen.

Believe it or not, it was supposed to be a movie originally. Dr. Holtz admitted as such on Facebook.

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

Quote from: DoomRulz on Dec 27, 2012, 02:06:08 AM
Even though it's extremely old at this point, back in the 90s, PaleoWorld was excellent. Did you ever see that one?
Never heard of it until now, although googling it brought up images like this...

...which were widely used in dinosaur-related publications I used to buy. Oh the memories.

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

It's old-school. The format was interviews with paleontologists, spliced in with images from various artists, Dinamation animatronics, and museum displays, sometimes accompanied by dinosaurian sound effects. The show also had an awesome theme.

Here, check this out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GTvplSG1TcE#ws
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rmybNmSnDYM#ws

Needless to say, this is my favourite episode.

Remonster

Remonster

Got the blu-ray for christmas!

Alien³

Alien³

Quote from: First Blood on Dec 25, 2012, 10:13:58 PM
Not to mention falling from the ceiling... :laugh:

It's jammed inbetween some pipes and falls when Ellie backs into it. It doesn't come from the ceiling you sausage.

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

Quote from: Alien³ on Dec 27, 2012, 05:00:54 PM
Quote from: First Blood on Dec 25, 2012, 10:13:58 PM
Not to mention falling from the ceiling... :laugh:

It's jammed inbetween some pipes and falls when Ellie backs into it. It doesn't come from the ceiling you sausage.

I've said this to Vulhalla on Facebook and now I'm saying it to you on AvP Galaxy: "Oh, you English and your cussing :D"

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed