Jurassic Park Series

Started by War Wager, Mar 25, 2007, 10:10:16 PM

Author
Jurassic Park Series (Read 1,366,687 times)

Space Sweeper

Space Sweeper

And however many months (weeks[?]) of actually developing a script.

Remonster

Remonster

Quote from: DoomRulz on Oct 01, 2012, 12:05:11 AM
Your idea is really good!

Heck with it, make Jurassic Park: The Game into a movie :P

Hah I wouldn't mind that. Maybe switch some stuff around. The Merc characters were actually decent, but could use some work so that you could really care about them.

The problem with having movies about creatures/monsters is that most audience members seem to find it laughable. So you either need to embrace the goofiness, or find some way to transcend the genera and make a movie beyond what people thought it would be like. Rise of the Planet of the Apes comes to mind, which is why I'm so excited to see what they come up with for Jp4.

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

I don't recall many people finding Jurassic Park on the whole, comedic.

Remonster

Remonster

Not at all, no. But I know a lot of my friends and people I know think that by the third film, the whole series was just goofy. The first two movies were good for adults and kids, but rarely used stupid gags for humor. I'm not trying to generalize the series or the whole monster movie genera, it's just that Jurassic Park is my favorite movie ever, and I strongly believe that it can be more than just a movie about dinosaurs chasing people.

SM

SM

None of them were just about monster chasing people.  Though the third did have more of that.  More fun than the second, and consequently less serious.

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

Quote from: Remonster on Oct 01, 2012, 01:31:19 AM
Not at all, no. But I know a lot of my friends and people I know think that by the third film, the whole series was just goofy. The first two movies were good for adults and kids, but rarely used stupid gags for humor. I'm not trying to generalize the series or the whole monster movie genera, it's just that Jurassic Park is my favorite movie ever, and I strongly believe that it can be more than just a movie about dinosaurs chasing people.

Quote from: SM on Oct 01, 2012, 01:42:57 AM
None of them were just about monster chasing people.  Though the third did have more of that.  More fun than the second, and consequently less serious.

It's all the third movie was. It had no depth whatsoever. The first film was about the limits of humanity's perceived ability to control things, the second was about capital greed. The third was about...nothing.

Remonster

Remonster

The first and second movie had more than that, but the third movie was basically land on island, run from Dinosaurs. There could've been so much more to it, but they didn't bother.

Maybe I need to be more clear with what I'm saying, but what I mean is that I hope the fourth movie is more than that.

SM

SM

Quote from: Remonster on Oct 01, 2012, 01:56:16 AM
The first and second movie had more than that, but the third movie was basically land on island, run from Dinosaurs. There could've been so much more to it, but they didn't bother.

Maybe I need to be more clear with what I'm saying, but what I mean is that I hope the fourth movie is more than that.

I don't see a problem with that to be honest.  After the ridiculous third act of Lost World, I enjoyed the simplicity of the third film.  Not that I'm eager to see it repeated, mind you.  It's been done - give us something different next time.

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

Quote from: Remonster on Oct 01, 2012, 01:56:16 AM

What type of central theme do you think could be explored?

Remonster

Remonster

Yeah, I agree to a certain extent. I was thankful for the return to the island after TLW sucked it up in San Diego. Also Grant being the main focus was amazing for me. While It wasn't as good as I would've liked, it's still a movie that I can sit down and enjoy. It's the same with TLW. I absolutely love that movie, but once they get to the main land It loses my attention.

But that just brings me back to where I would like Jp4 to go, which is in a different direction. In the first movie, I liked disparity between the clean, sterile laboratory's surrounded by lush tropical jungle, and it's a setting that i'd love to see again.

As for a central theme, I'm honestly not sure. I would like a more personal story, and I would like to see more of what TLW novel featured with some dinosaurs not developing certain social skills with the lack of natural parenting.

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

Quote from: Remonster on Oct 01, 2012, 02:11:43 AM
Yeah, I agree to a certain extent. I was thankful for the return to the island after TLW sucked it up in San Diego. Also Grant being the main focus was amazing for me. While It wasn't as good as I would've liked, it's still a movie that I can sit down and enjoy. It's the same with TLW. I absolutely love that movie, but once they get to the main land It loses my attention.

The mainland sequence was awesome. There was something really fun about seeing a T.Rex in the kid's backyard. Maybe because I had the same fantasy myself as a kid.

As for a central theme, I'm honestly not sure. I would like a more personal story, and I would like to see more of what TLW novel featured with some dinosaurs not developing certain social skills with the lack of natural parenting.

That's a plot device at best. Good thing to have, but it's not a theme. I'm talking a sort of message the overall film would carry.

Vertigo

Vertigo

Quote from: DoomRulz on Oct 01, 2012, 01:47:10 PM

The mainland sequence was awesome. There was something really fun about seeing a T.Rex in the kid's backyard. Maybe because I had the same fantasy myself as a kid.

I never had a problem with that sequence either, never understood the flak it gets.

What I didn't like was that the film totally lacked the sense of wonder of the first one, portrayed the dinosaurs more as monsters than animals, spent about ten minutes bumping off a bit-character in a ludicrous scenario (Dieter Stark), that both the tyrannosaurs continued to track the scent of their baby after they'd already gotten it back (and, for that matter, they didn't explain why the rexes returned to destroy the trailers until some time afterwards), that to a large degree they stuck with the same dinosaur species, that they made all that effort to totally rewrite the story yet apparently didn't have time to develop sympathetic characters or to flesh out the baddies, and that practically the only thing they did carry over from the book was Malcolm's newly sombre and comparatively humourless demeanour (which I didn't like in Crichton's novel either).
And probably some other stuff I'm forgetting.

As it was still Spielberg directing, we had plenty of awesome, memorable sequences in a well-made film, but I thought it was badly written.

Also thought they missed an opportunity to emphasise a conservationist theme in there, that stripmining an ecosystem can turn a buck but is ultimately short-sighted, has dangerous ramifications and kills something beautiful. Obviously they touched on these points, but I don't think they drove it home hard enough - the first film wore its grander themes with pride and that helped make it more than just a creature feature.
Could also have drawn a picture of the merits of ecotourism versus stripmining, by portraying the dinosaurs as more natural and peaceful early on while Hammond's team studies them.

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

Quote from: Vertigo on Oct 01, 2012, 03:05:50 PM

I never had a problem with that sequence either, never understood the flak it gets.

What I didn't like was that the film totally lacked the sense of wonder of the first one, portrayed the dinosaurs more as monsters than animals, spent about ten minutes bumping off a bit-character in a ludicrous scenario (Dieter Stark), that both the tyrannosaurs continued to track the scent of their baby after they'd already gotten it back (and, for that matter, they didn't explain why the rexes returned to destroy the trailers until some time afterwards), that to a large degree they stuck with the same dinosaur species, that they made all that effort to totally rewrite the story yet apparently didn't have time to develop sympathetic characters or to flesh out the baddies, and that practically the only thing they did carry over from the book was Malcolm's newly sombre and comparatively humourless demeanour (which I didn't like in Crichton's novel either).
And probably some other stuff I'm forgetting.

As it was still Spielberg directing, we had plenty of awesome, memorable sequences in a well-made film, but I thought it was badly written.

Also thought they missed an opportunity to emphasise a conservationist theme in there, that stripmining an ecosystem can turn a buck but is ultimately short-sighted, has dangerous ramifications and kills something beautiful. Obviously they touched on these points, but I don't think they drove it home hard enough - the first film wore its grander themes with pride and that helped make it more than just a creature feature.
Could also have drawn a picture of the merits of ecotourism versus stripmining, by portraying the dinosaurs as more natural and peaceful early on while Hammond's team studies them.

If there was anything I hated about the TLW novel, it was Malcolm. The mathematician became a dinosaur expert for no discernable reason, and just would not shut up.

Remonster

Remonster

Quote from: DoomRulz on Oct 01, 2012, 01:47:10 PM

That's a plot device at best. Good thing to have, but it's not a theme. I'm talking a sort of message the overall film would carry.

Yeah, I wasn't saying that would be the theme, just something in the background that the characters could be focusing on.

What would you like to see the focus on for a central theme?

Requiem28

Requiem28

The theme could be "Life will always find a way, as well as dead end...." 

(Hence the part when everyone gets eaten by a dino :laugh:)

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed