Jurassic Park Series

Started by War Wager, Mar 25, 2007, 10:10:16 PM

Author
Jurassic Park Series (Read 1,367,106 times)

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

The Lost World novel's characteristic that sets its pacing apart from its predecessor is that Malcolm spends much more time in monologues or long dialogues. I think one of them covers up an entire page or two. Perhaps that's what makes people bored when reading it. I wasn't, to be honest.

Kol

Kol

Quote from: OmegaZilla on Mar 20, 2012, 04:22:16 PM
I wasn't, to be honest.

i wasn't bored either.  ;)

and yeah, it's not about being "entertained" in every second.

Shasvre

Shasvre

I think the discussions in The Lost World were very interesting, especially since they were building up to that big reveal at the end (on how this "Lost World" was flawed).

Also, that bike chase with the Raptor would have been awesome to see on screen. :)

Remonster

Remonster

I love the novel and the film. The novel is a slow burn. I think it does an amazing job of building up tension over the first two thirds of the book, then everything comes crashing down and the last third of the book is nonstop action and death. Freakin love it.

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

Quote from: Laufey on Mar 20, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
Also, that bike chase with the Raptor would have been awesome to see on screen. :)
Thorne and Levine on a Motorcycle chased by a Tyrannosaurus.
That is all.

Ratchetcomand

Ratchetcomand

Too bad that there was a never a JP3 novel. I wonder what Crichton version of JP3 would have been like?

stephen

stephen

Actually The Lost World is the only sequel Crichton has written.  I remember seeing a quote from him regarding it and the feeling I got was that he didn't really overly enjoy the experience.

evolution_rex

evolution_rex

The problem I have with The Lost World novel is that it's message is the opposite of the first novel. Jurassic Park: "Life finds a way." The Lost World: "These dinosaurs are all doomed to go extinct again."

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

TLW was about life finding a way. Hammond explicitly says so at the end. I thought that made it obvious.

Remonster

Remonster

Quote from: DoomRulz on Mar 21, 2012, 03:27:50 PM
TLW was about life finding a way. Hammond explicitly says so at the end. I thought that made it obvious.

The Novel. Not the film.

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

I think life will find a way in the novel too, btw.

KNIGHT

KNIGHT

It wasn't so much "The dinosaurs were all doomed" as it was "It wasn't a perfect lost world"

The environment of not only the creation of the dinosaurs, the size of the island, and what they had been fed all forced them to adapt. They weren't likely acting like real dinosaurs did, thus it wasn't a "lost world".

mastermoon

mastermoon

Both Jurassic Park 3 and the most recent Jurassic Park 4 never began as novels.

Now the movie "Jurassic Park: The Lost World" is very loosly based on the novel.

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

Quote from: Jayden the Omnipotent on Mar 21, 2012, 09:10:22 PM
It wasn't so much "The dinosaurs were all doomed" as it was "It wasn't a perfect lost world"

The environment of not only the creation of the dinosaurs, the size of the island, and what they had been fed all forced them to adapt. They weren't likely acting like real dinosaurs did, thus it wasn't a "lost world".

Yeah, I didn't think raptors could climb a metal cage a la Aliens.

Shasvre

Shasvre

I'm just gonna leave this here so I can get a second opinion from people who've read the book.

http://www.avpgalaxy.net/forum/index.php?topic=38011.msg1312059#msg1312059

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed