Jurassic Park Series

Started by War Wager, Mar 25, 2007, 10:10:16 PM

Author
Jurassic Park Series (Read 1,366,626 times)

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

Quote from: Laufey on Dec 12, 2011, 08:59:55 PM
Of course, but that doesn't work as an explanation for everything.
Aware of that - while what you're saying is indeed true, there are differences left 'unexplained' (I'd very personally class them as 'artistic liberties'), most of them can be explained with them being different forms of media. As a sheer example both films completely lack some of the characters of the novels - sometimes they are 'fused' within other characters (e.g. in Jurassic Park Ed Regis was fused with Donald Gennaro, and in The Lost World Thorne and Levine were heavily compacted into Malcolm). That is a very common device to simplify the plot. Some other differences were devoted to the films' rating and potential public - you'd never propose a closer adaptation of Jurassic Park to a child. The actual film we got is bearable (point in question I watched it when I was 3), the most brutal sequence of the film involves a torn arm. The horror elements in the novel are much heavier: they played it out safely in the film with Nedry's death for example, whereas in the novel it's sheer brutality (at a certain point Nedry, blinded by the venomous spit, feels something warm and viscid in his hands - which is revealed to be his own intestines).
Another thing which seems to be a constant in the franchise is the 'postponement' of some sequences - the beach Compsognathus attack was moved from Jurassic Park to The Lost World, as was the 'Tyrannosaurus and fall' sequence, the river sequence was moved from Jurassic Park to Jurassic Park III, etc. Here, that last one brings up another point - the novels aren't even marginally influenced by a budget, which is a very important factor in the films. If I recall correctly, the river sequence was cut from Jurassic Park (you can see it in some of the concept arts, I believe) for budgetary reasons, but I'd have to check that one out.
Sometimes, it's just a surprise finale too - which is featured in both Jurassic Park and The Lost World.

Shasvre

Shasvre

I don't have a problem with the movie taking some liberties with the material, as long as it results in a good movie.

As for never getting a closer adaption of Jurassic Park, I agree. But one can dream. :)

Bat Chain Puller

Bat Chain Puller

Yeah. T-Rex on the mainland (and how they got the script there) was the result of Spielberg geeking out and letting the little boy inside overrule the director/storyteller. Entertaining? Yes. But fist bitingly corny as hell!

Your average Hollywood director wouldn't have the pull to get that scene shot. Especially since it wasn't in the book.

I see what you're saying Omega. The book and the film having separate lives apart from each other and all. Peter Benchley's Jaws is the same way (and done by Spielberg no less) as is Stanly Kubrick's take on Steven Kings The Shining. Just classic, classic films ... but having a soul all their own, despite at times big leaps away from the source material.

That being said: There is room for a reboot. There was plenty from the book that was left out that would make it fresh if revisited. 

Off hand, I'd rather see THAT than see the military weaponizing dinosaurs.

The One and Only

The One and Only

The weaponized dinos were always a favorite of mine personally. Eswpecially when the the script for that story was written by the the man who wrote The Departed, and the his co-writer was the one and only John Sayles. The man who penned the classic creature flicks Piranha, Alligator, and The Howling. So I'd give that plot point a chance. Besides, I always heard that Hasbro, the guys behind the JP toyline were for it as well. And the current generation of lads could always use some gun weilding thunder lizards in their collections.

If that ain't happening, I've been chomping at the bit to see the color changing carnosaurs from the second novel finally put in some time in a flick.

MudButt

MudButt

Weaponized dinos are a no-no. I want the fourth one to take a different direction then the whole "back to island" formula, unless it's a smart way of doing it, but I want the dinos on the mainland. I remember reading a scene about Pterodactyls attacking at a baseball game, the script was proven fake but I really like the sound of that scene, followed my new clips of a military trained force made for combating the dinosaurs. I want it to be something different, I don't want the main focus to be man vs dino is a crazy war, no, that's going for a popcorn flick, I want that to be a kind of background conflict while the old characters and new ones struggle to fix whatever situation seems to be happening while trying to survive the hell that's been brought to their home.

Maybe they go to the island in one act, or half of one, but other then that I'd like a new take on the franchise, and by new take, I mean smart! Not dinosaurs being mutated with other species, not dinosaurs holding guns, not military weapons that are dinosaurs, they need to be the same crazy, life-like, savage beasts like they've always been.

Space Sweeper

Space Sweeper

I would rather see an interplanetary Jurassic Park than weaponized dinosaurs for Christ's sake.

Bat Chain Puller

Bat Chain Puller

Quote from: Space Sweeper on Dec 13, 2011, 09:30:40 AM
I would rather see an interplanetary Jurassic Park than weaponized dinosaurs for Christ's sake.

(weaponized) Dino-Riders on on side. (Interplanetary )Dino-Crisis on another.

And don't forget we're getting Dinosaurs vs Aliens at some point down the pipe so that will possibly be a healthy mix of the two.

I think it's only a matter of time before we see a zombie Dinosaur property. I mean, we're already half way there ... they're all dead. And Night at the Museum don't count.

scarhunter92

scarhunter92

Quote from: Bat Chain Puller on Dec 13, 2011, 03:06:31 PMAnd don't forget we're getting Dinosaurs vs Aliens at some point down the pipe so that will possibly be a healthy mix of the two.

20 bucks say that project never takes off.

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

Quote from: Laufey on Dec 12, 2011, 09:35:59 PM
As for never getting a closer adaption of Jurassic Park, I agree. But one can dream. :)
I must've expressed myself wrongly, I don't think a closer adaptation is impossible. I bet the budget nowadays can be not as restrictive as it was for the first film, for example. Don't think it's ever gonna be considered however.

Quote from: Bat Chain Puller on Dec 12, 2011, 09:48:15 PM
Entertaining? Yes. But fist bitingly corny as hell!
Like the final T.Rex VS Raptors in the first one I guess.
Or Ripley against the Queen in Aliens.

I see what you're saying Omega. The book and the film having separate lives apart from each other and all. Peter Benchley's Jaws is the same way (and done by Spielberg no less) as is Stanly Kubrick's take on Steven Kings The Shining. Just classic, classic films ... but having a soul all their own, despite at times big leaps away from the source material.
Agreed 100%!

scarhunter92

scarhunter92

Am I the only one who wants them to take elements from TLW novel for the fourth film? The virus subplot was pretty cool. Also, Byosin pl0x.

Gate

Gate

it should be like the script discussed many many pages ago. The virus was just a ruse for BioSyn and Dodges to go to the Island and procure tests on the animals' DNA whereas InGen's team is sent in to stop the virus and ultimately stop BioSyn

Bat Chain Puller

Bat Chain Puller

Quote from: OmegaZilla on Dec 13, 2011, 04:32:12 PM
Entertaining? Yes. But fist bitingly corny as hell!
Like the final T.Rex VS Raptors in the first one I guess.
Or Ripley against the Queen in Aliens.

Yep! T.Rex vs Raptors and Ripley vs Queen being of a lesser species of corn. But corn none the less! The blaring heroic theme to Jurassic Park trumpeting out when the Rex entered the frame was what pushed that scene over the top. I know it was a big crowd pleasing moment. But it would have been so much cooooler if they had been a little more subtle. 

Ripley vs Queen ... same thing. It was the slow door rise, push in close up, hero shot, and the Arnold-esque line that got us there. Seemed out of place for the film. The crowd was on their feet though (In my theater.)

They did similar things in A:R with the whole bouncy grenades shit. Wtf?

But these are the scenes that a certain breed of movie goer talk up ... big time. And that gets more butts in seats.

Quote from: scarhunter92 on Dec 13, 2011, 04:28:02 PM
Quote from: Bat Chain Puller on Dec 13, 2011, 03:06:31 PMAnd don't forget we're getting Dinosaurs vs Aliens at some point down the pipe so that will possibly be a healthy mix of the two.

Can we have a time frame on this bet scar? I have no idea how that will be handled (live action or pixar style animation with talking dinosaurs) and if there are humans involved ... but mostly it sounds like a crazy fan boy film. They'll need a genius screenwriter ($) to pull that one off. And it sounds like they'll need that $ for effects instead.

robogutswolfpred

robogutswolfpred

wow those scenes  were're definitely not corny well maybe the tlw san diego scene but a majority of the people love those scenes including me

The comic will almost certainly happen, the movie is much less likely.

scarhunter92

scarhunter92

Quote from: AvatarIII on Dec 13, 2011, 08:16:27 PM

The comic will almost certainly happen, the movie is much less likely.

I was talking about the movie, of course.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed