Jurassic Park Series

Started by War Wager, Mar 25, 2007, 10:10:16 PM

Author
Jurassic Park Series (Read 1,367,042 times)

Bad Replicant

Bad Replicant

Amen to that.

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

What if he does good with Captain America? Surely he can grow as a director, and Cap looks great.

Keg

Keg

To blame JPIII's downfalls purely on Joe Johnston is a bit unfair. As a director he was more than capable and delivered a good film with good performances. It was the story itself that sucked. Its not like he wrote it, and Spielberg was still producing so they all should have seen that it was a piss poor story but they didnt. As a director I have no qualms with the guy.

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

He directed it, ergo he was calling the shots. Yes, I can blame him for it.

Fujimaster

Fujimaster

and here I was thinking this shit was for real.

scarhunter92

scarhunter92

Quote from: Keg on May 02, 2011, 02:41:41 AM
To blame JPIII's downfalls purely on Joe Johnston is a bit unfair. As a director he was more than capable and delivered a good film with good performances. It was the story itself that sucked. Its not like he wrote it, and Spielberg was still producing so they all should have seen that it was a piss poor story but they didnt. As a director I have no qualms with the guy.

I totally agree.

Shasvre

Shasvre

Watched Jurassic Park 3 again a few days ago. It's a decent movie, but there's plenty of things that bring it down a few points. For example:

The dream Alan has about the raptor.

The little Rambo kid.

The neck snaps (by the Spinosaurus and Raptors).

The "drama" between the married couple.

The humor was pretty bad.

Quote from: scarhunter92 on May 02, 2011, 11:24:59 AM
Quote from: Keg on May 02, 2011, 02:41:41 AM

I totally agree.
as do i

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

Totally.
And Jonston made JPIII better than it could've been based on the story alone.
The reveal of the Pteranodon is one of the best scenes in the series, and I also really like the first encounter with the Raptor in the laboratory. There's plenty of other great scenes too.
Downsides of Jurassic Park III for me, essentially, are --
-The forced 'new king' of the Island, I'm no Fanboy who whines over that, but I felt it was forced, and how the Spinosaurs kills the T.Rex is just... I dunno, too human for an animal like that? The Spinosaurus feels way too territorial too;
-The wonky premise of the storyline, could've got that off better;
-(minor) great discontinuity in the representation of Isla Sorna;
-The absurdly superficial and far-fetched ending with the soldiers and all that.

Keg

Keg

Johnston is clearly a good director and i'd happily have him back for a sequel if the story is alot better. Nobody would question Spielbergs credentials but Kingdom of the Crystal Skull was still a stinker at times. Doesnt make him a bad director. Its too easy to blame the director all the time and I think in this case the director wasnt solely at fault. I thought he did a great job with what he had and directing wise he did an excellent job. Its just a shame the story and the ending was so disapointing.

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

Yeah, the guy directed Jumanji and Honey, I shrunk the kids!, I also thought The Wolfman remake was a pretty good film.
Jurassic Park III is not some kind of disaster or complete failure, either. It just has some weak points.

scarhunter92

scarhunter92

Quote from: OmegaZilla on May 02, 2011, 01:42:28 PM
Yeah, the guy directed Jumanji and Honey, I shrunk the kids!, I also thought The Wolfman remake was a pretty good film.
Jurassic Park III is not some kind of disaster or complete failure, either. It just has some weak points.

You, sir, deserve a medal.

Bad Replicant

Bad Replicant

Johnston isn't a bad director, but I just don't think his movie 'fits' stylistically following the first two. A lot of the key elements are there, but the lighter atmosphere and horrible pacing hurt it a lot.

The performances brought it down as well, IMO. Sam Neill and Alessandro Nivola did okay. William H. Macy phoned it in, Tea Leoni was irritating, Trevor Morgan was even more irritating, and the mercenaries didn't really have room to be, well, anything. Laura Dern's cameo was a nice touch, though she came across a bit bland as well.

The absence of John Williams didn't help, either.

Ghost Rider

Ghost Rider

Quote from: Shasvre on May 02, 2011, 11:49:43 AM
Watched Jurassic Park 3 again a few days ago. It's a decent movie, but there's plenty of things that bring it down a few points. For example:

The dream Alan has about the raptor.

The little Rambo kid.

The neck snaps (by the Spinosaurus and Raptors).

The "drama" between the married couple.

The humor was pretty bad.

You forgot that piece of s**t Spinosaurus.

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

I liked the Spinosaurus. Sure, the T-Rex is the king, but Spino is cool.

Protoceratops is still the best, though ;D

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed