Started by Darkness, Nov 01, 2006, 08:18:10 AM

Bishop in Alien 3 - Human or Android?

Human
393 (59.6%)
Android
266 (40.4%)

Total Members Voted: 609

Author
Bishop in Alien 3 - Human or Android? (Read 368,595 times)

ChrisPachi

Quote from: Kelgaard on May 08, 2013, 09:36:01 AMWhat about the unnotify button at the bottom of this page?

Shush. ;D

Dowly

Dowly

Hahaha  :D

DoomRulz

Quote from: Kelgaard on May 08, 2013, 09:36:01 AM
What about the unnotify button at the bottom of this page?

What about it? I still receive notifications from this thread even though that button isn't clicked.

Macer

Macer

As a physician I can say that such injury as we've seen here with one's ear and part of the skin from the back of the head to be completely torned away would result in a massive bleeding and pain shock, that normally would keep away an individual from continuing his actions. Will you be able to talk much about business after having you leg broken just a minute ago?
However, and it is not rare, that immediately after suffering a serious injury patient is able to continue acting like nothing happened and even claiming of feeling no pain at all. This is due to the traumatic shock affecting each of us differrently and heavily depending on a seriousness of injury (for instance if he had his limb torn off or smashed, he would have felt unconscious for sure because of excesively strong pain impulse, which can not be processed by brain. As a result the brain simply "turns off"). If this is the case then Bishop could withstand this trauma just with a slight grunt and then continue chatting with Ripley at least for a couple of minutes before he would actually feel the pain.

As a science fiction fan I have another possible explanation for this: in a distant future when medicine and technology are far more advanced, people could make some biomechanical advancements to themselves, such as artifcial organs or enhanced vision, etc. thus improving personal abilities. Considering his age maybe Bishop have had half of his body being replaced with artificial parts including skin and ears :) This would explain some odds with his exterior look after being hit.   

Bat Chain Puller

There are two types of people in the world.

Those, that despite the abundance of human blood and pain reactions from the head wound, believe that Bishop II was an android.

And those who trust that the film makers wouldn't arbitrarily change everything the series had set up in regards to androids.

It would be like there being a debate over the ending of Invasion of the Body Snatchers. Donald Sutherland's character at the end was human. He was only pretending to be a snatcher to save his own ass from Veronica Cartwrights emotional display on a public street.

Spoiler

Arguments? Only Body Snatchers make that sound. How do we know? Only the body snatchers make that sound in the film.  :P

Androids have white blood and humans have red blood. How do we know? Because that is very clearly illustrated through out not one, but five movies set in the alien universe.

ChrisPachi

I get that actors just want to work, but Lance needs to learn how to say no once in a while.

HuDaFuK

I vote human. I agree they seem to have tried to make it ambiguous in the theatrical version, but the Assembly Cut makes it pretty clear he's human. As does the novelization.

Aliens: Colonial Marines establishes he was human too. But it's probably best to ignore that.

SM

SM

They never tried to make it ambiguous.

HuDaFuK

It certainly seemed that way to me. In that, judging by the Assembly Cut, they specifically took out several things that made it fairly clear Bishop was human.

DoomRulz

The red blood didn't make it clear to begin with?

HuDaFuK

You don't really see him bleed much in the theatrical cut. Half his head's hanging off, and there really isn't that much blood. However you look at it, that's suspicious. In the Assembly Cut we see the blood pouring out of him, and that he's clearly in a lot of pain. By taking all of that out, your either actively trying to make things more ambiguous, or you've just coincidentally removed everything that makes it obvious he's a person.

SM

SM

Even if his head was hanging off - whcih it clearly isn't - ANY red blood is a giveaway.

Androids have white blood.

(It has to be said at least once a page, because people seem to inexplicably forget).

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

I hadn't forgot, actually. But I can see how some people might speculate Weyland-Yutani had put red circulation fluid in some top-secret android that's posing as a human, to help sell the deception. It's not like they aren't known for being devious. It would certainly explain (in the theatrical cut at least) why Bishop doesn't seem that bothered that half his head's been caved in.

For the record, I do think Bishop's human, categorically so. But I can see why some people might suggest otherwise. The theatrical version makes him seem very suspicious.

SM

SM

Half his head isn't caved in.  In any cut.

Hudson

I don't think those shots are cut in the theatrical version to make things ambiguous. I think they were probably cut because they realized the audience didn't give a crap if some douche bag was injured and in pain, especially if they didn't care about the characters from the previous two hours of the movie.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed