Started by Darkness, Nov 01, 2006, 08:18:10 AM

Bishop in Alien 3 - Human or Android?

Human
393 (59.6%)
Android
266 (40.4%)

Total Members Voted: 609

Author
Bishop in Alien 3 - Human or Android? (Read 368,580 times)

maledoro

Quote from: Mystic Lemons on Dec 16, 2006, 02:22:40 PM
QuoteJust because he's human, doesn't mean that he's a clone.

Nobody is saying that.
You were pretty sold on the idea, a few posts ago...

Mystic Lemons

No, you've misunderstood. I'm sold on the possibilty of it.

Milo Minderbinder

Quote from: maledoroAll the more reason that he isn't a clone.

If my assumptions are correct then he *is* a clone. Your own evidence in that essay thing supports the first one are the second assumption is based on the extreme unlikelihood of that particular ancestor looking identical to the 20th century version. Obviously, I can't prove a negative but the evidence is definitely in favour of cloning over the identical ancestor possibility.

Quote from: maledoroImagine me employing a clone of you to commit a crime to frame you... As long as that is a possibility, cloning would be illegal.

It probably would, yes. Whether or not the legality matters is the issue. It's not unheard of for powerful persons to break the law and not be brought to justice.

maledoro

Quote from: Milo Minderbinder on Dec 16, 2006, 02:34:17 PM
Quote from: maledoroAll the more reason that he isn't a clone.

If my assumptions are correct then he *is* a clone. Your own evidence in that essay thing supports the first one are the second assumption is based on the extreme unlikelihood of that particular ancestor looking identical to the 20th century version. Obviously, I can't prove a negative but the evidence is definitely in favour of cloning over the identical ancestor possibility.
That's only if you've twisted it to suit your theory. Using your logic, I can prove that due to the fire hydrants in my neighborhood, there are no tigers around.

Quote from: maledoroImagine me employing a clone of you to commit a crime to frame you... As long as that is a possibility, cloning would be illegal.
Quote from: Milo Minderbinder on Dec 16, 2006, 02:34:17 PM
It probably would, yes. Whether or not the legality matters is the issue. It's not unheard of for powerful persons to break the law and not be brought to justice.
All the more reason to keep the technology from not being developed. This is why such laws are in place: to prevent things like that from happening.

Milo Minderbinder

Is there a more reasonable explanation for the known facts than cloning? If so, what do you propose? Or will you propose nothing that hasn't been explicitly stated?

Let me reiterate, I am not saying he definitely is a clone.

maledoro

Quote from: Milo Minderbinder on Dec 16, 2006, 09:28:22 PM
Is there a more reasonable explanation for the known facts than cloning?
Yes. There are these beings known as "natural-born humans". There is nothing that states that he is a clone. No commentary track, book, or script reference. To call him anything other than a natural-born human is to make a faulty syllogism.

Mystic Lemons

Mystic Lemons

Ok. And what is your explanation for his appearance?

*Edit* I'm just trying to clarify that I understand what your opinion is, because it got a bit lost along the way for me*

Mr. Weyland

Maybe AVP2 or another sequel will explain why Bishop is a human in AVP and A3, you never know  ???

VenomX

I think this whole debate on whether cloning will be illegal seem to stem from a very specifically American point of view. After ten trips to the states I know how big this stem cell and cloning debate is over there, but here (Sweden) for example you don't hear any fuss about it at all, it's more embraced than anything. Our society isn't even a fraction as religiously based as the US, and our ethics and values reflect that. I don't know anybody who has a problem with cloning or stem cell research, and from what I can tell from the media, neither has anybody else really. There is not much of a debate, mostly just enthusiasm and looking forward to when these technological advances become standard practice.

There are all sorts of technological advances that can be abused, just because something can be misused doesn't mean there'll be laws against it, or you'd have to ban everything under the sun. From my perspective, I see it as _far_ more likely that cloning will be allowed rather than banned, based on the society I live in today. So, unless current American laws are to dominate even the distant future in the "United Systems" or whatever they mention in some movie, I don't think we can make any assumptions that way.  :)

maledoro

Quote from: Mystic Lemons on Dec 16, 2006, 09:39:19 PM
Ok. And what is your explanation for his appearance?

*Edit* I'm just trying to clarify that I understand what your opinion is, because it got a bit lost along the way for me*
He's just an ordinary guy.

maledoro

Quote from: VenomX on Dec 18, 2006, 02:43:19 PM
I think this whole debate on whether cloning will be illegal seem to stem from a very specifically American point of view. After ten trips to the states I know how big this stem cell and cloning debate is over there, but here (Sweden) for example you don't hear any fuss about it at all, it's more embraced than anything. Our society isn't even a fraction as religiously based as the US, and our ethics and values reflect that. I don't know anybody who has a problem with cloning or stem cell research, and from what I can tell from the media, neither has anybody else really. There is not much of a debate, mostly just enthusiasm and looking forward to when these technological advances become standard practice.

There are all sorts of technological advances that can be abused, just because something can be misused doesn't mean there'll be laws against it, or you'd have to ban everything under the sun. From my perspective, I see it as _far_ more likely that cloning will be allowed rather than banned, based on the society I live in today. So, unless current American laws are to dominate even the distant future in the "United Systems" or whatever they mention in some movie, I don't think we can make any assumptions that way.  :)
The laws that are being drafted to ban cloning aren't coming from the religious Right, but from the "Heathens": the atheistic scientific community.

Shaak

maledoro, have you ever written an Alien fiction? That will be interesting...

maledoro

Quote from: Shaak on Jan 01, 2007, 11:45:16 PM
Yes, I have, thank you!

What would be more interesting is to write something about real aliens...
;)

Shaak

Yeah

Shaak

Quote from: maledoro on Jan 02, 2007, 10:54:36 AM
Quote from: Shaak on Jan 01, 2007, 11:45:16 PM
Yes, I have, thank you!

Where can I find it?

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed