Why Alien: Romulus pits the Xenomorph against a younger crew

Started by Nightmare Asylum, May 03, 2024, 05:18:28 PM

Author
Why Alien: Romulus pits the Xenomorph against a younger crew (Read 15,295 times)

SiL

SiL

Quote from: Acid_Reign161 on May 12, 2024, 09:04:42 AM
Spoiler
Holm may have pre-emptively given his blessings (or given family the power to make such decisions in his absence).
[close]
Spoiler
He also might have thought the script was shit and wanted nothing to do with it. But he's dead, so he can't make that decision.

Compare that to James Earl Jones who, while alive, has consented to his voice being used for Darth Vader in perpetuity. It was his decision, made knowing what the technology is and what it entails. It wasn't relegated to someone else, and it was made knowing what the possibilities were.

Beyond that, exploiting the deceased for profit is also something people don't necessarily want to financially reward. It's nothing to do with getting offended on someone else's behalf; it's what line one wants to draw in the sand where capitalism ends and personal ethics begins.

[close]

Acid_Reign161

Acid_Reign161

Quote from: SiL on May 12, 2024, 09:15:01 AM
Quote from: Acid_Reign161 on May 12, 2024, 09:04:42 AM
Spoiler
Holm may have pre-emptively given his blessings (or given family the power to make such decisions in his absence).
[close]
Spoiler
He also might have thought the script was shit and wanted nothing to do with it. But he's dead, so he can't make that decision.

Compare that to James Earl Jones who, while alive, has consented to his voice being used for Darth Vader in perpetuity. It was his decision, made knowing what the technology is and what it entails. It wasn't relegated to someone else, and it was made knowing what the possibilities were.

Beyond that, exploiting the deceased for profit is also something people don't necessarily want to financially reward. It's nothing to do with getting offended on someone else's behalf; it's what line one wants to draw in the sand where capitalism ends and personal ethics begins.

[close]

Spoiler
But we don't know that Holm *hasn't* given that permission yet, and until we do, any suggestion of exploiting the deceased is currently unfounded, it's just an assumption (or a concern). 😅

But you know, let's just for arguments sake say he hadn't.. I'd get it if it were for substantial role (ie; Sigourney Weaver passes away, and they start churning out Ellen Ripley movies with her face and voice.. that's one thing... but an Amanda Ripley movie that features a brief flashback of her 10 year old self talking to her Mother promising she'd be back for her 11th birthday with a young Sigourney... that's a cameo at best.. is that *really* so bad? When an actor signs off on a character, they know their likeness becomes that character, in-universe.. like if Marvel churns out a new What If story with Ripley, Hicks and Newt, they are going to draw characters that look like the actors.. but they aren't drawing the actors, they are drawing the characters. This is why I never understood the fuss Beihn made about the photo at the beginning of Alien 3 (aside from the fact it was barely recognisable as him on screen) - he doesn't own the character Hicks... if 20th Century fox want to churn out books, documentaries toys etc with imagery from 'Aliens', there's no issue using screenshots from it... if alien 3 had opened with footage from Aliens recapping, no argument could have been made from his side, if they'd used a promotional image of Hicks from Aliens, no argument could be made..but they added a crt green filter and suddenly there was a legal case? It was a picture of Hicks, not Beihn. I mean it could also be argued that one of the reason actors are chosen among others is they look like the envisioned character.

This isn't Ash in the new movie, it's a Hyperdyne model 120-A2, which in-universe looks like Holm, just as we have models that look like Hendricksen and Fassbender.. in 60 years from now, absolutely nobody is going to blink an eye about a cgi Schwarzenegger cameo in Terminator 27 when an old Cyberdyne Systems Model 101 makes a brief appearance.. is this type of cameo exploitation, or a tribute to the original actor and keeping in with established canon?

I honestly cant envision a scenario where Holm wouldn't have chosen to be de-aged or voiced this character for this had he been alive, or given his full blessings; sure, we don't *know* unless it's specifically documented anywhere, but I don't recall any interviews or anything where he said he *wouldnt* return..

What were your thoughts on
Spoiler
Harold Ramis appearing in
[close]
Ghostbusters Afterlife?
Spoiler
I thought it was very tastefully and respectfully done (and quite an emotional scene) yet I only realised afterwards it was done without consent.
[close]
😅

[close]

SiL

Quote from: Acid_Reign161 on May 12, 2024, 10:01:46 AM
Spoiler
But we don't know that Holm *hasn't* given that permission yet, and until we do, any suggestion of exploiting the deceased is currently unfounded, it's just an assumption (or a concern). 😅
[close]
Spoiler
Which is exactly why it needs to be made clear before the film comes out so people can make an informed decision.
[close]

Spoiler
This is why I never understood the fuss made about the photo at the beginning of Alien 3 (aside from the fact it was barely recognisable as him on screen) - he doesn't own the character Hicks... if 20th Century fox want to churn out books, documentaries toys etc with imagery from 'Aliens', there's no issue using screenshots from it... if alien 3 had opened with footage from Aliens recapping, no argument could have been made from his side, if they'd used a promotional image of Hicks from Aliens, no argument could be made..but they added a crt green filter and suddenly there was a legal case? It was a picture of Hicks, not Beihn. I mean it could also be argued that one of the reason actors are chosen among others is they look like the envisioned character.
[close]
Spoiler
This is how likeness rights work. Notice how no toy or figure of Kane looks like John Hurt? They have no right to use his likeness outside of what he agreed to. Same with Hicks: Beihn signed off on Aliens and that film only; anything else would require additional rights. Alien 3 is a separate property and required a separate rights agreement; that's why his dummy was designed with a destroyed face.
[close]

Spoiler
Spoiler
[close]
Ghostbusters Afterlife?
Spoiler
I thought it was very tastefully and respectfully done (and quite an emotional scene) yet I only realised afterwards it was done without consent.
[close]
😅
[close]
Spoiler
Hate it!
[close]

The Cruentus

Quote from: Feeds On Minds on May 12, 2024, 05:03:54 AMThat leak doesn't bother me.
Spoiler
it's the stupid retrieval of big chap that I find eye-rolling.
[close]

Agreed. Guess folks don't realize just how space works.

Acid_Reign161

Spoiler
Spoiler
[close]
Ghostbusters Afterlife?
Spoiler
[close]
😅
[close]
Spoiler
Hate it!
[close]

Fair enough... I really liked that scene 😅

426Buddy

Quote from: Feeds On Minds on May 12, 2024, 05:03:54 AMThat leak doesn't bother me.
Spoiler
[close]
QuoteAgreed. Guess folks don't realize just how space works.

Or it's just a movie in a series that has never portrayed space or physics accurately.

BigDaddyJohn

I can't say I'm a fan of
Spoiler
Chap being retrieved in space and Holm being CGI'ed.
[close]
Still I'll wait for the final result to have definitive judgment.

SiL

SiL

Quote from: Acid_Reign161 on May 12, 2024, 10:36:30 AM
Spoiler
Spoiler
[close]
Ghostbusters Afterlife?
Spoiler
[close]
😅
[close]
Spoiler
Hate it!
[close]

Fair enough... I really liked that scene 😅
I don't feel the ends justify the means in these cases.

Quote from: 426Buddy on May 12, 2024, 11:12:45 AM
Spoiler
[close]

Or it's just a movie in a series that has never portrayed space or physics accurately.
It has communicated how big and empty and easy it is for nobody to be able to help you on multiple occasions, though.

The Cruentus

Quote from: 426Buddy on May 12, 2024, 11:12:45 AM
Spoiler
[close]

First few films had ftl and artificial gravity sure, but its never been explained in film how its achieved, This isn't the same as something being very clearly shot out of an air lock and blown away by the shuttle's rockets while said shuttle is probably traveling at ftl. There is no friction in space so BC would have been pushed in whatever direction it went and kept going until it hit something. Its extremely unlikely and stupidly coincidental for someone to find it, even if they were looking for it.

426Buddy

Also the salvage team finding the Narcissus. The reality of it is that is also statistically improbable if not almost impossible. 57 years or a 1000, doesn't matter.

And at the end of the day, its just a movie. Like the artificial gravity, noise in space, or the dropships flying in and out of atmosphere, its not accurate. But I can look past those issues and I can look past this too if the film is good.

The Cruentus

It is made clear that is was blind luck and it took 57 years while she was drifting through the CORE systems.

426Buddy

426Buddy

Quote from: The Cruentus on May 12, 2024, 12:01:49 PMIt is made clear that is was blind luck and it took 57 years while she was drifting through the CORE systems.

Maybe this is blind luck too? You give a pass to one because you like the film, not because its accurate.

57 or 1000, doesnt matter lol.

The Cruentus

57 years and in what is implied to be known space i.e core systems.  Where BG was ejected was in the middle of nowhere in the space of nowhere. Do you have any idea how big space is?

Also the shuttle probably has some signature that allowed a salvage team to pick it up.

426Buddy

Quote from: The Cruentus on May 12, 2024, 12:05:44 PM57 years and in what is implied to be known space i.e core systems.  Where BG was ejected was in the middle of nowhere in the space of nowhere. Do you have any idea how big space is?

Also the shuttle probably has some signature that allowed a salvage team to pick it up.

She drifted right though the core systems actually, so she was in the middle of no where. I'm telling you it wouldnt be possible to find her and you're asking me if I know how big space is?  :laugh:

Maybe they'll include a throwaway line about finding it was blind luck and it drifted into the core systems, worked in Aliens lol.

The Cruentus

The line about the core systems implies she went through space that was at least known, and still wasn't detected which is why its more plausible than a tiny alien that was expelled in the middle of nowhere being picked up (in less time no less) than Ripley did when she was drifting in a bright white shuttle with electronics active to be detected.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed