A Life of Jesus (Martin Scorsese)

Started by Nightmare Asylum, May 29, 2023, 12:12:10 PM

Author
A Life of Jesus (Martin Scorsese) (Read 1,611 times)

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

kwisatz

Always wanted Scorsese to do a film about Jesus..

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: kwisatz on May 29, 2023, 12:15:01 PMAlways wanted Scorsese to do a film about Jesus..

Hahaha, hence having to make sure I got the word "upcoming" in the thread title to avoid confusion. :laugh:

kwisatz

TLToC is fantastic btw. One of my all favs

KiramidHead

Well this is interesting. I wonder what Marty's take on Jesus will be in this one.

Nightmare Asylum

QuoteDe Niro also addressed whether he would be interested in starring in Scorsese's next film after the director announced earlier this week that he had met with Pope Francis and will make a film about Jesus Christ.

"I don't know who I'd play. He might — if he asked me, at the end of the day, I don't know," De Niro said, to which Rosenthal quipped, "I've always thought you walked on water."

"I don't know what would happen. He [Scorsese] knows, he'll think of something for me that I would do," De Niro continued. "Marty is very concerned about time, as he should be. More so, say, than me. I'm an actor, basically. So I can do more things in the time that — I don't want to say [the time that] I 'have left,' but I have to say it like that. Marty also — he said the other day in Cannes — he only has so much time. So when he does a project, it's a couple of years. So every one is very, very important. So that could be his. He hasn't told me anything about it, but that doesn't mean... [trails off]."

https://variety.com/2023/film/news/robert-de-niro-tribeca-scorsese-jesus-film-killers-of-the-flower-moon-1235630095/

Shasvre

I heard about this a few days ago. Very interested in seeing it. :)

Nightmare Asylum

kwisatz

Marty! Kundun, I liked it!

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: kwisatz on Jun 14, 2023, 07:34:32 PMMarty! Kundun, I liked it!

Wishing you the best at the Cleaver premiere!

KiramidHead

If it's half as good as Last Temptation or Silence, it will be amazing.

Nightmare Asylum

Martin Scorsese Plans to Shoot 'A Life of Jesus' Later This Year

QuoteLast summer, after attending a conference in Italy called Global Aesthetics of the Catholic Imagination (while his global press tour for "Killers of the Flower Moon" had only just begun), director Martin Scorsese said he met with Pope Francis and planned to make a movie about Jesus. That might have seemed like excitable hyperbole, but according to a new interview Scorsese did with the LA Times, that's exactly what he'll be doing later this year.

According to the report, the movie will be based on Shūsaku Endō's book of the same name; Endō also wrote the book that "Silence" was based on. It was co-written by Kent Jones, a critic, filmmaker and former staple of the New York Film Festival, and will be set mostly in modern day (although don't hold Scorsese to that). Scorsese expects the film to run 80 minutes and, according to the report, will mostly be "focusing on Jesus' core teachings in a way that explores the principles but doesn't proselytize." It will shoot later this year.

"I'm trying to find a new way to make it more accessible and take away the negative onus of what has been associated with organized religion," Scorsese told the LA Times.

Scorsese continued: "Right now, 'religion,' you say that word and everyone is up in arms because it's failed in so many ways. But that doesn't mean necessarily that the initial impulse was wrong. Let's get back. Let's just think about it. You may reject it. But it might make a difference in how you live your life — even in rejecting it. Don't dismiss it offhand. That's all I'm talking about. And I'm saying that as a person who's going to be 81 in a couple of days. You know what I'm saying?"

Scorsese, of course, has a complicated relationship with religion and Jesus Christ himself. Most of his movies reflect his staunch Catholic upbringing and are suffused with Catholic guilt and imagery closely connected to the religion. But in 1988 he courted controversy when he made "The Last Temptation of Christ," which focused on a variety of temptations that Jesus Christ (Willem Dafoe) was teased with, including sexuality. (A disclaimer made it very clear it was not based on the gospels, but rather a historical novel. The original novel was written by Nikos Kazantzakis and adapted by impish Scorsese collaborator Paul Schrader.) It seems as though this new adaptation will be more straightforward.

Scorsese's "Killers of the Flower Moon" is now available digitally or on Apple TV+.

https://www.thewrap.com/martin-scorsese-new-jesus-movie-later-2024/

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Jan 08, 2024, 05:42:14 PM
Martin Scorsese Plans to Shoot 'A Life of Jesus' Later This Year

He's working fast now. Maybe that quip from Ridley about doing 5 movies for every 1 Scorsese does got to him.  :laugh:

Funny him visiting the Colosseum though, that was only completed in 80 AD. Maybe he was just doing general tourist things rather than research.

Kradan

Kradan

I'm genuinely interested

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed