Should Predator explore the multiverse?

Started by Chieftain Suom, Sep 21, 2022, 06:21:51 PM

Author
Should Predator explore the multiverse? (Read 3,648 times)

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

Shared universe was the 2010s fad. Multiverse is the current fad -- Predator doesn't need it to keep going. It's anthological. Hunts anywhere in time and space...

razeak

I'm all for What If and Elseworlds type stories. I just don't want to see Predators or Aliens vs god powered characters. That can be done well though. The first Superman/Alien crossover was excellent and had a great plot device to put Superman in danger.  Batman/Aliens was okay, but they wrote themselves into a corner a few times.  Batman/Predator was really excellent too.

Wolverine is an obvious go to, but his regeneration abilities are pretty crazy. Maybe do a crossover based on when he first lost his adamantium and his healing ability was burnt out, where he has a real consequence.

The gun wielding characters are all simple enough to do ie Punisher, Deadshot etc (or even Cyclops).

Once you get to stuff like Superman or Hulk, its unlikely to be high quality at that power level again, but I wouldn't turn my nose up at it to see it.

What kind of scenario would either creature be interesting versus Hulk? Superman literally had decades of canon to back his power reduction in that first comic.

You could also do "wallpaper" changes and make some stories. Stormtroopers instead of Colonial Marines etc. Jedi vs a Predator could be an idea. What would a predator devise to deal with something like a lightsaber and precognition?  Well.....a sawed off shotgun probably lol.

Kradan

Quote from: razeak on Nov 03, 2022, 05:24:37 PMa great plot device to put Superman in danger. 

I would like to know more and not afraid of spoilers

kwisatz

Quote from: Kradan on Nov 03, 2022, 06:16:15 PMnot afraid of spoilers

It's a bird... It's a plane... It's

Spoiler
Kra-An
[close]

Kradan

Who's that ?

kwisatz

kwisatz

I decided not to go for the ultimate low joke and so at least Kal-El'd your name

Kradan

I suspected you did but decided to double-check

kwisatz

Spoiler
[close]

Kradan

Spoiler
[close]

ralfy

Maybe just crossovers with other parts of the same universe, e.g., with Blade Runner, or create new ones, like the previous reference to Outland, i.e., using the companies concerned in the Alien, Predator, and Blade Runner franchises.

What's humorous, though, is that there are also several sitcoms, crime dramas, sci fi shows, etc., belonging to the same universe, e.g., law firms having one or more of the companies involved as clients in some shows, some of characters in those shows appearing in others, etc.

razeak

Quote from: Kradan on Nov 03, 2022, 06:16:15 PM
Quote from: razeak on Nov 03, 2022, 05:24:37 PMa great plot device to put Superman in danger. 

I would like to know more and not afraid of spoilers

It's been a long time, but basically, there is a space probe that Superman discovers will lead him to a lost Kryptonian space station/floating city. He has to take a spaceship to get there etc., but he gets his power from yellow sunlight, so he weakens down to human strength levels over time once he gets away from Earth. When he arrives, well you can guess what happened to the city. He is still strong and damage resilient when he first arrives, but an alien can hurt him at that point. It's one of my favorite crossovers. It was a 3 issue series in the 1990s.

Kradan

Huh. that's clever

razeak

Much more clever than the follow up, or the absurd Batman/Aliens II, or the one with Predators and the volcano.

Without using the right characters, or coming up with a good scenario, most DC characters are just so powerful that it's usually not good to mix these elements.

Ar-Durinn

Ar-Durinn

I really like when Batman first meet pred,
not only because that Batman is my favorite champ in DC,
also I glad preds they found out how good Batman is and reward him,
like a neighbor come around have fun with him.  :laugh:

But I want it stop right there, Batman is enough for me, I dont need more champs involve.
The multiverse is messed up enough, and so are AVP and Canon, and until they can sort out the AVP, any opening of the multiverse feels to me like the company dropping a nuke on this series :o

ralfy

Here's one:

https://www.unsupervisednerds.com/reads-full/2021/1/20/the-tommy-westphall-universe

QuoteSt. Elsewhere doctors visit the bar from Cheers. Cheers' Frasier Crane then spun-off into Frasier. In Frasier the title character's radio show is called into by John Hemmingway from The John Larroquette Show. The John Larroquette Show references Yoyodyne, a client of Wolfram & Hart in Angel. Another Wolfram & Hart client is Weyland-[Yutani], which is a company that makes some of the weapons in Firefly (and is also a major deal in the Alien movies).

In addition, some of the characters in St. Elsewhere shows up in Homicide, The Bob Newhart Show, etc., and one character from M*A*S*H* is mentioned. One doctor from the hospital is paged in Degrassi, another has a cousin in  Tattinger's, a third wins the same award as a doctor in Chicago Hope, the company that manages the hospital also manages the prison in Oz, the hospital is suggested to one doctor for future employment in Providence, the mother of a character in Boston Public receives pension from the same hospital, etc.

I think two characters from Frasier show up in Caroline in the City. The main character of that show shows up in Friends. One of the characters in that has a twin sister in Mad About You (maybe the actor in that show is one of Burke's ancestors), and one of the characters in that encounters another from Seinfeld.

And then, of course, there's the connection between the Alien and Predator franchises.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed