Sad after watching Aliens

Started by Billiken, Dec 27, 2020, 11:03:53 PM

Author
Sad after watching Aliens (Read 13,501 times)

SiL

SiL

Quote from: SpreadEagleBeagle on Jan 04, 2021, 03:37:56 AM
But it isn't lackluster in its execution.
Sure it is.

QuoteEven so, A3 is definitely quite unique in its premise compared to the other movies in the series.
That doesn't make it a masterpiece with or without quotations.

Quote from: Highland on Jan 04, 2021, 04:46:05 AM
I guess you could technically get a film that has flaws and is still a masterpiece. Like is Jaws a masterpiece or a flawed master piece?

What have I done....
A masterpiece doesn't mean without flaws. It means a work of exceptional skill. Alien 3 is not that. It is a mess. It has some beautiful work in it, but as a movie as a whole, it is no masterpiece.

Saying "it could've been a masterpiece if it wasn't bad" is just really dumb and I don't know why people are honestly trying to argue it.

SpreadEagleBeagle

Quote from: SiL on Jan 04, 2021, 05:07:27 AM
Quote from: SpreadEagleBeagle on Jan 04, 2021, 03:37:56 AM
But it isn't lackluster in its execution.
Sure it is.

::)

QuoteEven so, A3 is definitely quite unique in its premise compared to the other movies in the series.
That doesn't make it a masterpiece with or without quotations.

In my previous posts I mentioned more thoroughly and in detail why indeed it deserves the honorary title of a flawed "masterpiece".

Btw. you and I are not getting anywhere with this, and I honestly don't care as it seems like there are plenty of people here, as well as outside these forums, who get the point. Flawed masterpieces are a thing whether you like it or not.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

I guess you could technically get a film that has flaws and is still a masterpiece. Like is Jaws a masterpiece or a flawed master piece?

What have I done....

How about The Last Jedi?

kwisatz

kwisatz

It has the high ground.

Highland

Highland

Quote from: Local Trouble on Jan 04, 2021, 05:29:44 AM

What have I done....

How about The Last Jedi?

Ive shot people under the table for less.

Also I agree with Sil still , A3 isnt even really a flawed masterpiece, but I can totally see why people would love it.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Some people love TLJ too.  I'm not sure why, but there you go.

kwisatz

kwisatz

Here's a better one: A New Hope.

SiL

SiL

A flawed masterpiece is usually something that still shows some kind of exceptional skill but falls short of its intention, something otherwise great that lacks je ne sais quoi.

Alien 3 doesn't lack je ne sais quoi, it lacks a good script.

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

Quote from: kwisatz on Jan 04, 2021, 05:53:00 AM
Here's a better one: A New Hope.

The best popcorn flick ever made a "flawed" masterpiece?

GTFO. 

kwisatz

kwisatz

I thought that was Salò.

ESB is a masterpiece tho.

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

ESB is the pinnacle. 

Best popcorn flick is actually Lone Wolf Mcquade. 

kwisatz

kwisatz

ESB also clearly showed that a lot of the acting in ANH wasn't intentionally a Flash Gordon Homage.

Highland

Highland

What if when they landed on Tatooine, they unfreeze Han.....and he's dead. Return of the Jedi - By Ryan Johnson.

SiL

SiL

I'm pretty sure that's just Return of the Jedi: Harrison Ford Didn't Renew His Contract Edition.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

So are we in agreement that Alien 3 is the TLJ of the Alien series?

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed