Napoleon - Ridley Scott's film with Joaquin Phoenix

Started by Immortan Jonesy, Oct 14, 2020, 08:31:32 PM

Author
Napoleon - Ridley Scott's film with Joaquin Phoenix (Read 93,575 times)

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Quote from: The WrapJoaquin Phoenix to Attend 'Napoleon' Paris Premiere in Post-Strike Return to Normal for Red Carpets
Vanessa Kirby is also scheduled to attend the soiree.

"Napoleon" is ready to conquer again.

The upcoming Ridley Scott action epic, from Apple and Sony, will host its world premiere on Tuesday, Nov. 14 at the Salle Pleyel in Paris, and it will be the first film premiere since the strike ended to have a full roster of actors in attendance, aside from the few that received interim agreements from SAG-AFTRA like "Priscilla" and "The Hunger Games: The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes.

https://www.thewrap.com/napoleon-premiere-joaquin-phoenix-vanessa-kirby-strike/

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

First official clip released. It's not available on YouTube yet, but I will update this post when it is:

https://twitter.com/Fandango/status/1722977654721204675

ace3g

Ingwar

Ingwar

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Quote from: Ingwar on Nov 10, 2023, 09:55:33 PMThat was a quick battle ;D

Somehow I don't feel it. Seems rushed.

Yeah, although the battles in The Last Duel were also very truncated affairs. Lots of battles and limited run time I guess.  :-\

Love the underwater shots, one reminds me of the engineer in Prometheus falling into the water.

Also a bit of a taste of the soundtrack in that clip which sounds promising.

Quote'Napoleon' Composer Martin Phipps On Getting Into The Head Of An Outsider – Sound & Screen Film

When creating a score to fit the nuanced humanity of the man on a brutal warpath, composer Martin Phipps had quite the challenge. It only became that much more complex when he reached out to director Ridley Scott, who offered him no specifics on a musical theme.

"He's a super smart guy, and he talks about other things, but getting him to talk about the music was quite hard. I didn't get many conversations with him," Phipps told Deadline onstage at the Sound & Screen: Film concert event. "But when he did talk about [the score], he was really talking about the character and not being prescriptive about the music. [He didn't say], I want this kind of piece, I want strings or horns."

But what Scott lacked in musical specificity, he made up for in getting Phipps to at least understand where Napoleon was coming from before and during his rise to the French throne, the focus of the Columbia Pictures and Apple Original Film movie that stars Joaquin Phoenix and hits theaters November 22.

"[Scott wanted me] to understand that Napoleon was a character and that he was an outsider. He wasn't a polished aristocrat like many of the officers were in the army, and that's, in fact, why he escaped the guillotine because he was a low-ranking aristocrat. And he wanted me to represent that in music," Phipps said. "He wanted the sense that [Napoleon] was not a super popular guy; he was just a relatively simple, straightforward guy. He was a bit of a fighter. So, we went with something simple, something almost like a gangsters-type level of tune. We use trumpets and a simple waltz. We got into his head a little bit."

Phipps also talked about how he tracked down a centuries-old piano that Napoleon previously owned for the score.

https://deadline.com/2023/11/napoleon-composer-martin-phipps-on-music-1235599885/

ralfy

Maybe it'll be like Gladiator set hundreds of years later, with music video effects.

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Ridley's F*ck You Tour(TM) continues...

New interview with The Times, but the bloody thing is bloody paywalled!  >:(

https://twitter.com/JonathanDean_/status/1723640740989882617

Nightmare Asylum

But what about Ridley's own two superhero movies – Alien and Blade Runner?

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

I would argue they are more comic book (Moebius) movies rather than superhero movies.

KiramidHead

Didn't he also call Gladiator a superhero movie in that one interview?  :laugh:

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

F*ck You Tour 2021

Quote...the best films are driven by the characters, and we'll come to superheroes after this if you want, because I'll crush it. I'll f**king crush it. They're f**king boring as shit.

Their scripts are not any f**king good. I think I've done three great scripted superhero movies. One would be Alien with Sigourney Weaver. One would be f**king Gladiator, and one would be Harrison Ford...

They're superhero movies. So, why don't the superhero movies have better stories? Sorry. I got off the rail, but I mean, c'mon. They're mostly saved by special effects, and that's becoming boring for everyone who works with special effects, if you've got the money.

https://deadline.com/2021/11/ridley-scott-house-of-gucci-lady-gaga-adam-driver-the-last-duel-oscar-season-1234872529/

KiramidHead

Not Deckard, Harrison Ford.  :laugh:

Immortan Jonesy

He hasn't done anything about superheroes, but the man has done almost everything.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed