When does Predators take place?

Started by lightsyder, May 29, 2020, 03:39:35 PM

Author
When does Predators take place? (Read 8,255 times)

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: SM on Jun 05, 2020, 03:50:27 AM
Ah okay.

I don't really buy his take on Predators not having happened yet - because he doesn't actually have a take.

Nor do I buy his take on when The Predator takes place since 2020 has a full moon on Halloween and 2018 doesn't.  Unless of course there's a calendar on a wall somewhere that I haven't spotted yet.  If there is, then you have an AvP situation where moon phases don't match the quoted date in the film, and I'd go with the latter.

The day the moon dictates canonical dates is the day I double my daily alcohol consumption!

Huggs

Huggs

SM is the man on the moon!

SpaceKase

SpaceKase

Quote from: Huggs on Jun 05, 2020, 05:59:34 PM

...this thornbush, his thornbush; and this dog, his pred-dog.

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Jun 05, 2020, 05:58:06 PM

The day the moon dictates canonical dates is the day I double my daily alcohol consumption!

Okay dude, but when your excuses start getting this nuanced, you gotta start to think... Maybe you just like drinking and it's not about the predator monster after all.

Stitch

Stitch

Quote from: SM on Jun 05, 2020, 03:50:27 AM
Ah okay.

I don't really buy his take on Predators not having happened yet - because he doesn't actually have a take.

Nor do I buy his take on when The Predator takes place since 2020 has a full moon on Halloween and 2018 doesn't.  Unless of course there's a calendar on a wall somewhere that I haven't spotted yet.  If there is, then you have an AvP situation where moon phases don't match the quoted date in the film, and I'd go with the latter.

If you're getting worked up about this, just try dealing with the dates in the Terminator series.

SpaceKase

SpaceKase

Quote from: Stitch on Jun 05, 2020, 11:15:51 PM

If you're getting worked up about this, just try dealing with the dates in the Terminator series.

Hahaha, No dice! All bets are off when time travel starts blasting off multiverses. I gave up after the Sarah Connor Chronicles. At some point you've gotta throw your hands up and admit there's no fate but what you make. There's not enough tequila and potato chips in the world to unravel that Gordian knot.

SM

SM

Quote from: SpaceKase on Jun 05, 2020, 07:32:42 PM
Quote from: Huggs on Jun 05, 2020, 05:59:34 PM

...this thornbush, his thornbush; and this dog, his pred-dog.

Okay dude, but when your excuses start getting this nuanced, you gotta start to think... Maybe you just like drinking and it's not about the predator monster after all.

Filthy casuals...

lightsyder

lightsyder

Shane claiming The Predator is in 2018 does tie in well with Keyes' OWLA recordings and Dutch's briefing tapes from Hunting Grounds.  Keyes says the OWLA is abolished and Stargazer comes about in or around August 2016.  Then a Dutch tape dated 1/13/19 claims Stargazer was dismantled and has gone rogue.  If The Predator was October 2018 then that disaster causing the group to be disbanded by January 2019 fits well.  Maybe the Hunting Grounds writers got a 2018 date from the Predator lore bible I've seen mentioned.

SM

SM

Wasn't Rory working for Stargazer at the end or was that another organisation?

lightsyder

lightsyder

I don't think it really said.  Looked like it might be a more military ran group?  The Hunting Grounds stuff seems to ignore all of that for now.  I hope future DLC ties in with that, Predators and AvP:R

SpaceKase

SpaceKase

Quote from: SM on Jun 06, 2020, 12:41:09 AM

Filthy casuals...

"Hi there! Vinz Clortho, Keymaster of Gozer... Volguus Zildrohoar, Lord of the Seboullia. Live with the Tobin's Spirit Guide Gazette. On the scene and in your face! Sir, for the audience at home, are you the prophesied Gatekeeper?"

But on the real though, a firm calendar date paired with a given moon phase is a solid coordinate for making an ambiguous determination, it checks pretty good. Any overt contradiction from the film would just relegate the lunar data point to an internal inconsistency. 

It's sorta like pinning down the year for Moore's "Hunters and Hunted".  In General Woodhurst's condolence letter to the family of Elmore Strand, he cites the date of the Sergeant's death as Thursday, October 27th. Of the likely years in which Oct 27th fell on a Thursday, your range of probabilities narrows considerably down to 2005, 2016, or 2022. At a figurative "Twenty-odd years" since the 1997 LA incident, this makes 2016 this most likely. It's just some classic nerdy deduction for those who seek therapy through mapping fictional spacetimes.

Well, the casual cartographers anyway. And lemme tell ye, friends. No one's filthier or more casual than this SpaceKase here.  ;)

(But don't bring up the dates on Traeger's iPad, 'cause I don't wanna hear about it!)

Quote from: lightsyder on Jun 06, 2020, 01:39:30 AM
I don't think it really said.  Looked like it might be a more military ran group?  The Hunting Grounds stuff seems to ignore all of that for now.  I hope future DLC ties in with that, Predators and AvP:R

Oh Yea yea, wasn't the original story supposed to have EJO's Gen. Woodhurst reasserting command of the project and assets?

SM

SM

I wouldn't worry too much about the iPad. The co-ordinates are for Chile and Mexico. They don't appear to be references to the earlier flicks (even if that might've been the intent).

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: SpaceKase on Jun 05, 2020, 07:32:42 PM

Hey!!!

I resemble that remark!!!

lightsyder

lightsyder

"therapy through mapping fictional spacetimes"...I like that!  Lol.  It's just fun working on this kind of stuff and digging into the lore.  You should see my Stargate timeline...lol

I'm working on a Predator timeline now which is what spawned these questions in the first place.  I'm getting ready to read Hunters and Hunted then on to Hunting Grounds prequel.

SM

SM

I just started reading Hunters and Hunted myself.

I'd be interested to see what you come up with the Predator timeline when you're done.  :)

lightsyder

lightsyder

Be happy to share!  Your alien universe timeline is excellent by the way!  Great work

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed