What is the most likely format for a last Alien prequel?

Started by Immortan Jonesy, Dec 31, 2019, 06:19:51 AM

If we're lucky to have a follow up to Covenant. What is the most likely format for a last prequel?

Film
29 (70.7%)
TV Film
2 (4.9%)
TV series
12 (29.3%)
Short films
0 (0%)
As part of an anthology of short stories
0 (0%)
A soft reboot for a movie or TV series
3 (7.3%)
Novel
6 (14.6%)
Comic Book
3 (7.3%)
Graphic novel
4 (9.8%)
Video Game
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 41

Author
What is the most likely format for a last Alien prequel? (Read 3,969 times)

Local Trouble

Imagine them trying to explain why David looks 20 years older than he did in Prometheus.  It'll be like Data's cameo in Picard.

The Old One

The Old One

"I was designed like this, because you are more comfortable interacting with your own kind."
(You set it twenty years later.)

Voodoo Magic

Unfortunately "nothing" is a reasonable yet missing choice, considering it's Disnox now, stacked with a perceived public rejection / downwards trend towards David's continuation after the steep drop in box-office revenue from Prometheus to Alien Covenant.

I chose a comicbook for David's future, a personal guess that will become null & void once the Dark Horse license runs out and assumingly is not renewed. :-\

The Old One

The Old One

I'd love a proper graphic novel with time, talent and love poured into it but I think that's unlikely, especially if DH loses the license. I think in that respect a film is actually more likely, but only likely if Ridley Scott's The Last Duel, is a critical and financial darling. After that, even as much as I like the idea of a post-AR soft reboot banking on the nostalgia from the first three but with actual content, I think that's even more unlikely as the most profitable Alien film isn't anywhere near the success of any Star Wars film for instance.

Voodoo Magic

I can see the powers that be reboot a new Alien universe with an upcoming young star and only support it with rebooted EU unfortunately.

Nukiemorph

Another option that could be added to the poll:  A comment from Ridley.

That's the absolute least I'm hoping for.

We'll get a reboot or a requel, which ignores the prequels, quietly confirming that the prequels are dead.  Then someone will ask Ridley what his plans were in an interview and he'll give a brief rundown of what was going to happen.  Then we can at least hold that information as canon background information that happened in between movies.

Local Trouble

How about: "The droid is cooked."

Nukiemorph

Quote from: Local Trouble on Jan 06, 2020, 09:13:39 PM
Imagine them trying to explain why David looks 20 years older than he did in Prometheus.  It'll be like Data's cameo in Picard.
David could be severely damaged by the time we see him next - with a torn-up milky goreface.

Immortan Jonesy

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Jan 06, 2020, 09:37:38 PM
I chose a comicbook for David's future, a personal guess that will become null & void once the Dark Horse license runs out and assumingly is not renewed. :-\

While I prefer a movie, a comic or graphic novel seems like a good idea  :)

Quote from: Fiendishly Inventive on Jan 06, 2020, 09:09:44 PM
I can see that working, I'm fine with a soft reboot in the style of the first three Alien films but I worry that it may lean into Aliens in particular to the point of parody, I'm beyond the point of exhausted with nostalgia in the place of real content anyway.

Although unlikely, it can work if done well.

Quote from: David's Creation on Jan 07, 2020, 12:46:23 AM
Another option that could be added to the poll:  A comment from Ridley.

That's the absolute least I'm hoping for.

You mean a director's quote? like the time he said that Space Jockey has been on LV-426 for millennia.

Quote from: David's Creation on Jan 07, 2020, 12:55:32 AM
David could be severely damaged by the time we see him next - with a torn-up milky goreface.

Yeah I don't see any problem with that.

You can use De-aging (CGI):

Make him too human:

Or just use a prop / animatronic

Quote from: Local Trouble on Jan 07, 2020, 12:48:55 AM
How about: "The droid is cooked."

"The robot is done. Cooked. I got lucky meeting Fassbender all those years ago. It's very hard to repeat that. I just happen to be the one who forced it through because they said it's obscene. They didn't want to do it and I said, 'I want to do it, it's fantastic'. But after two, I think it wears out a little bit. There's only so much snarling you can do."

The Old One

The Old One

I certainly hope it can work. If not. "There's nothing in the desert and no man needs nothing."

Immortan Jonesy

No Alien fan loves the franchise on hiatus. We love movies and EU. There is nothing in the franchise on hiatus and no Alien fan needs nothing.

;D

^ As a side note, I love that quote. Apparently it can be interpreted in more ways, form Quora:

Quote from: Quora AnswersThere are really two major categories of reading, I would think. The first is a really flat statement - 'there is nothing in the desert that people need' (therefore people don't go there).

The second more interesting reading all hinges on the word 'nothing', in particular the tension between how—as a noun—it purports to describe something and —on the other hand—its literal meaning of 'no thing'.

This kind of linguistic trick goes back to Homer - with Odysseus referring to himself as 'outis' (meaning no one), so that when he attacks the Cyclops Polyphemus, and the Cyclops calls for help, he does so by shouting, "No one has stabbed me in the eye". Again, the tension between a described thing (the person 'outis' and 'outis' as the absence of a thing).

As a result you get this extra interesting tension of overlapping meanings - in particular 'nothing' as a concept or as an idea that is disturbing and unsettling, existential void-like, being and nothingness - and no one needs to feel that and 'needing nothing' as a recognition of humans always needing *something*, always searching, looking, craving, feeling want.

It's an interesting line because it resists collapsing down to one of these three simple meanings, like an optical illusion that is two faces or a candlestick, or the one which looks either like a bunny or a duck. Your brain flicks between them, attempting to resolve the tensions and the multiple meanings, leaving it to stick in your head.

If you're looking for the one clear, comprehensible meaning of the phrase though, you're a bit stuffed, because there isn't one. It sits in the tension and the switching between these multiple readings, meaning all of them concurrently and none of them exclusively. That's why it's memorable, intriguing, interesting, confounding and why you're asking the question about it here.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Actwually, you'll find it was established that Data had an aging program that was established in TNG that explains this. (or so I read online, I can't remember it myself)

Honestly, with how divisive the prequels have been and how much I don't trust Ridley to end the story in a satisfying way, I think I'm at the point where I'd rather they just be abandoned and left something of a mystery.

I'd be more interested in a soft reboot set post-Alien 3 that apes Alien/s a little bit to establish a new set of characters and major narrative and go off and do some new films.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Jan 07, 2020, 08:45:09 AM

Actwually, you'll find it was established that Data had an aging program that was established in TNG that explains this. (or so I read online, I can't remember it myself)

This is the first I've heard of it.  I mean, we saw future-Data in the series finale and all he had was a grey streak in his hair.  Granted, that was an alternate future, but if his "aging program" was established earlier in TNG then...

Oh well, David can grow his hair out so I suppose he was designed to more closely mimic human physiology anyway.  Buy comparison, Data always looked pretty alien for someone who wanted to be a real boy.

Corporal Hicks

Season 7 apparently.

QuoteLAFORGE: It's part of her aging programme. Not only does she age in appearance like Data, her vital signs change too.

Inheritance

Local Trouble

I wonder if the aging program includes weight gain.  Picard's Data is looking a bit puffy these days.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed