Thoughts on a Predator film without the Yautja

Started by Rebel-Blood, Sep 02, 2019, 05:14:56 AM

What do you think of the concept of a Predator film without Yautja?

All for it
0 (0%)
No way, it's called Predator for a reason
13 (86.7%)
Meh
0 (0%)
Let's give it a shot
2 (13.3%)
Focus on something else
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 15

Voting closed: Sep 12, 2019, 05:14:56 AM

Author
Thoughts on a Predator film without the Yautja (Read 9,272 times)

Rebel-Blood

I have watched the Predator series for a long time and hear me out on this as this a little out there. I got the idea once of what would it be like for a Predator film without the Yautja look like? My idea is what if instead of using the Yautja each sequential film introduces a new baddie but keeps the theme of the series. The way I see it is almost like Prometheus where Ridley decided to go back to the Alien series and return to the juggernaut theme. Unlike Prometheus however, this would definitely keep the same ambience and feel from Predator and by that I mean this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqnqYjVcH-4

Naginata

I mean, it's an interesting idea, but I can't help but feel it's a little late for this sort of shake-up. After five sequels, innumerable comics/novels/video games, and a huge pop culture imprint, I think switching out the Predator for a different alien would just be out of left field. The vast majority of people see a pic of a Yautja, they go "Oh, it's the Predator."

There's also the problem of how you differentiate the new villain; most of the weapons are either going to be variations on Predator tech or sci-fi spins on real world stuff, so I'm not really sure how it would be anything but a pallet-swap of the original... And let's face it, beating THAT face is going to be a real challenge design-wise. It's iconic for a reason.

Now, another species with a similar MO competing with (or flat-out hunting) the traditional Pred might be something, but it would have to be handled carefully.

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

Yeah, just switching the Yautja out with another "new baddie" that I guess likes to hunt too I think devalues one of things that makes the Predator so special.

Also different beings each entry makes your films more X-Files or Men in Black or Agents of Shield.  A film series that revolves around the protagonists, not the antagonist. Like if you're making a Colonial Marines movie without Xenos but with some other Alien creature to fight, why bother calling it an Alien film.

* spelling edit

SuperiorIronman

I'd be interested in it but with a few reservations.

Pop-culturally speaking this comes far too late. We are at this juncture where over four solo films and two crossovers in, we know what the Predator is. We also know what the Predator franchise is and that's the big one. Changing up antagonists now doesn't make a whole lot of sense given we know what the titular monster is. We have a fair share of flexibility as well when it comes to depictions, so keeping it fresh is far less of an issue than it is in an Alien movie. If we also replace the creature it needs to be distinct, but at that point we might as well make a new franchise even if it exists in the same universe. We could expand on things by showing species they are friendly with and maybe picked up some of their traits, but I don't see a Predator movie happening without any Yaujta.

Huggs

Predator: Office Luncheon

Rebel-Blood

Rebel-Blood

Quote from: Naginata on Sep 02, 2019, 01:32:24 PM
I mean, it's an interesting idea, but I can't help but feel it's a little late for this sort of shake-up. After five sequels, innumerable comics/novels/video games, and a huge pop culture imprint, I think switching out the Predator for a different alien would just be out of left field. The vast majority of people see a pic of a Yautja, they go "Oh, it's the Predator."

There's also the problem of how you differentiate the new villain; most of the weapons are either going to be variations on Predator tech or sci-fi spins on real world stuff, so I'm not really sure how it would be anything but a pallet-swap of the original... And let's face it, beating THAT face is going to be a real challenge design-wise. It's iconic for a reason.

Now, another species with a similar MO competing with (or flat-out hunting) the traditional Pred might be something, but it would have to be handled carefully.

I can understand the hesitance because it feels like it is taking away from the identity of the series. I do not agree with this being too late but maybe you are right about using a different name for the series perhaps taking place in the same universe thought it is not a neccessity. I do not think that it has to be some sort of alien, it could also be something from our world. There are plenty of stories and legends of various animals and monsters whether known or unknown, perhaps some these can be used as well and not just original creatures. The idea is it is like a horror anthology of stories but in this case built around the theme of Predator. I suppose what I have in mind could be similar to the film Creepshow or if more familiar to others; shows like Twilight Zone or The Outer Limits. Very recently Ridley Scott has taken part in the series The Terror where each season deals with a different story.

Naginata

I get where you're coming from, but I don't think it's Predator at that point. Why not just make it it's own thing?

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Naginata on Sep 02, 2019, 10:28:49 PM
I get where you're coming from, but I don't think it's Predator at that point. Why not just make it it's own thing?

Once you want to make Predator without Predator, I think it ceases being Predator. 

Alien, Predator... the creature is the title, even though both names were originally a vague category.

Kimarhi

Predator movies should have Predators in them.

Alien movies should have Aliens in them.   >:(

Like I've said all along with Prometheus, why not just have made it its own thing? 

Immortan Jonesy

Predatheus is the final frontier?  :laugh:

Huggs

Promalius: The Covaneer

Rebel-Blood

Quote from: Kimarhi on Sep 03, 2019, 01:51:02 AM
Predator movies should have Predators in them.

Alien movies should have Aliens in them.   >:(

Like I've said all along with Prometheus, why not just have made it its own thing? 

Prometheus is its own thing though why they chose to remerge the series with Alien in Covenant I will never understand. The whole point of a spinoff is that it does not mess with the main series. I think this is what this concept is, basically a spinoff of Predator. I am kind of confused by everyone, is everyone against naming any sequels Predator without the Yautja or is everyone against the entire concept? I think even if everyone is against the idea of a sequel with the name, I still think it would be a kickass concept for a spinoff series.

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Sep 02, 2019, 11:01:05 PM

Once you want to make Predator without Predator, I think it ceases being Predator. 

Alien, Predator... the creature is the title, even though both names were originally a vague category.

I think if you were to see what I have in mind, it may not seem like Predator in the beginning, but as you progress it will become pretty damn obvious that this is clearly inspired by Predator. This concept is borrowing the theme of Predator and the ambiance, you don't need the Yautjas for this. Heck when you think about it, the original Predator film could have been completely different maybe even a straight up horror movie. What we ended up getting is an action thriller.

Quote from: Huggs on Sep 02, 2019, 06:16:10 PM
Predator: Office Luncheon
I am wondering what in the hell is going on with this comment 😂

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Rebel-Blood on Sep 03, 2019, 12:46:10 PM
I think if you were to see what I have in mind, it may not seem like Predator in the beginning, but as you progress it will become pretty damn obvious that this is clearly inspired by Predator. This concept is borrowing the theme of Predator and the ambiance, you don't need the Yautjas for this. Heck when you think about it, the original Predator film could have been completely different maybe even a straight up horror movie. What we ended up getting is an action thriller.

Yeah, I'm not betting on you'll find many Predator fans that are seeking films just "inspired by Predator", but rather just more Predator films.

Rebel-Blood

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Sep 03, 2019, 03:37:05 PM
Quote from: Rebel-Blood on Sep 03, 2019, 12:46:10 PM

Yeah, I'm not betting on you'll find many Predator fans that are seeking films just "inspired by Predator", but rather just more Predator films.

You would be surprised because I think it adds a fresh spin on the Predator series and you look at the Yautja alot differently. At the same time I feel like if it is not directly tied to Predator then alot of people are going to complain that it is being a ripoff when clearly it was designed to be a spinoff or tie-in to Predator.

I have thought about this and I feel that although this concept could be interesting in the long run if done correctly, it will make the "original" Predator seem like nothing special and outdated and/or mystified beyond what it was. I guess it would be a double edged sword, there are pros and cons to this.

The Old One

The Old One

For the Alien universe yes, I think a film without the titular title character is entirely possible
for Predator no.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed