First cut of Alien

Started by Predator@Alien, Jun 07, 2019, 01:15:11 PM

Author
First cut of Alien (Read 5,551 times)

The Old One

The Old One

Absolutely but unless they rerelease Alien as part of the 4K Anthology, with an updated disc I don't see it being a reality.
And Disney's 4K track record isn't great.

Elmazalman

Elmazalman

Quote from: The Old One on Jun 11, 2019, 05:21:20 AM
Absolutely but unless they rerelease Alien as part of the 4K Anthology, with an updated disc I don't see it being a reality.
And Disney's 4K track record isn't great.
I'm not expecting anything. The DC was shoddily treated on 4K. Not my favourite cut of ALIEN, but it deserved more respect - it's still ALIEN.

SiL

SiL

Quote from: Hudson on Jun 11, 2019, 04:59:13 AM
Is the entire Alien Virtual Workprint a full 3 hours?
About 2hr 20.

Scenes like the planning, going back to the infirmary after the acid, and some of the others are only available in the master shot, so the scenes can't even be fan-edited to be more interesting through use of whatever other coverage they might've had. I think only the angle on Kane in the galley is available for the extended opening for example, but they likely filmed everyone entering and sitting down.

Elmazalman

Elmazalman

Quote from: SiL on Jun 11, 2019, 06:12:08 AM
Quote from: Hudson on Jun 11, 2019, 04:59:13 AM
Is the entire Alien Virtual Workprint a full 3 hours?
About 2hr 20.

Scenes like the planning, going back to the infirmary after the acid, and some of the others are only available in the master shot, so the scenes can't even be fan-edited to be more interesting through use of whatever other coverage they might've had. I think only the angle on Kane in the galley is available for the extended opening for example, but they likely filmed everyone entering and sitting down.
Unused junk like the "Crab Walk" has mid shots (the Alien) and close-ups (Lambert) but (more important) scenes like "Planning the Search" appear to be unfinished (two scenes exist in the Anthology set that are not master coverage shots: Parker takes a seat and a shot of Ripley & Dallas together).

SM

SM

There seems to be very little coverage of the rest of the crew waking and entering the galley.  It seems to be almost all Kane.

Predator@Alien

Predator@Alien

What is the Alien Virtual Workprint ?

SM

SM

Fan edit.

SiL

SiL

Quote from: SM on Jun 11, 2019, 06:59:34 AM
There seems to be very little coverage of the rest of the crew waking and entering the galley.  It seems to be almost all Kane.
Does the editing script mention anything? I should really read that thing at some point.

Predator@Alien

Predator@Alien

Quote from: SM on Jun 11, 2019, 07:21:25 AM
Fan edit.

Ah it's a fan made... That's why I don't know it.

But how did they do that ? Where did they find all of the scenes which are not in the Anthology ?

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Documentaries, b-roll, etc.

SiL

SiL

It also used the alternate Goldsmith score and the isolated on-set audio from the 20th anniversary edition, which has some different dialogue to the finished film.

SM

SM

Quote from: SiL on Jun 11, 2019, 07:27:04 AM
Quote from: SM on Jun 11, 2019, 06:59:34 AM
Does the editing script mention anything? I should really read that thing at some point.

Slates 162, 163, 165, and 166 all cover Kane waking and walking into the galley.  The only other slate is 167 which is listed as 'TV insert'.  The 'Rise and shine' deleted scene is 165. 166 is another angle on Kane making the coffee.

rijir

rijir

Quote from: Predator@Alien on Jun 11, 2019, 07:58:56 AM
Quote from: SM on Jun 11, 2019, 07:21:25 AM
Fan edit.

Ah it's a fan made... That's why I don't know it.

But how did they do that ? Where did they find all of the scenes which are not in the Anthology ?

I got all the footage for the virtual workprint from official DVD sources.  And it was before bluray so it doesn't include and of the new bits included there.

FenGiddel

FenGiddel

Such a cool shot of the set in that Kane clip.

Elmazalman

Elmazalman

Quote from: FenGiddel on Jun 11, 2019, 11:23:24 AM
Such a cool shot of the set in that Kane clip.
I'd like to see the additional scenes of Brett searching for Jones. The garage and claw room sets are my favourites - pretty much all of C-Level is.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed