Flaws of Alien. Not joking

Started by Kradan, Apr 13, 2019, 06:16:31 AM

Author
Flaws of Alien. Not joking (Read 20,747 times)

LastSurvivor92

LastSurvivor92

Literally the only flaw of the entire film that I see is the Ash head scene where the camera forgets to cut away before Ripley moved his head so that it would be more realistic. I think the shrunken head is kinda laughable but other than that I think the film is perfect, preferably the 2003 Directors Cut.

ep40

ep40

Personally I think that Alien is almost perfect but I think pacing would be better if there was some attempt to rework the sequence of self destruct activation->running to the shuttle->meeting with Alien->trying to abort self destruct and failing->running to the shuttle again. I understand the intention but it looks a little wonky to activate self destruct only to try to deactivate a moment later. It would be better of deactivation scene was cut and some other scene of evading the Alien was inserted.

The Cruentus

The Cruentus

Quote from: bobby brown on Apr 13, 2019, 07:04:10 AM
The facehugger supplying Kane with Oxygen in a zero oxygen atmosphere.

Does that mean it actually produces oxygen for him? a completely alien species? how convenient.

It might not have been zero, it could be trace amount of oxygen though that is probably unlikely due to an apparant lack of plant life. One could argue that it was using the suit's oxygen supply as it did penetrate the helmet.

Samhain13

Samhain13

Quote from: The Cruentus on Apr 21, 2019, 01:12:26 PM

Does that mean it actually produces oxygen for him? a completely alien species? how convenient.

It might not have been zero, it could be trace amount of oxygen though that is probably unlikely due to an apparant lack of plant life. One could argue that it was using the suit's oxygen supply as it did penetrate the helmet.

In the novelization its said there was a little amount of free oxygen in the atmosphere, Ash says the facehugger could have an oxygen extracting ability. Its not producing oxygen, its breaking down oxides that are tied to nitrogen and extracting only the oxygen to give it to Kane.

Vertigo

Vertigo

Quote from: ep40 on Apr 21, 2019, 12:19:30 PM
I think pacing would be better if there was some attempt to rework the sequence of self destruct activation->running to the shuttle->meeting with Alien->trying to abort self destruct and failing->running to the shuttle again. I understand the intention but it looks a little wonky to activate self destruct only to try to deactivate a moment later.

Yeah, you can figure out why she goes back to deactivate the self-destruct, but it's not made abundantly clear in the film. The split-second glimpse of the alien was originally going to be a lot longer, there's footage of it uncurling in the corridor. In that shot, you can tell that it's standing in the entrance to the Narcissus. I can see why they cut it, because the shot does make the alien look like a man in a suit, but its excision harms the narrative IMO.

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

It would have to provide it's victim with oxygen anyway (zero oxygen atmosphere or not) since it's covering the mouth and nose.

Besides, it's not exactly "a completely alien species" anymore, is it?  ;)

cloverfan98

cloverfan98

I feel like the characters could have been a bit fleshed out more before they arrive at the planet. I'm also not quite sure why Ripley didn't want to blow up the ship when Parker did but hey just my two cents. No movie's perfect so I don't think the idea of finding flaws in Alien is heresy or anything.

Elmazalman

Elmazalman

Quote from: Vertigo on Apr 21, 2019, 01:56:13 PM
I think pacing would be better if there was some attempt to rework the sequence of self destruct activation->running to the shuttle->meeting with Alien->trying to abort self destruct and failing->running to the shuttle again. I understand the intention but it looks a little wonky to activate self destruct only to try to deactivate a moment later.

Yeah, you can figure out why she goes back to deactivate the self-destruct, but it's not made abundantly clear in the film. The split-second glimpse of the alien was originally going to be a lot longer, there's footage of it uncurling in the corridor. In that shot, you can tell that it's standing in the entrance to the Narcissus. I can see why they cut it, because the shot does make the alien look like a man in a suit, but its excision harms the narrative IMO.
I thought the self-destruct sequence was clear enough in its editing: Ripley initiates the (10 minutes) self-destruct sequence and leaves to board the shuttle, blocked by the Alien, she returns and attempts to abort the self-destruct. She doesn't quite make it in time, the option to cancel (within the first five minutes) has now passed - countdown is inevitable, she has no choice but to go back (to the shuttle).

The deleted Alien corridor footage was wisely not used. The quick glimpses viewed in the final film are more effective, IMO.

Vertigo

Vertigo

My opinion, others may vary, is that it's not obvious in the film that the alien is blocking the entrance to the Narcissus. It just looks like she bumps into the alien somewhere and suddenly changes her mind about the self-destruct. It's a bit more telegraphed in the cut shot, because of the contrast between the safe-looking white area behind the alien and the dark technical corridor in front of it, and because the twin set of doors looks like an airlock.

SiL

SiL

This is the first time I've heard someone not think this was clear.

Elmazalman

Elmazalman

Quote from: Vertigo on Apr 21, 2019, 08:44:10 PM
My opinion, others may vary, is that it's not obvious in the film that the alien is blocking the entrance to the Narcissus. It just looks like she bumps into the alien somewhere and suddenly changes her mind about the self-destruct. It's a bit more telegraphed in the cut shot, because of the contrast between the safe-looking white area behind the alien and the dark technical corridor in front of it, and because the twin set of doors looks like an airlock.
It was set up (shortly before) in the film that she was preparing the shuttle for use. After setting the self-destruct, where else would she be headed but the shuttle?

The audience would (correctly) assume the Alien was blocking the route to the shuttle.

SM

SM

QuoteI'm also not quite sure why Ripley didn't want to blow up the ship when Parker did but hey just my two cents.

"The shuttle won't take four".

Quote from: SiL on Apr 21, 2019, 09:03:40 PM
This is the first time I've heard someone not think this was clear.

Indeed.

Elmazalman

Elmazalman

Quote from: Vertigo on Apr 21, 2019, 01:56:13 PM

I neglected to answer this. As Ripley sets the self-destruct, there's this exposition from MU/TH/UR, informing Ripley (and the audience) that:

"DANGER. THE EMERGENCY DESTRUCT SYSTEM IS NOW ACTIVATED. THE SHIP WILL DETONATE IN T-MINUS 10 MINUTES.
THE OPTION TO OVERRIDE AUTOMATIC DETONATION EXPIRES IN T-MINUS 05 MINUTES."

This is all the motivation Ripley needs - blocked by the Alien - she only has 5 minutes (or less) to abort the countdown.

Huggs

Huggs

The idea of a self destruct system always seemed a bit silly to me. It's not like the craft was being used to carry government secrets.

Unless it found itself in danger of crashing down onto a planet's surface or something, and had to be destroyed before it could harm anyone. Or piracy, I suppose. Either that or its some aftermarket illegal modification.

SiL

SiL

> Says it seems silly
> Lists good reasons it's there  :D

There are good reasons to have a scuttle procedure in place.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed