Alien Prototype - Tim Waggoner

Started by felix, Mar 25, 2019, 05:09:09 AM

Author
Alien Prototype - Tim Waggoner (Read 36,605 times)

The Old One

The Old One

Considering  Brian Wood's involvement in shaping the characters, it's honestly turned me off anything involving them further at all.

Xiggz456

Xiggz456

Finally finished! This one was good and quite horrific. Highly recommend!

Spoiler
And I just noticed that the xeno on the book cover has the necrosis lesions dripping their deadly goo! (Which was an aspect of the story that I found especially intriguing)
[close]

All in all I think this may be my favorite Zula Hendricks story. I give it a 9/10 and for comparison I give Defiance an 8/10, Resistance 7/10 and Rescue 6/10.

SM

SM

Nice.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

So it didn't arrive because Amazon have started using Hermes as their Prime courier, and given that they're utterly c*nts the book's vanished and I've had to order a copy from an actual book shop instead. Should be ready to collect tomorrow with any luck.

Corporal Hicks

I finished this at the weekend too. Thoroughly enjoyed it! Only downsides to me was the convenience of Zula being there, and I wish he'd done a little more with the bad guys. The scientist never really went past twisted evil guy and the Director seemed to be setup for a much bigger role than she was. I did really dig the spy though!!

I loved spending time with Zula. I really do love her a character. I loved what Waggoner did with the Alien itself. It was such a fun twist, and he was clearly enjoying himself while writing this! Recommended! Will get a review up over the next few days depending on the real world.

Xiggz456

Xiggz456

Ya I really liked how
Spoiler
Zula handled being a leader in this scenario. It felt very authentic. As for the scientist and director I found their portrayals to be realistic enough. Gagnon was cold, detached and only interested in scientific breakthrough whereas Fuentes was concerned on climbing the corporate ladder. Both roles served the purpose of facilitating the true bad guy: the alien.
[close]

Looking forward to the full review Hicks!

SM

SM

I'm wondering..

Spoiler
what people thought of Zula's team.
[close]

Corporal Hicks

Spoiler
I dug them well enough. Like the baddies, felt a little extra fleshing outside of the initial descriptions would have been nice, but I enjoyed the overcoming of the initial social difficulties and them all coming together.
[close]

Xiggz456

Xiggz456

Spoiler
I really felt for the team. They were in way over their heads yet they stepped up and became the heroes of the story. I really liked the way Waggoner wrote his characters; they all came across as fairly likable/relatable (even Gagnon had a very "human" moment when Brigette called Tamar by her first name and his ego was bruised because she never called him by his first name.) The novel was speckled with moments like that which creates a realistic portrayal of fellow humans who share the same emotional experiences that most (Non-fiction) folks have felt one time or another. And Zula's speech damn near inspired me to take on a xeno  :laugh:
[close]

SM

SM

Spoiler
My main problem with the team was they felt a bit thinly drawn, and they could've been fleshed out a bit.  Maybe even have Zula attracted to one of them (despite Zula possibly being a lesbian). I'll have to read the final version to see if any of that happened.
[close]

Xiggz456

Xiggz456

Spoiler
They probably could've been a bit more fleshed out but I got the impression that we got to know them about as well as Zula did which I was fine with. 
[close]

[cancerblack]

Acceptable Zula?

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: SM on Nov 05, 2019, 08:33:05 PM
Spoiler
My main problem with the team was they felt a bit thinly drawn, and they could've been fleshed out a bit.  Maybe even have Zula attracted to one of them (despite Zula possibly being a lesbian). I'll have to read the final version to see if any of that happened.
[close]

Yeah, that's what I mean about fleshing them further outside of the initial introductions. But I liked them in spite of that.

Quote from: [cancerblack] on Nov 06, 2019, 07:47:31 AM
Acceptable Zula?

Yeah, I think that'd work!

SM

SM

Spoiler
Even if the supporting characters didn't get much more characterisation, I still worked well enough.
[close]

Corporal Hicks

For sure. I never felt like it suffered for it.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed