Fox Announces Alien: Isolation Digital Series!

Started by Corporal Hicks, Feb 27, 2019, 05:44:31 PM

Author
Fox Announces Alien: Isolation Digital Series! (Read 79,339 times)

The Old One

The Old One

Play the game.

Local Trouble

I probably would if the gameplay itself didn't seem like such a slog.  The hiding and sneaking genre (or whatever it's called) isn't very appealing to me.

SiL

Quote from: Local Trouble on Mar 01, 2019, 06:43:48 AM
Ironically, what I've seen of this thing hasn't bothered me at all.
The cheap animation and really weird editing took me aback. I wasn't expecting much, but there are shots of Ripley walking where her feet are gliding on the floor between steps. In Episode 6 there's a section where she's torching an Alien one second, then she's meeting Marlow finally after an establishing shot outside? Really weird.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Quote from: SiL on Mar 01, 2019, 07:10:07 AMIn Episode 6 there's a section where she's torching an Alien one second, then she's meeting Marlow finally after an establishing shot outside? Really weird.

Are these issues not present in the game or do the gameplay sequences serve to connect them?

Those androids are creepy AF.  They remind me of Michael Myers.

TC

TC

Quote from: Local Trouble on Mar 01, 2019, 06:58:26 AM
I probably would if the gameplay itself didn't seem like such a slog.  The hiding and sneaking genre (or whatever it's called) isn't very appealing to me.

I liked the game but one of my criticisms is that it was too long. Fortunately this is solved in the DLCs (Crew Expendable and Last Survivor).

They recreate sequences from the Alien '79 movie, complete with some of the original actors reprising their roles. These are must plays for any Alien fan! And very intense too.

( It's also cool just to visit the engine room and initiate the self-destruct mechanism!  :)  )

TC

Wlvscrclwlvs

Although the effort to put content out is good the quality is so low it kinda ruins that effort for me.

I wanted to like it and as someone who tried playing the game but just couldn't get into it I wanted to see the rest of the story... Its just so minimal effort it's off putting, can't see any pride in the quality of work for this at all and that's just sad.

Axe

That's what you get when you are an Alien fan. Shit quality on shit content (at best).

My friends who are not into the story or are not die hard Alien fans are laughing out very loud at this. It is beyond embarasassing.

The Old One

The Old One

Untrue.
Three good films and Labyrinth, Salvation, Sacrifice.
Modern Alien? Dead Orbit, Dust To Dust, The Cold Forge and Alien Isolation's excellent.

The game's narrative is mediocre, elevated by good characters, but presented perfectly.
It's a suspense masterpiece.

Gutter In Outer Space

Wow.

Deep stuff. Really makes you think.

Gutter In Outer Space

Last sequence had some effort behind it, good original set piece moment. Always nice to hear Andrea Deck, as she's terrific. Writing for her monologue was just fine as well.

Really just a shame about everything to do with the in-game stuff. The original models/assets and space situation was surprisingly well done, but vastly outweighed by the woefully integrated and synced models and sloppy audio work.

If the people that worked on this are reading our comments however, I do want to say that despite our harsh criticism, I'm quite sure we all are aware of the likely minimal time you had to work on this, asset limitations, and likely most pressing of all, meager budget. This all comes down to a critique of Fox and their abysmal frugality, rather than the work of the artists behind the piece.

I understand if Fox doesn't consider the franchise financially viable after Alien: Covenant's box office failure, but then what's the point in all of this? They should know that the only thing that will sate fans and appeal to a wider audience would be an Isolation sequel, but god knows the time has passed for that (especially one from Creative Assembly), and they're most definitely not going to shell out money to produce that.

I'm basically just typing to comfort myself through the franchise-sized void I feel after watching that. Floatin' through space.

Wlvscrclwlvs

Oh fully agree we're being harsh and I don't doubt the guys who put this together probs had very little budget and time and would of liked to put more into it but from fox surely they knew this was below par and should of given it more time and money to really make an impact on fans and bring new fans in which I would guess was the main reason for this, but there you go I guess maybe fox will learn 🤔

Nukiemorph

Quote from: Oasis Nadrama on Feb 28, 2019, 07:41:51 PM
But the worst thing is

Spoiler
THE ABSENCE OF THE HIVE. WHAT THE f**k? WHAT THE EVERLASTING f**k?
[close]

The Hospital is understandable because in the end, it's just a "subquest". Even if it is magnificently tense, it is uninteresting plot-wise.

The Hive omission cannot be forgiven.

It's in the seventh episode...?  Doesn't spend much time there, but this series didn't spend much time anywhere.  Definitely needed more breathing room.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

So I thought Episode 7 was actually pretty sweet. I'd been really looking forward to this because I thought it sounded like a pretty cool idea! But over all, I'm not too impressed. I could not stand the lip-syncing in all the new footage - it was so distracting :(. The new Amanda model stuck out like a sore thumb too.

I'm afraid this was a miss for me. And that kills me since I always try to look on the bright side when it comes to our releases. As it stands 5/10. Gonna rewatch it again over the next day or so as we're recording an episode on this at the weekend. Will see if the opinion changes.

https://uk.ign.com/articles/2019/02/28/how-alien-isolation-digital-series-expands-amanda-ripleys-story-from-the-2014-game

QuoteFor a more in-depth look at how this project came to fruition, we went straight to the developers for answers: Kinga Smith from Reverse Engineering Studios (RES) and Fabian DuBois from DVgroup (DV). RES specializes in creating innovative content by using existing materials, while DV has plenty of experience adapting projects with the technical complexity this expansion on Isolation needed. Since both comapnies' staffs consist of huge Alien fans, this Isolation project was a match made in heaven.

Local Trouble

If those scenes were lifted wholesale from the game, shouldn't the lip syncing issues have been ironed out by the devs?

The frame rate is also lower that I'd expect to see on even a regular Xbox One, much less a high-end PC.

AlienDestroysPredator

I had low expectations and was still really disappointed. This whole thing is just way too cheap and lazy for me to appreciate. Fox seems to be dead set on giving the fans everything except what they actually want.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed