Fox Announces Alien: Isolation Digital Series!

Started by Corporal Hicks, Feb 27, 2019, 05:44:31 PM

Author
Fox Announces Alien: Isolation Digital Series! (Read 79,341 times)

Local Trouble

Now I'm intrigued.

GQSioux

So.... that extended ending.....

Spoiler
The Aliens floating on space debris. "They're in some kind of stasis... Hibernating." Thoughts? Were they dying? Alive?
[close]

I wish that was in the game.

Huggs

Quote from: GQSioux on Feb 28, 2019, 09:35:36 PM

Spoiler
The Aliens floating on space debris. "They're in some kind of stasis... Hibernating." Thoughts? Were they dying? Alive?
[close]

Cue the Big Chap being alive arguments.

newbeing

Started off promising enough, then yeah... those gameplay bits looked awful. The in game lipsync never looked that great in the first place, but you could mostly get over it when playing the game, but here it is front and center and looks awkward as hell. And Amanda yikes.

The beginning was the best part, as it was finally nice to see what happened to her after the first game, and mostly looks fine because we don't see Ripley's mouth move.

Either way I'll still watch these. Just wish there was more put into them.

OWLF

Quote from: GQSioux on Feb 28, 2019, 09:35:36 PM

Spoiler
[close]

I thought that was a pretty cool scene. Probably hibernating my guess but it's not quite clear. And that brief dream sequence at the beginning was cool. Very 2001 Space Odyssey inspired.

Stitch

Quote from: newbeing on Feb 28, 2019, 09:39:59 PM
The beginning was the best part, as it was finally nice to see what happened to her after the first game, and mostly looks fine because we don't see Ripley's mouth move.
I actually thought the intro was bad because you don't see her mouth move. It looks like they didn't animate it because it's covered, but she's still speaking, so it creates a disconnect. Because a lot of facial muscles move when you talk, if you don't animate it when the character is talking (even if you can't see their mouth) it looks off.

Ingwar

Quote from: Local Trouble on Feb 28, 2019, 07:46:10 PM
Can we officially #whinge now?

I started day ago ;D Officially

SM

Quote from: Stitch on Feb 28, 2019, 09:51:01 PM
I actually thought the intro was bad because you don't see her mouth move. It looks like they didn't animate it because it's covered, but she's still speaking, so it creates a disconnect. Because a lot of facial muscles move when you talk, if you don't animate it when the character is talking (even if you can't see their mouth) it looks off.

I originally thought they hadn't animated the mouth as it's hidden, but you can see the mouth moving in a few shots.

Ingwar

Ingwar

Just watched first episode and I realised I experienced déjà vu. How come? Ahh yes, that game I played year ago :)

Thank you Fox, Happy 40th anniversary! ;D

But seriously, this is beyond embarrassment. Epic fail at its best. Congratulations Fox.

Stitch

Quote from: SM on Feb 28, 2019, 10:42:59 PM
Quote from: Stitch on Feb 28, 2019, 09:51:01 PM

I originally thought they hadn't animated the mouth as it's hidden, but you can see the mouth moving in a few shots.
I think it's animated in some but not others. I was pleasantly surprised with the ending where the animation was significantly better, in my opinion.

Nightmare Asylum

I am three episodes in so far. Gotta say, I'm not really digging it. I love Isolation (and with it, of course, its cutscenes), but I was hoping that the "connective tissue" that they were going to animate to really tell the story in this format was going to be something a little more than just machinima with the in-game assets. I guess I was expecting it to match the level of polish of the original cutscenes themselves, what with the same animation team working on them. The lip-sync is essentially nonexistent and there isn't really anything cinematic about just pointing the in-game camera at figures standing upright and talking back and forth to one another, and the narration bridging the scenes is pretty clunky if I'm being honest.

Had they had more time and money to do this project properly, I would have been incredibly interested in seeing Isolation recreated from scratch as an animated film or miniseries or whatever with a consistent computer generated animation style. I guess in my gut that is kind of what I was hoping that this would be. The stuff with Amanda floating through space is probably the best of the "new" elements so far. At least the cinematography in those pieces are a bit more interesting than what they did for the in-game segments.

I really wanted to love this, and don't get me wrong, I do absolutely appreciate the effort that went into making it. But some of it is just... rough, unfortunately.

Samhain13

Quote from: Ingwar on Feb 28, 2019, 11:44:49 PM
But seriously, this is beyond embarrassment. Epic fail at its best. Congratulations Fox.

Its like they are not even trying at this point.

Local Trouble

Can we call this the assembly cut of Isolation?

Neocron

Neocron

Just finished watching all 7 episodes after getting home from work. Not a bad distillation of the game, to be honest. Most of the major story beats are there (notably missing is the horror-fest that is the jaunt through Medical as well as the spine-tingling tour of the hive below the Reactor)... but it's a good way for people who aren't gamers to experience the story of Amanda Ripley and her search for closure.

I also like that the ending is more concrete than the game... the game always left it wide open in regards to interpretation, specifically if Amanda was hallucinating at the very end or not. It's no replacement for the game, but I don't think that's the intention here. I think the intention is to bring Amanda Ripley front and center so that Fox can use her outside of the gamespace (i.e. a movie role). And that's ok by me!

I still want Alien: Isolation 2 though, darnit!!!!!

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed