Are you Vegan, Vegatarian or neither and what are the benefits/drawbacks?

Started by LastSurvivor92, Feb 18, 2019, 09:14:08 PM

Are you Vegan, Vegatarian or neither?

Vegan
Vagatarian
Neither
Author
Are you Vegan, Vegatarian or neither and what are the benefits/drawbacks? (Read 4,788 times)

SiL

I know plenty of people who took a very long time to realise plants are living organisms, and others who still don't. It's not actually uncommon to believe that they aren't actually alive.

He also said my point about milk was "invalid" because it was an excuse, and then justified that with a statement that is wholly incorrect. My point wasn't invalid -- whether it's cow's milk, cow muscle, or a plant's roots, few things produce something specifically for the consumption of another organism. His argument that "cows make milk for baby cows, not you, therefor don't consume dairy" is incredibly silly in the face of most things that are actually edible.

SM

QuoteHuman kind don't have to eat living organisms.

We generally make them dead first.

Ingwar

Quote from: SiL on Feb 20, 2019, 09:45:29 AM
Quote from: Ingwar on Feb 20, 2019, 09:20:40 AM
Human kind don't have to eat living organisms.
Of course they do. Everything has to eat living organisms.

Plants are living organisms.

Do not play semantic games with me. We do not have to eat animals. It's been proven. I do not eat them and I feel better than ever.

And please don't compare animals to plants as being living organisms. Animals feel pain. Apples I eat not necessary.

Quote from: SM on Feb 20, 2019, 10:33:02 AM
QuoteHuman kind don't have to eat living organisms.

Yes, which generally means you eat dead bodies. Carcass if you prefer.

SiL

Quote from: SM on Feb 20, 2019, 10:33:02 AM
Generally, but unfortunately, not always :-X

Quote from: Ingwar on Feb 20, 2019, 10:38:04 AM
Do not play semantic games with me.
It's really not semantics. Alive is alive.

QuoteWe do not have to eat animals. It's been proven.
Absolutely zero argument there.

QuoteAnd please don't compare animals to plants as being living organisms. Animals feel pain. Apples I eat not necessary.
The apple, no. The rest of the apple tree, less known. Plants have been studied responding to physical trauma through various means -- arguably a pain response, just not one humans are wired to empathise with.

Quotewhich generally means you eat dead bodies. Carcass if you prefer.
Like dead plants bodies!

SM

QuoteYes, which generally means you eat dead bodies. Carcass if you prefer.

Some more than others.

Ingwar

Ingwar

SiL please, do not compare animals which their sense of pain (they do feel pain) to plants. Come on :)

Quote from: SiL on Feb 20, 2019, 10:40:19 AM
QuoteWe do not have to eat animals. It's been proven.
Absolutely zero argument there.

Zero? Vegans are proof enough that we do not have to (I don't say we must not) eat animals.

SiL

Quote from: Ingwar on Feb 20, 2019, 10:55:20 AM
SiL please, do not compare animals which their sense of pain (they do feel pain) to plants. Come on :)
Please do not confuse your ability to empathise with something, with its ability to feel pain :)

QuoteZero? Vegans are proof enough that we do not have to (I don't say we must not) eat animals.
That's what I meant, sorry. I don't disagree with that statement; with modern agriculture and transport means, we do not have to eat meat.

LastSurvivor92

Huggs

Quote from: SM on Feb 20, 2019, 10:44:22 AM
QuoteYes, which generally means you eat dead bodies. Carcass if you prefer.

Some more than others.

We must all do our part.

The Old One

The Old One

Still Collating...

Yeah, I find it just a tad bit hypocritical to say we're hurting animals, but we don't empathize with the killing of plants. Life needs to die for us to live. Where we draw the line is up to us. Few species eat their own kind because evolution. Most people don't eat the animals we consider as pets. And some draw the line between between animals and plants. And that's okay IMO.
But, to play devil's advocate, if we go by what we consider as pain, as feeling pain from a biological point of view, I think I read once that oysters don't feel pain because they literally don't have pain receptive nerve cells. So we can say that for plants as well. They have reactive processes for when they're under attack, but they literally don't feel the same pain we do because they're not vertebrates with pain receptive cells. We can say it's no more wrong to kill a cow than it is to kill a tomato, but I don't believe IMO we can say that both of them feel actual pain in the same way, or even that a tomato can feel pain at all. We get to a debate about how do we define pain and so forth.

Just my opinion on the matter.

Huggs

I do think there is a difference between shooting a cow in the head , and throwing a live lobster into boiling water. It's entirely possible to be sadistic.

Oasis Nadrama

From the day I learned about the fact you can live healthily without eating meat, I started doubting my alimentary habits. Still, I had a lot of cognitive dissonance and "smart answers" which kept me in this kind of meaty diet. Hey, I really liked meat. I'd still like the taste, I'm sure. I was particularly into beef escalopes and chicken à la crème.
But after a short discussion with a vegan, I realized I was wrong and changed my ways. In 2014, I became vegetarian.

Then I learned more about the meat industry, and learned you just need to take some pills of B12 vitamins at a pretty casual rhythm, and to care a little about iron and proteins by eating the right vegetables, in order to go vegan. And I said goodbye to cheese. I loved cheese too, fondues and raclette. I'm French, so you can guess how much cheese went in my diet.

So now I'm vegan. I don't see particular benefits to it besides ethical consistency, which is a nice thing by itself.

Ingwar is right. We humans do not need to eat meat, so we shouldn't eat meat because meat is produced through the suffering and death of countless animals and the ecological impact of the useless meat industry is simply disastrous, unacceptable in these contemporary days of global warming.

AhabPredator

AhabPredator

Diet is pretty much pescaterian. I do eat some meat, but mainly chicken breast. I try to stay away from red meat on most occasions. If I do eat red meat, it's steak or venison jerky. Most of my protein comes from Whey protein powder and chicken breast though. I have pretty much an athletic/weight lifter diet.

I do need to get back into exercise routines and do crossfit again.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed