Are you Vegan, Vegatarian or neither and what are the benefits/drawbacks?

Started by LastSurvivor92, Feb 18, 2019, 09:14:08 PM

Are you Vegan, Vegatarian or neither?

Vegan
Vagatarian
Neither
Author
Are you Vegan, Vegatarian or neither and what are the benefits/drawbacks? (Read 4,877 times)

Samhain13

Well that escalated quickly.

The Old One

The Old One

I can't wait until we're just all eating the vat meat in the 01.

Huggs

Soylent Green is people!

The Old One

The Old One

???

Huggs

Quote from: The Old One on Feb 20, 2019, 12:17:58 AM
???

It's a movie reference. A Charleton Heston movie. In an apocalyptic world, people line up for Soylent Green. It turns out the food is made from dead people. He's dragged away at the end screaming "soylent green is people".

SiL

Quote from: Ingwar on Feb 19, 2019, 11:34:38 PM
But the data says that eating a lot (most people eat meat every day which is insane) of red and processed meat increases risk of cancer (like bowel cancer) and heart diseases.
The data says eating too much meat is bad, yes. It does not say that "any" meat is too much meat, however. There's no argument that there's excessive meat consumption in most Western diets, but that doesn't mean that eating meat in and of itself is unhealthy.

Dairy is only problematic if, again, consumed to excess or if you have conditions which preclude you from digesting it properly.

QuoteCow produces milk for a baby cow not for human beings.
You do realise most living organisms don't produce things for the benefit of something else's consumption, right? Are you just eating fruit and berries?

Born Of Cold Light

Not a vegan or vegetarian, but I really want to get more fruits and vegetables in my idea.  At the moment, I eat alot of rice, pasta and some seafood (mostly sardines and tuna).  My biggest downfall is butter, I tend to slather bread with it and need to stop, even if the butter I eat is salt-free.  Are there any good premade vegetable health drinks out there that can make up for this in any meaningful way?  The only kind I know about is V8.

Local Trouble

Quote from: The Old One on Feb 19, 2019, 11:59:18 PM
I can't wait until we're just all eating the vat meat in the 01.

What about grapefruit though?

The Old One

The Old One

:'(

Ingwar

Quote from: Local Trouble on Feb 19, 2019, 11:49:31 PM
Quote from: Ingwar on Feb 19, 2019, 11:34:38 PM
Cow produces milk for a baby cow not for human beings. Would you consume dog's or cat's milk? You're basically consuming milk (in different forms) from your non-biological mother. Why? :)

Are you suggesting that we should only eat human flesh?

I'm not suggesting anything. But if you want to eat human carcass then go for it :)

Local Trouble

Butter... Kramer... butter... Kramer...

Ingwar

Ingwar

Quote from: SiL on Feb 20, 2019, 12:29:03 AM
You do realise most living organisms don't produce things for the benefit of something else's consumption, right? Are you just eating fruit and berries?

I do realise that. And your point isn't valid because it's just an excuse. Human kind don't have to eat living organisms.

It took me few month to become vegetarian (I cut red meat first, then white and at the end fish). After two years I became vegan. It's not easy because what we eat is enforced onto us by our culture and family. Diet is like religion. It's hard to escape from it because we take it for granted. We thing it's the right thing to do without even thinking about it. I recommend Sapiens: A Brief History of Humankind by Harari who's vegan himself.

What do I eat? Tons of fruits and veg, porridge for breakfast, pasta, rice, couscous, mushrooms, tofu, bread and anything that doesn't come from animals. How many types of meat do we have? Just few like chicken, pork, turkey, beef and few more (I think is 7 or 8 altogether). How many non-meat food is available? Loads.

Quote from: Born Of Cold Light on Feb 20, 2019, 06:38:52 AM
Are there any good premade vegetable health drinks out there that can make up for this in any meaningful way?  The only kind I know about is V8.

Water is the best :) And if you're looking for veg health drinks then you should buy yourself juice/veg blender/extractor. Don't buy juices from the shop. They contain so much shit that you wouldn't believe.

Local Trouble

SiL

Quote from: Ingwar on Feb 20, 2019, 09:20:40 AM
Human kind don't have to eat living organisms.
Of course they do. Everything has to eat living organisms.

Plants are living organisms.

They're not inanimate objects, or rocks. They're alive -- an alien life to us, but still very much alive. They have cells, they eat, they drink, they breathe, they adapt, they respond to their surroundings, they evolve, they have DNA organised by chromosomes. Many respond to being attacked by animals, either by producing defensive measures or alerting nearby plants.

Unless you're sitting by waiting for a fruit to drop off a tree, you have caused harm to a living organism in order to feed yourself. It's an inescapable fact of life.

The Kurgan

Quote from: SiL on Feb 20, 2019, 09:45:29 AM
Quote from: Ingwar on Feb 20, 2019, 09:20:40 AM
Human kind don't have to eat living organisms.
Of course they do. Everything has to eat living organisms.

Plants are living organisms.

They're not inanimate objects, or rocks. They're alive -- an alien life to us, but still very much alive. They have cells, they eat, they drink, they breathe, they adapt, they respond to their surroundings, they evolve, they have DNA organised by chromosomes. Many respond to being attacked by animals, either by producing defensive measures or alerting nearby plants.

Unless you're sitting by waiting for a fruit to drop off a tree, you have caused harm to a living organism in order to feed yourself. It's an inescapable fact of life.

Come on, you know what he meant.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed