Would you feel better if Newt and Hicks survived?

Started by Kradan, Feb 10, 2019, 08:15:19 AM

Would you feel better about this?

Yes
33 (45.8%)
No
39 (54.2%)

Total Members Voted: 72

Author
Would you feel better if Newt and Hicks survived? (Read 32,143 times)

JokersWarPig

One could even argue that the acting in ACM is better than A3

Kradan

Here's another thought has came into my mind today. What if instead of Bishop II in the end of Alien 3 Hicks would appear? Would you like him to have red or milky blood?

The Kurgan

Quote from: JokersWarPig on Feb 15, 2019, 01:30:46 PM
One could even argue that the acting in ACM is better than A3

Now you are just beeing hurtful  :D

Huggs

It's like saying Jeff Beck is superior to Mozart .

PsyKore

I don't really have a problem with their deaths. Hicks could've probably gone out fighting or some such to lessen the suddenness of it and placate audiences, but at the same time it suits the merciless, apathetic nature of the Alien universe.

When I think about it, though, I'm not sure what keeping them alive would actually add. I mean, they weren't very deep characters to begin with. To me, their arcs had finished, and if anything, Alien 3 just cuts to the chase and gets on with Ripley's story.

Rankles75

Quote from: PsyKore on Feb 16, 2019, 07:21:31 AM
I don't really have a problem with their deaths. Hicks could've probably gone out fighting or some such to lessen the suddenness of it and placate audiences, but at the same time it suits the merciless, apathetic nature of the Alien universe.

When I think about it, though, I'm not sure what keeping them alive would actually add. I mean, they weren't very deep characters to begin with. To me, their arcs had finished, and if anything, Alien 3 just cuts to the chase and gets on with Ripley's story.

There were plenty of possible storylines for them imo (without just rehashing Aliens), as well as better and more satisfying ways to write them out.

ChaosIncarnare

I don't mind Newt's death. It fit the story imo. Hicks on the other hand should have died later on, maybe sacrificing himself to lure the alien into the holding tank, or taking either Dillon or 85's deaths. At the same time, I like how those characters went out, so I'm not sure id want to mess with that.

BishopShouldGo

I would feel better. Hicks and Newt were great characters, and I get sad every time I see the funeral scene. It's great filmmaking though.

Gash

One of the major pluses of the film IMHO. Sets the grim tone and wrestled it back from the too cosy Hollywood ending. Plus, I have to say I felt more emotionally immersed in impact of Newt's character here because of the loss that Ripley felt. Great funeral scene, great music there too.

Kradan

Quote from: Gash on Feb 18, 2019, 10:01:40 AM
One of the major pluses of the film IMHO. Sets the grim tone and wrestled it back from the too cosy Hollywood ending. Plus, I have to say I felt more emotionally immersed in impact of Newt's character here because of the loss that Ripley felt. Great funeral scene, great music there too.

Agreed

Shinawi

The survivors of Aliens were the reasons why I looked forward to the sequel. The fact that I didn't even get to see Newt and Hicks talk was a major letdown to me.

Huggs

Quote from: Shinawi on Feb 20, 2019, 02:12:38 AM
The survivors of Aliens were the reasons why I looked forward to the sequel. The fact that I didn't even get to see Newt and Hicks talk was a major letdown to me.

Her last word was clearly visible.

Shinawi

Quote from: Huggs on Feb 20, 2019, 02:14:53 AM
Quote from: Shinawi on Feb 20, 2019, 02:12:38 AM

Her last word was clearly visible.

I mean, I wanted to see how they'd act in the prison.

bb-15

Quote from: The Old One on Feb 12, 2019, 11:45:46 AM
I doubt it, JC's last film was in 2009 and was derviative spectacle most don't have any nostalgia for, to my knowledge it has no fanbase. Then he endorsed Terminator Genesis, released a f**ked up Judgment Day 4K, the 3D release was a commercial failure and Alita Battle Angel isn't looking too good at the moment. I don't have much faith and he's working on Avatar apparently, so I doubt he cares about much else in all honesty right now.

Neill Blomkamp's doing other things, RoboCop, Oats, Anthem.

Things do look bleak for another Alien film and I'm not claiming that you or anyone else would like a new Cameron produced/scripted Alien movie.
I was looking at the best chance for a new Alien film to be made with the limits of Disney being in charge.

JC has the power in the industry to get this done.
Cameron also has the interest because he had another sequel planned while shooting "Aliens". He told this to the actors at the time.

Quote"I know that James Cameron had planned to have Hicks, Ripley and me in Alien 3, to have a family-type thing," Newt actress Carrie Henn said in 1995...

Sigourney Weaver, whose presence in the franchise was almost as pivotal as the title monster, wasn't enthusiastic about doing a third film...
https://www.denofgeek.com/us/movies/alien/242677/the-alien-3-story-ideas-that-didnt-make-it-to-the-screen

Cameron's idea for an "Aliens" sequel is also in the "Alien 3" Blu-ray extras (as well as Weaver's objection to what Cameron was considering);
See "Wrecking and Rage: Making Alien 3" / "Development Hell: Concluding the story" / 6m 15s.

Weaver's opposition is no longer an issue. Her career has wound down & she wants to work.
* Good or bad JC could make this sequel happen.

;)

LastSurvivor92

LastSurvivor92

Honestly if you watch the Special Edition of Alien 3 nine times out of ten you'll like it just as much as the first two. Was it a slap in the face killing off Newt and Hicks? Sure it was. Did it really matter in the long run? Not really. Most people say that they like the feeling of hopelessness and dread Fincher was able to create along the studio interference that ran within. I think Alien 3 (Special Edition) wraps up the original character of Ripley's story nicely and give's her stories end kind of a daring and "into the fire" type of vibe.

It's all in how you look at it. Did you want the family dynamic to continue which would of equaled more sequels or did they do the right thing in the end by bringing finality to everything? I think the latter for sure.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed