Started by Kradan, Feb 05, 2019, 10:28:12 PM

What is better?

The Predator
72 (55%)
AVPR
59 (45%)

Total Members Voted: 131

Author
The Predator VS AVPR (Read 54,201 times)

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Fiendishly Inventive on Jan 14, 2020, 08:41:17 AM
Yes, and yet he's still got enough taste, to see it's real place in the rankings.

You need taste to align with the popular opinion? 

The overall popular opinion with critics and audiences has Prometheus over Convenant, but you informed me just yesterday:

Quote from: Fiendishly Inventive on Jan 13, 2020, 10:36:16 PM
Let me know the next time the popular opinion is the correct one.

The Old One

The Old One

It's nothing to do with popularity, just good taste, yes Requiem is the most unpopular of the entire series, but popularity's got no bearing on quality it just also happens to be trash. Covenant isn't as popular as Prometheus, but is superior. My point is that aggregate scoring genuinely representing quality is usually only ever a coincidence. And apart from the fact Prometheus is the one unsure of what it is and therefore requires switching places with Covenant, I nearly wholeheartedly agree with this: https://collider.com/alien-movies-ranked/

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

I probably prefer Covenant over Prometheus, even though Prometheus easily had the potential to be the better of the two.

The Old One

The Old One

Yes, it certainly did, pity.

Kradan

Kradan

Quote from: TheSailingRabbit on Jan 14, 2020, 01:10:28 AM
Quote from: Kradan on Jan 13, 2020, 10:19:35 PM
I can enjoy Resurrection but will put first AvP above it, The Predator on the same exact level with it and AvPR wayyyyy beneath it.

I thought you liked The Predator.

I still do. I just stick to "The Predator is Resurrection of Predator franchise. " opinion.

50percentJoe

50percentJoe

I guess really it all boils down to expectations for me. The Predator left a more lingering since of disappointment, and honestly managed to have far worse scenes for me in terms of low points. AvPR I went into it already disliking the first one, and was pleasantly surprised with a stupid, over the top, gory mess. Neither is good, but ultimately Wolf and Chet were less offensive to my palette than wasting an opportunity to do a really direct sequel to Predator 2.

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: 50percentJoe on Jan 14, 2020, 11:01:11 PM
I guess really it all boils down to expectations for me. The Predator left a more lingering since of disappointment, and honestly managed to have far worse scenes for me in terms of low points. AvPR I went into it already disliking the first one, and was pleasantly surprised with a stupid, over the top, gory mess. Neither is good, but ultimately Wolf and Chet were less offensive to my palette than wasting an opportunity to do a really direct sequel to Predator 2.

A point that stings!  :-\

Kradan

Kradan

Pffft, With such attitude P2 is wasted opportunity to do direct sequel to Predator. WITH ARNOLD, GODDANIT !

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Kradan on Jan 15, 2020, 06:42:45 AM
Pffft, With such attitude P2 is wasted opportunity to do direct sequel to Predator. WITH ARNOLD, GODDANIT !

That's what was the prevailing thought back then. In 1990-1991 Arnold was the biggest box-office star in the world. It was like having a Die Hard movie without Bruce Willis. Or a Speed movie without Keanu Reeves.... oh wait... ;)

50percentJoe

50percentJoe

Predator 2 was middling on reception, but it still did a lot of things right. We saw a Predator doing his thing, a cool design with a bunch of new Predator tech, Danny Glover honestly made a likable protagonist, and Gary Busey's role was a rewrite of what was intended for Arnold. I really do ponder what the movie would have been like had we gotten Arnie as an Ahab to the Predator in the sequel. We also got the lore expansions with the ship, the establishment of how long they've been hunting on earth for sport, etc.

Predator 2 isn't as good as the first sure, but it does a ton right despite its flaws. The Predator on the other hand feels like it wanders aimlessly only to go, "I bet they hunt for aspergers and are planning an invasion force." Which never really fit much of any of the Predator lore to me.

SM

SM

I didn't really have an issue with the lore or motives in The Predator.  It was just presented in a really clunky manner.

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: 50percentJoe on Jan 15, 2020, 10:39:21 PM
Predator 2 was middling on reception, but it still did a lot of things right. We saw a Predator doing his thing, a cool design with a bunch of new Predator tech, Danny Glover honestly made a likable protagonist, and Gary Busey's role was a rewrite of what was intended for Arnold.

That factoid remains unverified:

https://www.avpgalaxy.net/forum/index.php?topic=62786.0

QuoteI really do ponder what the movie would have been like had we gotten Arnie as an Ahab to the Predator in the sequel. We also got the lore expansions with the ship, the establishment of how long they've been hunting on earth for sport, etc.

I am ecstatic that Arnold didn't come back and hurl the Predator franchise into the trappings of being a Schwarzenegger franchise much like Terminator, or Alien with Sigourney Weaver, where studios would later feel these actors are still needed to be successful. (Thank goodness the Alien prequels broke that habit.) 

No reoccurring characters in a Predator franchise where the intergalactic alien hunters are the star in standalone films? Yes, please and thank you!

QuotePredator 2 isn't as good as the first sure, but it does a ton right despite its flaws. The Predator on the other hand feels like it wanders aimlessly only to go, "I bet they hunt for aspergers and are planning an invasion force." Which never really fit much of any of the Predator lore to me.

To me Predator 2 is equal to Predator. Where new found appreciation is starting to rear its head for P2 with many nowadays, the old criticisms I still don't personally understand to this day.

https://www.avpgalaxy.net/forum/index.php?topic=60943.0

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Quote from: 50percentJoe on Jan 15, 2020, 10:39:21 PMThe Predator on the other hand feels like it wanders aimlessly only to go, "I bet they hunt for aspergers and are planning an invasion force."

If the novelisation's anything to go by, the invasion sub-plot was something else added in by the studio reshoots.

The Old One

The Old One

I wish we got a genuine Predator 3 myself, following on from the ending of Predator 2.

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

So. Much. Agreed.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed