That "Arnold as Agent Keyes" Predator 2 Factoid...

Started by Voodoo Magic, Sep 27, 2019, 10:55:51 PM

Author
That "Arnold as Agent Keyes" Predator 2 Factoid... (Read 2,664 times)

Voodoo Magic

Does anyone know the genesis of the "Arnold Schwarzenegger originally was going to play Agent Keyes" Predator 2 rumor?

Why I ask is I just read an old online article and saw it mentioned as trivia for the 100th time, but I have never quite understood where that "factoid" came from. Maybe it's all being pulled from a wiki, but I've always wondered what's the source?  Because to my memory the Thomas brothers said the Harrigan role was always meant for Dutch with obviously some aspects changed, not the top secret working for the government Keyes role. Keyes would have still existed alongside Dutch.

Samhain13

Samhain13

Heck I first heard about this so many years ago on these forums. From what I remember the role was rewritten to what become of Keyes. They didn't just switched the name, so from what I understood Dutch wouldn't have been exactly what Keyes was in the movie, but he would be working for the goverment. You can try searching about the subject on here, maybe an old thread have some source.

I also heard Dutch was originally planned to be the main character on P2 so in that case the role would have been rewritten to become Harrigan.

SuperiorIronman

I googled it and came across people suggesting he was going to use tech (presumably from the first movie) to fight a Predator in the sequel but I honestly can't cite a source for it.

I assume the role was meant for Dutch but upon the pay dispute he got rewritten into what would become Peter Keyes.

Voodoo Magic

Wanting Arnold to star in Predator 2, that's definitely true, and there are multiple interviews that support that. I just have never witnessed anything personally to suggest Keyes would have been Arnold's part, or resembled his part, just to the contrary. So I'm wondering if its even true...

From the Predator 2 commentary:
Jim Thomas: "The Gary Busey character was always somebody that we envisioned as being, you know, that part of the government that knows something that no one else knows about in his investigating. Danny's character was always the part we had envisioned for Arnold."

Corporal Hicks

That's a pretty interesting question and I've always thought it was odd that Dutch = Keyes. Have you checked the P2 making-of?

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Sep 30, 2019, 08:02:57 AM
That's a pretty interesting question and I've always thought it was odd that Dutch = Keyes. Have you checked the P2 making-of?

Indeed. You think after all the bullsh*t the CIA put his team through, Dutch wouldn't trust the government let alone join them. The CIA even can be indirectly blamed for his team's death.

Yep, I covered the docs. Nothing there. Going through the magazines now. Then I have to revisit Stephen Hopkins commentary. I'm pretty certain Stephen mentioned they briefly thought of having Dutch and Harrigan in the same movie but I'm also pretty certain it was never mentioned Dutch was going to be in a governmental Keyes role. I'll double check to be sure though.

Whiskeybrewer

Ive always thought that in an early version that Dutch would be in a Keyes type role. Not as Keyes per se but he'd be leading a unit hunting The Predators

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Whiskeybrewer on Oct 01, 2019, 12:20:36 PM
Ive always thought that in an early version that Dutch would be in a Keyes type role. Not as Keyes per se but he'd be leading a unit hunting The Predators

In the 1980s, the government guys were pretty much always the bad guys, so I don't know. Plus we can hear Jim Thomas in his own words say "Danny's character was always the part we had envisioned for Arnold." Keyword=Always. That's why I'm trying to nail down some kind of source.

How Dutch in Danny's role have been? I don't know.  Could Dutch have left the military gig entirely? Yeah, I can definitely see that. Would Dutch have become a cop? I don't know, maybe, sure. It could be a natural progression. While others just see gruesome gang killings, would Dutch have flashbacks and see the killings and this new player in town for what they really are, but no one believes him? Yeah, maybe. Then Keyes and the government come in revealing the new Predator found the helmet and guantlet in Val Verde and is now also after Dutch, challenged with the first human to kill a Predator? Yeah...  I can see something like that.

Voodoo Magic

This rumor is finally debunked!

I think this all started by someone hearing Stephen Hopkins mention in the Predator 2 commentary that they originally planned on Dutch and Harrigan both being in the sequel and incorrectly extrapolated from that. Glad Stephen Hopkins finally squashed it!  :)

Mr.Turok

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Jan 09, 2021, 07:29:38 PM

I think this all started by someone hearing Stephen Hopkins mention in the Predator 2 commentary that they originally planned on Dutch and Harrigan both being in the sequel and incorrectly extrapolated from that. Glad Stephen Hopkins finally squashed it!  :)

Detective Magic booked the case as SOLVED!

Man I just hope I can see those two working together in some form of media one day. Be it a comic, upcoming Predator Hunting Grounds DLC, or something.

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Mr.Turok on Jan 13, 2021, 10:45:10 PM
Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Jan 09, 2021, 07:29:38 PM

Detective Magic booked the case as SOLVED!

Man I just hope I can see those two working together in some form of media one day. Be it a comic, upcoming Predator Hunting Grounds DLC, or something.

Predator Hunting Grounds? Yes please!!!

But agreed. Either in a comic or novel? That would be fantastic. To finally get that "Predator 3" story we've been dreaming of for years. That  team-up! (I suspect most fans wouldn't like the direction I took it in my comic though...  :D)

Mr.Turok

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Jan 14, 2021, 03:39:27 PM
Predator Hunting Grounds? Yes please!!!

But agreed. Either in a comic or novel? That would be fantastic. To finally get that "Predator 3" story we've been dreaming of for years. That  team-up! (I suspect most fans wouldn't like the direction I took it in my comic though...  :D)

I think I never got the chance to say that your Harrigan build is so close to his likeness! I would love for his DLC to come with not only a captured Smart Disk but also a modern/upgraded version of the shotgun he uses throughout the movie. Secondary weapons need special DLC too

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Mr.Turok on Jan 15, 2021, 12:18:35 AM
I think I never got the chance to say that your Harrigan build is so close to his likeness! I would love for his DLC to come with not only a captured Smart Disk but also a modern/upgraded version of the shotgun he uses throughout the movie. Secondary weapons need special DLC too

Thanks brother! Just tried my best with the options available. A smart disc melee weapon would be a must, plus an upgraded shotgun would also be awesome! I'm not sure how many more upgrades his secondary. 357 Magnum can take though! They'd have to give him special bullets.  ;D

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed