Started by Kradan, Feb 05, 2019, 10:28:12 PM

What is better?

The Predator
72 (55%)
AVPR
59 (45%)

Total Members Voted: 131

Author
The Predator VS AVPR (Read 54,190 times)

Alien³

Alien³

I voted AVPR.

They're both unwatchable garbage, but if I had to watch one, it would be the one that is too dark to see and shorter in runtime.

The Cruentus

The Cruentus

The fight between Wolf and Chet was far from solid, it was silly. Firstly, we have what is essentially animal just deciding to wait patiently while Wolf slowly removes his mask. Then the fight itself is just full of ultra close ups.
Wolf may have had a cool design but he was incompetent, not only was he incapable of doing his job, he actively made the situation worse multiple times.

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Jan 10, 2020, 10:13:54 AM
That is certainly true. Quality of actors was well above AvPR too.

Quality of actors? Certainly. With Sterling K. Brown and Thomas Jane, they've upgraded the marquee from C-List to B-List. But quality of acting? No way. From Nebraska's unconvincing suicide reveal, to Coyle and Baxley killing each other, to woefully delivered lines like "You shove me again, I'm going to break your neck. Did I say that out loud?", in regards to acting performances and believability I'll take AvPR over the aardvark movie everytime.

Quote from: 50percentJoe on Jan 10, 2020, 11:51:57 AM
I think both are mindless and on the lower end when it comes to Predator movies, but I'd still say I just had more fun with AVPR. Even if it boils down to just getting to see a predator cleaning up a predator mess. Hell, the final fight between Wolf and Predalien is really solid, and I love how it ends in a stale mate as a nuke drops in a background. AVPR is more a bad movie with glimmering fun bits for me, where as The Predator felt more like a slog the whole way through.

Also, I mean really, how can I argue with a predator that has Harvey Keitel as a namesake?

Right on!  I still have fun watching AvPR as a mindless popcorn monster invasion movie.  And luckily I have the right combination of equipment to watch the unrated blu and not struggle to see what's going on.

#TeamAVPR

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Jan 10, 2020, 12:56:41 PM
Quality of actors? Certainly. With Sterling K. Brown and Thomas Jane, they've upgraded the marquee from C-List to B-List. But quality of acting? No way. From Nebraska's unconvincing suicide reveal, to Coyle and Baxley killing each other, to woefully delivered lines like "You shove me again, I'm going to break your neck. Did I say that out loud?", in regards to acting performances and believability I'll take AvPR over the aardvark movie everytime.

The bolded isn't an acting issue. That's on the editing. But I do disagree with you. The actors were better - I wouldn't even call AvPR's c-listers to be honest. I enjoyed the acting in TP far more than I did on AvPR.

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Jan 10, 2020, 01:09:52 PM
Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Jan 10, 2020, 12:56:41 PM

The bolded isn't an acting issue. That's on the editing. But I do disagree with you. The actors were better - I wouldn't even call AvPR's c-listers to be honest. I enjoyed the acting in TP far more than I did on AvPR.

A,B,C,D List doesn't guage with me here because it doesn't equate to acting abilities, just above-the-title, bankable, name recognition factoring.  But as a whole, to me, the AvPR performances were better. That's where we differ.  :)

Of course, it's important to remember we are not comparing apples & oranges here, but moldy apples & oranges! :laugh:

The Cruentus

The Cruentus

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Jan 10, 2020, 01:37:06 PM
A,B,C,D List doesn't guage with me here because it doesn't equate to acting abilities, just above-the-title, bankable, name recognition factoring.  But as a whole, to me, the AvPR performances were better. That's where we differ.  :)

Of course, it's important to remember we are not comparing apples & oranges here, but moldy apples & oranges! :laugh:

The government doesn't lie to people.
Shut up Dale, you're too stupid to talk.
People are dying, we need guns.

Yes, brilliant performances. :P  :laugh:

Though in fairness, the script is probably more at fault there.

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: The Cruentus on Jan 10, 2020, 01:48:16 PM
Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Jan 10, 2020, 01:37:06 PM

The government doesn't lie to people.
People are dying, we need guns.

Yes, brilliant performances. :P  :laugh:

Who said brilliant?  Moldy apples & oranges.

QuoteThough in fairness, the script is probably more at fault there.

Yeah, plenty of poorly written lines aplenty, but the actors really went all in with them to the best of their ability imo.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

That's one I love.  :P I often find myself thinking about that line during the day.

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Jan 10, 2020, 01:59:16 PM

That's one I love.  :P I often find myself thinking about that line during the day.

:D

Shut up [insert name here], you're too stupid to talk.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Quote from: 50percentJoe on Jan 10, 2020, 11:51:57 AMAlso, I mean really, how can I argue with a predator that has Harvey Keitel as a namesake?

Because said Predator's a moron who completely fails at his sole objective and is only "badass" because every time he fights an Alien it conveniently forgets it has claws, tails and jaws with which it could attack him while he stands there striking a pose?

Samhain13

Samhain13

If Wolf didn't fail the movie would have ended in the sewers.

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

Plus the old-timer was blind in one-eye!  Give 'em a break!

50percentJoe

50percentJoe

The Predator definitely has the better and more notable cast, but I feel it set my expectations too high for that in that I expected a more charismatic cast. Where AVPR the only person I recognized was Rickety Cricket, and that sets the bar for what I expect a lot lower in terms of memorable characters.

SM

SM

Quote from: The Cruentus on Jan 10, 2020, 12:22:12 PM
The fight between Wolf and Chet was far from solid, it was silly. Firstly, we have what is essentially animal just deciding to wait patiently while Wolf slowly removes his mask. Then the fight itself is just full of ultra close ups.
Wolf may have had a cool design but he was incompetent, not only was he incapable of doing his job, he actively made the situation worse multiple times.

The other thing with the final fight is that it's barely two minutes of screen time - including Wolf disarming himself.  We finally see a Predator go toe-to-toe with a PredAlien (may its name be forever cursed) and a quarter of the fight is the Predator taking his clothes off while his opponent just stands there and watches.

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: 50percentJoe on Jan 10, 2020, 10:45:43 PM
The Predator definitely has the better and more notable cast, but I feel it set my expectations too high for that in that I expected a more charismatic cast. Where AVPR the only person I recognized was Rickety Cricket, and that sets the bar for what I expect a lot lower in terms of memorable characters.

I thought Johnny Lewis as Ricky did a good job. It's my favorite performance of the film.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed