I thought removing the wrist bracelet(gauntlet) kills the Predator

Started by germanator2, Jun 27, 2018, 02:06:27 AM

Author
I thought removing the wrist bracelet(gauntlet) kills the Predator (Read 5,788 times)

OpenMaw

Nah. That's too simplistic. Just look at Greyback. Just look at him.

There's a superstitious quality to him. The way he holds onto his necklace. The way he stops, turns, considers. There's so much going on, inferred to be going on.

Huggs

Quote from: OpenMaw on Jun 30, 2018, 04:05:44 AM

There's a superstitious quality to him. The way he holds onto his necklace. The way he stops, turns, considers. There's so much going on, inferred to be going on.

Perhaps he just stepped in something, and was wondering what to do about it? It could be embarrassing, stepping in something gnarly right in front of your chosen prey. I guess the pistol was his version of hush-money.

We may never know how many tales were told of greyback stepping in boar sharts at the conclusion of the ooman triumph in the great city.

OpenMaw

Quote from: Huggs on Jun 30, 2018, 04:20:23 AM
Quote from: OpenMaw on Jun 30, 2018, 04:05:44 AM

Perhaps he just stepped in something, and was wondering what to do about it? It could be embarrassing, stepping in something gnarly right in front of your chosen prey. I guess the pistol was his version of hush-money.

We may never know how many tales were told of greyback stepping in boar sharts at the conclusion of the ooman triumph in the great city.

To be fair, City Hunter guts were probably making the floor sticky.

Wysps

Quote from: Samhain13 on Jun 30, 2018, 03:16:56 AM
Quote from: Wysps on Jun 30, 2018, 02:44:23 AM
What does this actually "do" for them?

The same that killing does to a serial killer.

Yeah, I don't get the whole antisocial, serial killer vibe from the Predators. Especially since the hunt is a collective act in which their whole society partakes, even though they go about it as individuals.  I do get something primitive and animalistic, leftover from their "eat or be eaten" days. But what part of their evolution would have kept that basic instinct so alive and rooted in their society.  I mean, I guess it could just be for the "ha ha"s :-\

OpenMaw

"It kills for pleasure." As the trailer said.

My feelings on that were always, much like with the Alien, wherever they came from was tremendously hostile and that their social intelligence and their physical strength were pushed to extremes to survive. Their species probably suffered some hefty cullings that kept only the strongest, fastest, and most tenacious and cunning alive.

As their species would have evolved socially, and the advances of technology would come into play, you'd have a chunk of the species anchor themselves to their roots, basically. Tribalism, and survival. Honoring, paying pilgrimage to, their history.

Wysps

Personally, I'd like to know what that pleasure exactly is - what sense does it fulfill. Idk, maybe it is the same need or feeling that is fulfilled when humans hunt. There's mystery in thinking it could be something else entirely. Like a different feeling or sensation altogether.

I can imagine their evolutionary environment being so incredibly hostile, pushing their physical evolution and adaptation to the limits. You can tell just by looking at them! The social part, however - they're not pack animals. They prefer solitude to company. I wouldn't be surprised if they only interacted with the opposite sex when mating (that'd be unfortunate!) So their affinity for the hunt would seem to be rooted in biology and the Id - or whatever it's referred to as nowadays - rather than a creation of society, even though it's something they all partake in and has become a societal construct.

skull-splitter

Does it have to have a purpose beyond simply having a trophy?

BigDaddyJohn

The thrill of the hunt, and the pride they get out of it seems enough IMO, but maybe they can have other more personal feelings/motivations as individuals depending on what context they're hunting in.

Wysps

Quote from: skull-splitter on Jun 30, 2018, 02:46:51 PM

Quote from: BigDaddyJohn on Jun 30, 2018, 02:52:15 PM
The thrill of the hunt, and the pride they get out of it seems enough IMO, but maybe they can have other more personal feelings/motivations as individuals depending on what context they're hunting in.

But why. Whyyy. What is the meaning of it all *shakes fists*

I suppose in the grand scheme of things, having a sick kill and a cool trophy is motivation enough. I reckon I may be trying to dig deeper than where I was meant to go.

BigDaddyJohn

Quote from: Wysps on Jun 30, 2018, 03:42:37 PM
Quote from: skull-splitter on Jun 30, 2018, 02:46:51 PM

Quote from: BigDaddyJohn on Jun 30, 2018, 02:52:15 PM

But why. Whyyy. What is the meaning of it all *shakes fists*

I suppose in the grand scheme of things, having a sick kill and a cool trophy is motivation enough. I reckon I may be trying to dig deeper than where I was meant to go.

Maybe for them it refers to older beliefs/gods they worshipped, and that they try to maintain alive this way. Older ways that shaped their actual society, hunting and fighting for survival initially, and as their world thrived, that evolved from a need to a sport tradition that showed greatness.

Huggs

Huggs

I don't think there's anything deep about it. They do what they want because it makes them feel good. They're like humans without the self control and moral standards. Human life holds no value to them, but the thrill of the hunt does. The stalking, the chase, the bloodlust, the fighting, the bragging rights. I expect it's no different than people are when playing videogames to some extent. Satisfying a natural impulse for competition and/or combat. To overcome, and to dominate. It's just that Predators prefer the real thing.

There is an intelligence there, but they're still a highly impulsive species. They do what they want, simply because they can. They're warriors, what they want is to eat, drink, fight and make the sexy.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed