Work on the Sequels Stopped?

Started by Corporal Hicks, Jul 18, 2017, 11:49:17 AM

Author
Work on the Sequels Stopped? (Read 152,238 times)

tleilaxu

tleilaxu

Quote from: Paranoid Android on Jul 27, 2017, 11:13:38 PM
Space Jockey is fossilized because there's no data to contradict it.
wew lad

Paranoid Android

Quote from: tleilaxu on Jul 27, 2017, 11:15:34 PM
Space Jockey is fossilized because there's no data to contradict it.
wew lad
Yeah, I thought about it a little, and perhaps being fossilized per se is a stretch. I'll admit that much.

SM

SM

Quote from: SM on Jul 27, 2017, 11:04:10 PM
It's similar but not the same. Derelict is U-shaped and smaller than the Juggernaut.
This:

Is the same as this:

Quote from: SM on Jul 27, 2017, 11:04:10 PM
Mural might be an Alien, or it might be a Deacon.

Jockey might be fossilised, or it might not.
The mural might be an Alien or it might be a general template, if a sensible argument can be built around that idea. It can't be a Deacon.

QuoteThere's too many unknowns to be definitive.

And the ships are not the same.  I've pointed out how, but since you appear to have a penchant for either avoidance or ignoring, I expect this too will continue to fall on deaf ears.

Highland

Highland

The way I rationalise everything is that is doesn't matter what the process is, the end result is always the same. If it's goo, if it's eggs, if it's huggers or Krakens the end result is always a dome headed creature formed from the body of a host.

Fifield further confirms this since he looked to be mutating into one of these morphs. The Engineers have to have seen many forms of creatures that share similar blue prints which would explain the mural.

David just made his flavour taste different.

SM

SM

Riddles suggests that Fifield's head would eventually explode like the Engineer head did.

windebieste

windebieste

Quote from: Paranoid Android on Jul 27, 2017, 10:49:03 PM
Quote from: windebieste on Jul 27, 2017, 10:46:58 PM
Quote from: Paranoid Android on Jul 27, 2017, 10:38:38 PMthe fossilized space jockey in Alien, implying the ship being stuck on LV-426 for thousands of years, which also worked well with Prometheus

You don't know that.  You don't know the age of the Space Jockey.  Dallas didn't know it, either.  The Jockey is most likely mummified - a process that can take as little as a couple of months.  The Jockey could easily be just a decade old.

'Fossilised', you say?  in order for something to be fossilised it needs to be buried for it to turn to stone.  Buried.  At no time whatsoever has the derelict been buried. 

So the whole debate surrounding the age of the SJ is open.  Very open. 

-Windebieste.
Not really. The ship is the same model as seen in Prometheus, and that installation is at least 2000 years old according to carbon data.

Yet we've witnessed 2 instances, the Juggernaut and the Dreadnought, since then where these ships have flown.

...and crashed.

The possibility of the Derelict being a decade or so old is as possible as it being 2000 years old at this point.  There are no at least 3 Derelict ships in the 'ALIEN' Universe.  As for the one appearing in 'ALIEN', we still don't know if it was crashed - or landed there, deliberately.  Which opens up all kinds of speculation.  Including, the Warning is Bait.

Which does make me think, any transmission needs a power source.  The chances of it still being functional after 2000 years is kinda slim compared to something much more recent.

-Windebieste

Highland

Highland

Quote from: SM on Jul 28, 2017, 12:48:01 AM
Riddles suggests that Fifield's head would eventually explode like the Engineer head did.

Well I supposed it depends the dosage then.

Something had to have burst out the pile of the Engineers with holes in their chest and ran about killing them all since that's established as a fact in the movie. I think also three of the four Engineer pods have holes in them right ( or am I making that up?).

So regardless of human/egg infection, if you spill the goo on stuff - it makes Aliens....somehow. Either the trilobite step isn't needed or trilobites can be formed out of other creatures.

SM

SM

Yeah the hypersleep chambers have holes that look suspiciously like chestbursters.

newagescamartist

I'm pretty sure the mural depicts a deacon. Engineers and humans have the same genetics so it's not a stretch to assume that engineers had knowledge of it. It has the pointy head, the fleshy body, and lacks the dorsal and tail. Of course we could argue that the dorsal and tail aren't seen because of the perspective, but it also lacks thee bio-mechanical features of the xenomorph. David being the creator doesn't contradict anything we've seen in the movies thus far other than AVP ( which isn't canon ). The space jockey being fossilized is speculation from a character who hasn't even had time to take in the situation he's found himself in. I agree with Windbeastie that it looks mummified. The ship might very well be over 2000 years old seeing as how it's most likely built by the engineers. There are far too many holes in the narrative for us to pinpoint with any accuracy just what is going on between Covenant and Alien. So far nothing has contradicted anything ( as far as I can tell ). I think a lot of this stuff is open for speculation and open to interpretation. Ridley likes it that way.

Highland

Highland

I'm not really a fan of the backwards Engineering that goes on to justify the Space Jockey age. It's pretty clear though Ridley dug a hole, then made it deeper with Davids creation. It would all be a bit silly if we never found out if he could get out of that hole.

newagescamartist

Quote from: Highland on Jul 28, 2017, 03:02:30 AM
I'm not really a fan of the backwards Engineering that goes on to justify the Space Jockey age. It's pretty clear though Ridley dug a hole, then made it deeper with Davids creation. It would all be a bit silly if we never found out if he could get out of that hole.

That's a huge reason why I'm disappointed that Covenant's box office was lackluster. I was really looking forward to seeing how they connect Covenant to Alien.

Highland

Highland

Quote from: newagescamartist on Jul 28, 2017, 04:54:03 AM
Quote from: Highland on Jul 28, 2017, 03:02:30 AM

That's a huge reason why I'm disappointed that Covenant's box office was lackluster. I was really looking forward to seeing how they connect Covenant to Alien.

I can't see how it would be anything other than David making the eggs on the Derelict. If it does end here, then we're just going to have to assume that's what happened.

Nostromo

Nostromo

If dumbasses in the Alien community..universe..would follow these 4 simple rules everyone would be happy..even the idiots who will disagree..

1. Smart awesome story & dialogue  (If someone with an IQ over 8 would have seen Alien Covenant in the editing room, he'd have quickly suggested redoing almost 80% of the movie).

2. It must have smart creepy terror scenes in it. If it doesn't  it will fail, just like every other after Aliens. Prometheus had a bit.

3. Aliens should look like the Alien. Why does every movie have to have a different design? Makes you scratch your head.

4. Location: Old rusty spaceships, space stations, bases and outposts on other planet. Basically anything that does not look like Earth.

That's it, if those 4 elements are present in every Alien movie they'd probably do great.

Paranoid Android

Quote from: windebieste on Jul 28, 2017, 12:59:34 AM
Yet we've witnessed 2 instances, the Juggernaut and the Dreadnought, since then where these ships have flown.

...and crashed.
Yes, but 2 of those 3 are taken from the same 2000 year old "weapons facility" in LV-223. There's a pretty clear established pattern here.

The possibility of the Derelict being a decade or so old is as possible as it being 2000 years old at this point.  There are no at least 3 Derelict ships in the 'ALIEN' Universe.  As for the one appearing in 'ALIEN', we still don't know if it was crashed - or landed there, deliberately.  Which opens up all kinds of speculation.  Including, the Warning is Bait.
It seems pretty obvious that it crashed, due to the way it was found and due to the pilot being dead.

Which does make me think, any transmission needs a power source.  The chances of it still being functional after 2000 years is kinda slim compared to something much more recent.

-Windebieste
Well again, both ships taken from the LV-223 installation are fully functional. One of them literally sends out a transmission to the Covenant crew. Only way for it to be a recent ship is if Ridley Scott implies that the Engineers haven't been advancing the tech of their vehicles this entire time.

Quote from: Nostromo on Jul 28, 2017, 10:45:13 AM
If dumbasses in the Alien community..universe..would follow these 4 simple rules everyone would be happy..even the idiots who will disagree..

1. Smart awesome story & dialogue  (If someone with an IQ over 8 would have seen Alien Covenant in the editing room, he'd have quickly suggested redoing almost 80% of the movie).

2. It must have smart creepy terror scenes in it. If it doesn't  it will fail, just like every other after Aliens. Prometheus had a bit.
This kind of touches on well developed characters as well. If your characters aren't developed, their dialogue wouldn't work, and the audience will also not care about them being killed. If the audience doesn't care about a character and its survivability, there's no horror to the horror scene. Horror only works when applied on something that connects with the audience on an emotional level, otherwise you might as well have a film about an alien brutalizing dumpsters.

Quote from: Nostromo on Jul 28, 2017, 10:45:13 AM
3. Aliens should look like the Alien. Why does every movie have to have a different design? Makes you scratch your head.
This annoys me as well, but I can sort of see why they keep doing that. They want to expand on the current lore. I just think it would have been simpler if they just left the alien as-is, and focused on the lore surrounding it. In the original film, you had a crew of humans unintentionally encountering an alien who carried another alien as cargo. That in itself implied a huge alien universe that can be further explored. That's why I think Ridley Scott originally had the right idea with exploring the space jockey; he just went about it all wrong by tying everything to humanity. With the Engineers being genetic relatives and with the alien being David's creation, you no longer have aliens in your Alien franchise.

windebieste

windebieste

*sigh*  wottafukhedtoomuchlol

-Windebieste.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed