Work on the Sequels Stopped?

Started by Corporal Hicks, Jul 18, 2017, 11:49:17 AM

Author
Work on the Sequels Stopped? (Read 152,292 times)

Paranoid Android

Paranoid Android

Quote from: Gash on Jul 25, 2017, 07:42:30 PM
How could the audience not like the film if they didn't see it? It's not all about box office, it's about how a film is viewed once it's been out there and people can see it on their own terms once all the clamour and social media click-bait hype has no relevance.
Some people did see it, and we are living in the age of the internet after all. Youtube was practically drowning in hate videos about Covenant after its release, telling people to avoid the film. Word of mouth has always been and will always remain the best method of advertising. This is why it was no surprise that Covenant now holds a record top 10 spot for the movie with the biggest second week box office drop in history. The movie didn't do well financially because even the fans of the series didn't want much to do with it. There is no going around it.

Gash

Gash

Quote from: Paranoid Android on Jul 25, 2017, 07:51:28 PM

Some people did see it, and we are living in the age of the internet after all. Youtube was practically drowning in hate videos about Covenant after its release, telling people to avoid the film.

That seemed to happen after the American release date. Different tastes there I guess, or just more desperation to get hits on private Youtube channels, riding the wave of hollywood hype. So says the cynic in me anyway. There was not too much hate in Europe and other parts of the world in the fortnight before, and both screenings I saw in the UK −16 days apart - had full attendance in the cinema.

If Alien fandom is divided, it might be partly because of different cultural taste across the globe.

The YouTube hate videos were inane, but they may have had a detrimental effect, if so that's a sad state of affairs, dictated to by some of the dumbest 'film critics' you could ever want to see. 

Alionic

Alionic

Quote from: Paranoid Android on Jul 25, 2017, 07:51:28 PM
Quote from: Gash on Jul 25, 2017, 07:42:30 PM
How could the audience not like the film if they didn't see it? It's not all about box office, it's about how a film is viewed once it's been out there and people can see it on their own terms once all the clamour and social media click-bait hype has no relevance.
Some people did see it, and we are living in the age of the internet after all. Youtube was practically drowning in hate videos about Covenant after its release, telling people to avoid the film. Word of mouth has always been and will always remain the best method of advertising. This is why it was no surprise that Covenant now holds a record top 10 spot for the movie with the biggest second week box office drop in history. The movie didn't do well financially because even the fans of the series didn't want much to do with it. There is no going around it.

You just might get wish your wish of Fox pushing out Pulse Rifles vs. Alien Queens every two years the same way Disney does with Tie Fighters and Star Destroyers. Creativity be damned.

bb-15

bb-15

Quote from: Paranoid Android on Jul 25, 2017, 07:51:28 PMThis is why it was no surprise that Covenant now holds a record top 10 spot for the movie with the biggest second week box office drop in history.

Not correct.
"Covenant" is #82 for the movie with the biggest second week box office drop.
http://www.boxofficemojo.com/alltime/weekends/drops.htm

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Jul 25, 2017, 01:18:20 PM
Feeling safe or not, it still struck me as a bit dumb for Rosenthal to wander off alone.

And pretty much ends any chance of an effective debate.
I've had multiple discussions on IMDb where the pattern is; a moment in a film felt like it was dumb, therefore it's bad.
And for your personal taste, you are absolutely correct; the scene felt dumb to you and so to you it was dumb.

* However, for me Rosenthal washing her face alone in that situation is way down on the list of what can be "dumb" in a horror film and that includes the Alien franchise.
- i could pile up a list of factual information to support my view.
- But what does it matter?
- For you that moment felt dumb and nothing I can write will overrule your gut feelings.
And in fact I have no intention of trying to change your POV.

Just writing to say that I agree to disagree.

;)

NickisSmart

NickisSmart

^

Paranoid Android

Quote from: Alionic on Jul 25, 2017, 08:12:52 PM
You just might get your wish of Fox pushing out Pulse Rifles vs. Alien Queens every two years the same way Disney is doing with Tie Fighters and Star Destroyers. Creativity be damned.

Oh believe me, that's not my wish at all and sadly that's what you got with Covenant. I would have been perfectly happy with a movie about an android trying to play god and kissing himself for 2 hours, with zero humans and zero xenomorphs.

Instead, what you got was "get the xenomorph back on the screen - the movie" in a disaster that had a terrible plot, poorly written characters and an established lore that damages every Alien film to date and doesn't even make sense. All that followed by Ridley Scott reports about a third "war of the worlds" style movie with aliens humans and engineers all fighting each other and having Ripley's mother (cause remember Ripley?) somehow shoved in the mix. How does an Alien fan watch all this, hear what Ridley Scott has in store for the future of the franchise and still want him to continue doing what he's doing?

Quote from: bb-15 on Jul 25, 2017, 08:22:07 PM
Quote from: Paranoid Android on Jul 25, 2017, 07:51:28 PMThis is why it was no surprise that Covenant now holds a record top 10 spot for the movie with the biggest second week box office drop in history.

Not correct.
I was basing my data on this:
http://screenrant.com/alien-covenant-box-office-drop-80-percent/

That said, even with it being in the top 100 instead of the top 10, the point still remains: the movie dropped significantly because even the fans hated it.

Gash

Gash

Quote from: Paranoid Android on Jul 25, 2017, 08:31:15 PM
You just might get your wish of Fox pushing out Pulse Rifles vs. Alien Queens every two years the same way Disney is doing with Tie Fighters and Star Destroyers. Creativity be damned.

Oh believe me, that's not my wish at all and sadly that's what you got with Covenant. I would have been perfectly happy with a movie about an android trying to play god and kissing himself for 2 hours, with zero humans and zero xenomorphs.

Instead, what you got was "get the xenomorph back on the screen - the movie" in a disaster that had a terrible plot, poorly written characters and an established lore that damages every Alien film to date and doesn't even make sense. All that followed by Ridley Scott reports about a third "war of the worlds" style movie with aliens humans and engineers all fighting each other and having Ripley's mother (cause remember Ripley?) somehow shoved in the mix. How does an Alien fan watch all this, hear what Ridley Scott has in store for the future of the franchise and still want him to continue doing what he's doing?

Not correct.

That said, even with it being in the top 100 instead of the top 10, the point still remains: the movie dropped significantly because even the fans hated it.

Well, this is the biggest fan site and the poll here doesn't bear out your point of view.

Alionic

Alionic

And yet, you believe Aliens: Genisys by a director who just made one of the most incoherent films (Chappie) in recent memory would be good. Nice brainpower on display there, champ.

Paranoid Android

Quote from: Alionic on Jul 25, 2017, 08:35:59 PM

And yet, you believe Aliens: Genisys by a director who just made one of the most incoherent films (Chappie) in recent memory would be good. Nice brainpower on display there, champ.
Please quote the paragraph in which I stated to think Blomkamp should do anything in the Alien series.

I think Bomkamp is a hack who got lucky with District 9 and didn't make a single good film since (this inculdes his current Oats Studios short films). I think neither Scott nor Blomkamp should be making Alien films and find it hilarious that the fan community somehow got stuck on those two.

Quote from: Gash on Jul 25, 2017, 08:35:08 PM

Not correct.

Well, this is the biggest fan site and the poll here doesn't bear out your point of view.
True, but you gotta keep in mind that many of the fans don't necessarily visit this site. Hell, I just joined it today and I've been a fan of the series since I was 9 (hi, by the way).

Alionic

Alionic

Quote from: Paranoid Android on Jul 25, 2017, 08:42:27 PM
Quote from: Alionic on Jul 25, 2017, 08:35:59 PM

Please quote the paragraph in which I stated to think Blomkamp should do anything in the Alien series.

I think Bomkamp is a hack who got lucky with District 9 and didn't make a single good film since (this inculdes his current Oats Studios short films). I think neither Scott nor Blomkamp should be making Alien films and find it hilarious that the fan community somehow got stuck on those two.

But you still want an Alien version of Terminator: Genisys, complete with an elderly Ripley and Hicks. How can I take you seriously?

Paranoid Android

^Is this guy supposed to be the local troll?

I didn't know it was still a thing...

Hemi

Hemi

3x times!!! Why!!!

SM

SM

It was creppy.

QuoteWould you trust Gorman after what they found? I don't care if that's how it is. What they knew about the situation and what Gorman told them are two different things: The place is trashed. There's no bodies. Whatever took those bodies is still probably around. Oh, but alright, I'll just kick back and relax because the greenhorn lieutenant said everything is safe.

If someone listens to an idiot, as far as I'm concerned, that makes them an idiot, too. I don't care if they're following chain of command or not. Vasquez and Drake didn't, and given the situation they were in, I'd say they were a lot smarter in the immediate sense than Ferro or the co-pilot.

Irrelevant whataboutery.

As has been said - the area was secured.  No bodies, no movement, they'd been on the ground for hours with no contact with any enemy.  They weren't relaxing.  Spunkmeyer was assisting Bishop and Ferro was awaiting orders.  Gorman was following standard procedures based on the available data.  His inexperience is neither here nor there.

Many of the 'x character was so dumb' arguments seem to revolve around 'don't they know they're in a scary movie??'

QuoteWhy are people here upset about Ripley "going back for the cat" in Alien exactly? She left the cat literally in front of the enterance to the Narcissus after being cut off by the alien...her "going back for him" was taking two steps to the left before abandoning ship.

No when she left the shuttle to head back up to the bridge to look for him.

Paranoid Android

Quote from: SM on Jul 25, 2017, 09:14:40 PM
QuoteWhy are people here upset about Ripley "going back for the cat" in Alien exactly? She left the cat literally in front of the enterance to the Narcissus after being cut off by the alien...her "going back for him" was taking two steps to the left before abandoning ship.

No when she left the shuttle to head back up to the bridge to look for him.
Eh, that's kind of grasping at straws as well, I think. She was already on her own and needed to rendezvous with Parker and Lambert anyway. Nothing about the bridge was less safe for her than the shuttle. Plus, it was close by. If anything, that whole part of the movie subverts the "wander off to die" trope - Parker and Lambert get killed by staying together, while Ripley survives by going off on her own.

Mustangjeff

Mustangjeff

Quote from: Paranoid Android on Jul 25, 2017, 08:57:42 PM
^Is this guy supposed to be the local troll?

I didn't know it was still a thing...

No..  that's Ridley.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed