Work on the Sequels Stopped?

Started by Corporal Hicks, Jul 18, 2017, 11:49:17 AM

Author
Work on the Sequels Stopped? (Read 150,049 times)

Highland

Highland

It was probably a really in depth discussion that went something like -

"Ridley we'll give you the cash if you put Aliens in it"

Break for lunch.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Gash on Jul 26, 2017, 03:51:55 PMI glad it all worked out right in the end then.

Debatable, given that we haven't got Blomkamp's film to compare Covenant to.

Quote from: kwisatz on Jul 26, 2017, 03:54:35 PMHows that possible though? Was there a time when a Prometheus sequel was completely off the table? Or did Fox plan to run two Alien projects parallel for a while?

Not really sure how much I should say, but the gist was production on Covenant didn't really get serious until after Blomkamp's planned movie came to light.

tleilaxu

tleilaxu

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Jul 26, 2017, 04:04:08 PM
Quote from: Gash on Jul 26, 2017, 03:51:55 PMI glad it all worked out right in the end then.

Quote from: kwisatz on Jul 26, 2017, 03:54:35 PMHows that possible though? Was there a time when a Prometheus sequel was completely off the table? Or did Fox plan to run two Alien projects parallel for a while?

Not really sure how much I should say, but the gist was production on Covenant didn't really get serious until after Blomkamp's planned movie came to light.
We have his shorts though, which aren't really that great.

Paranoid Android

Quote from: Highland on Jul 26, 2017, 04:01:30 PM

Break for lunch.

"If you give me more cash, I'll even have 'em do a little dance"

kwisatz

kwisatz

Dont get yourself in trouble, man. Thx for the lil inside. Maybe Highland has a point and they simply palavered Scott and then ditched Blomkamps project in a heartbeat.

kwisatz

kwisatz

Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on Jul 26, 2017, 04:16:27 PM
Quote from: kwisatz on Jul 26, 2017, 03:54:35 PM
Or did Fox plan to run two Alien projects parallel for a while?

Yes.

http://www.avpgalaxy.net/2015/10/05/ridley-scott-talks-neill-blomkamps-alien-5/

From the same month though:

http://www.avpgalaxy.net/2015/10/30/alien-5-pending-alien-paradise-lost/

"So I shall be working on other things... as much as I love the xeno- and Lt ripley"

Sounding a bit pis***

Maybe a metting between the 05th and the 30th.  :D

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Yeah, that's about 25 days later. But the point still stands, at one stage they were being produced concurrently for release in 2017.

Fox probably got cold feet at some point and decided to produce only one film for now. Smart choice in light of Covenant's box office situation.

kwisatz

kwisatz

Ja. Or maybe Blomkamp just opposed the whole David the creator approach.

I love the xeno  ;)

Covenant could be a negative turning point. I bet 500+ (even 400+ probably) might have easily unlocked 2-3 more films in the next 5-6 years.

Gash

Gash

But one can assume a lot from the concept art as to where it was heading.. Newt, Hicks, Queen, Ripley in a xeno exosuit - it wasn't looking good.

Quote from: Paranoid Android on Jul 26, 2017, 04:10:36 PM

Break for lunch.

Must have missed that bit.

Paranoid Android

Quote from: Gash on Jul 26, 2017, 04:58:02 PM
Quote from: Paranoid Android on Jul 26, 2017, 04:10:36 PM

Break for lunch.

Must have missed that bit.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8juFmtkVrw

kwisatz

kwisatz

The creator of this video deserves being eggmorphed.

tleilaxu

tleilaxu

There was a good point the latest perfect organism podcast about people making fun of scenes that make them uncomfortable. The horror of the chestburster scene lies not in the monstrous emergence as in the original, but in the distortion of fatherhood and birth.

Paranoid Android

In a way, it's still a horror scene in my mind. It's just more of a "I can't believe the franchise has come to this" type of horror, rather than the type of horror I was originally expecting.

tleilaxu

tleilaxu

Quote from: Paranoid Android on Jul 26, 2017, 05:24:13 PM
In a way, it's still a horror scene in my mind. It's just more of a "I can't believe the franchise has come to this" type of horror, rather than the type of horror I was originally expecting.
Again, the crucial element here. If the marketing campaign had focused more on the symbolism (which is the essence of the movie) instead of the RUN HIDE PRAY crap, you wouldn't have felt this way.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed