Work on the Sequels Stopped?

Started by Corporal Hicks, Jul 18, 2017, 11:49:17 AM

Author
Work on the Sequels Stopped? (Read 151,602 times)

kwisatz

kwisatz

I dont think thats what he meant.  ::)

Jonesy1974

Jonesy1974

No, he's sole purpose appears to be try and antagonise those who like Covenant for some strange reason.

Paranoid Android

I'm not trying to antagonize anyone. I legitimately think the movie is a farce, so I'm arguing my case. Nobody should be personally offended by this. My criticism of the film is not a criticism of anyone here as a person.

kwisatz

kwisatz

"arguing"  :D

Jonesy1974

Jonesy1974

I don't take it personally and yes I'm aware you don't like the film, it would just be nice if we could move on from that now.

NickisSmart

NickisSmart

Quote from: Paranoid Android on Jul 26, 2017, 05:46:32 PM
I'm not trying to antagonize anyone. I legitimately think the movie is a farce, so I'm arguing my case. Nobody should be personally offended by this. My criticism of the film is not a criticism of anyone here as a person.

That is a farce.

question11

question11

after the farce that was war for the... im done buying anything FOX. prometheus couldve been a great franchise but they f**ked that up. f**k fox.

FenGiddel

FenGiddel

Quote from: question11 on Jul 26, 2017, 08:40:13 PM
after the farce that was war for the... im done buying anything FOX. prometheus couldve been a great franchise but they f**ked that up. f**k fox.
Hey, dude: the alphabet just called.  They want all their "f"s back...   :laugh:

bb-15

bb-15

Quote from: T Dog on Jul 26, 2017, 01:21:18 PM
Regarding Brett everyone is forgetting that they thought the Alien was just some small rst s8zed creature.

Please don't assume that everyone here, which is loaded with Alien franchise fans, is forgetting that the chestburster / baby xenomorph was small.
- I certainly didn't forget it was about a foot / 1/3 meter long.

There is no right or wrong way to evaluate a movie.
And everyone is entitled to their own personal taste.

* Still, what this topic runs into imo is the divide between those who;
1. Love a movie at a gut level and as a result they think everything in the film is perfect.
2. Compared with viewers who can look at scenes and notice tropes and cliches. This second kind of viewer can rate such a movie highly but still can criticize it.

- First example of the second kind of viewer? Dan O'Bannon, who's credited with writing "Alien'. In the extras for "Alien" O'Bannon mentions that he didn't write the Brett death scene and he didn't like it. It was about a character (Brett) getting separated from the group and going to the basement to get killed. 
- Splitting up the group and wandering on one's own is a standard horror film trope.
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/LetsSplitUpGang

- I can also criticize a film that I like.
1. Since the moment i saw "Alien' in 1979 i knew that Brett leaving the group to find the cat was a horror film cliche.
2. A foot long creature / the chestburster (which looked hostile and had pointed teeth) can still be very dangerous.
- A foot long snake in our world can deliver a vicious bite. And an unknown creature could be poisonous or carry a pathogen.
3. From the large sets (which have ventilation shafts) and the limited range of the motion tracking device, i knew there was no way that the team was certain that the baby xenomorph was not behind them.
4. I knew the moment that Brett left the group that he was an expendable character.
Here are a couple of tropes which address that.
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/RedShirt
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/SacrificialLamb

** Importantly, there is nothing wrong with people reacting to movies in different ways.
- I rate "Alien" in the top 10 of my all time science fiction movie list.

;)

SM

SM

Quote from: FenGiddel on Jul 26, 2017, 08:48:21 PM
Quote from: question11 on Jul 26, 2017, 08:40:13 PM
Hey, dude: the alphabet just called.  They want all their "f"s back...   :laugh:

:laugh:

Jonesy1974

Jonesy1974

Quote from: bb-15 on Jul 26, 2017, 08:54:42 PM
Regarding Brett everyone is forgetting that they thought the Alien was just some small rst s8zed creature.

Please don't assume that everyone here, which is loaded with Alien franchise fans, is forgetting that the chestburster / baby xenomorph was small.

1. Love a movie at a gut level and as a result they think everything in the film is perfect.
2. Compared with viewers who can look at scenes and notice tropes and cliches. This second kind of viewer can rate such a movie highly but still can criticize it.

- First example of the second kind of viewer? Dan O'Bannon, who's credited with writing "Alien'. In the extras for "Alien" O'Bannon mentions that he didn't write the Brett death scene and he didn't like it. It was about a character (Brett) getting separated from the group and going to the basement to get killed. 
- Splitting up the group and wandering on one's own is a standard horror film trope.

1. Since the moment i saw "Alien' in 1979 i knew that Brett leaving the group to find the cat was a horror film cliche.
2. A foot long creature / the chestburster (which looked hostile and had pointed teeth) can still be very dangerous.
- A foot long snake in our world can deliver a vicious bite. And an unknown creature could be poisonous or carry a pathogen.
3. From the large sets (which have ventilation shafts) and the limited range of the motion tracking device, i knew there was no way that the team was certain that the baby xenomorph was not behind them.
4. I knew the moment that Brett left the group that he was an expendable character.

** Importantly, there is nothing wrong with people reacting to movies in different ways.

;)

That's probably the most sensible thing I've read all day.

Paranoid Android

Paranoid Android

Quote from: bb-15 on Jul 26, 2017, 08:54:42 PM

;)

Alien is my favorite film, period, and I'll double down on your Brett criticism by saying that it would've made more sense in the context of the film if Ripley and Parker joined Brett in his search for Jonesy, since they all agree he must be caught in order for them to continue the search for the alien. Them not knowing how big the alien is might mitigate the trope, but it's obviously still there.

That said, I disagree about having no right or wrong way to evaluate a movie: a right way to evaluate a movie is to associate your rating of it with things that can actually be found in it so that other people could compare that person's experience with it with their own. This type of evaluation pushes a debate forward and allows people to explore the film further. Liking/disliking might be subjective, but through sharing the WHY people are able to achieve a shared experience of things. Your criticism of the Brett scene is a good example to that. A wrong way to evaluate a film is by simply stating whether you like it or not. It doesn't give anyone else anything to hold on to in order to achieve a shared experience of the film, and thus kills the debate.

That's also the difference between a state of preference and taste; state of preference is simply having things you like/dislike, while taste is being able to articulate why something works for you and other things don't.

NickisSmart

NickisSmart

I feel like we need some more actual news.

Evanus

Evanus

I'm afraid they will leave us in the dark for a long, long time.  :(

Protozoid

Protozoid

I don't expect there will be any news about this for a while.

When Scott starts doing publicity for his next movie, All the Money in the World, reporters will ask him incessantly about Covenant and potential sequels. There will be lots of Covenant discussion at the end of the year.

It might happen earlier if Scott does interviews to promote Covenant on home video, or if his commentary discusses the sequel possibilities. But that commentary was probably recorded before the movie was released, so it will be out of date regarding the likelihood of a sequel.

I'd like to see a Covenant sequel, but I really hope it is closer to Prometheus in approach.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed