Which Alien film was the most nostalgic for you?

Started by LastSurvivor92, Jun 10, 2017, 07:22:44 PM

Which Alien film was the most nostalgic for you?

Alien
Aliens
Alien 3
Alien Resurrection
Prometheus
Alien Covenant
Author
Which Alien film was the most nostalgic for you? (Read 1,478 times)

LastSurvivor92

Jerry Goldsmith's score and the retro look of the first film is hard to beat in my opinion. My vote goes to Alien for being the most nostalgic Alien film. Which film in the series for you was both aestehitcally and nostalgically satisfying? 

StrangeShape

Well aesthetically its both Alien and Aliens, because Im a huge fan as an art school graduate of expressionism, and both use expressionist lighting in a very effective way, creating outright beautiful imagery.

Nostalgia wise, its Alien 3 for me. First Alien movie I saw and stayed with for years until I saw the others, making it also the only alien movie with any nostalgic value for me

LastSurvivor92

Quote from: StrangeShape on Jun 10, 2017, 08:54:03 PM
Well aesthetically its both Alien and Aliens, because Im a huge fan as an art school graduate of expressionism, and both use expressionist lighting in a very effective way, creating outright beautiful imagery.

Nostalgia wise, its Alien 3 for me. First Alien movie I saw and stayed with for years until I saw the others, making it also the only alien movie with any nostalgic value for me

Very good points and I have to say that Alien 3 is very nostalgic for many reasons. Elliot Goldenthal's score, that foreboding atmosphere of death and technological decay, Ripley's emotional trauma of overcoming the pain and loss from Newt and Hicks. There were a lot of great elements in Alien 3 that I'm glad things like the Assembly Cut now can express that in the way David Fincher had envisioned. And say what you like about the Assembly Cut, it really does improve the pacing and overall rhythm of the film. Clemens and Dillion two of the most important and interesting characters in Alien 3 both are more defined and drawn out in the Assembly Cut. The Theatrical Cut is a pale comparison of those two characters, including the infamous Golic.

Elmazalman

The original ALIEN. Back then, there was only ALIEN! First discovered it - through a friend - in 1982, by way of  merchandise the film generated - the photo novel and the comic book adaptation. I didn't get to see the film until late 1983.

The original film still looks and sounds the best, imo. Even when viewed on dark and murky fullscreen videotape, the film's splendour couldn't be denied.

ALIEN was also the very first pre-recorded videotape I ever bought, ($29.99 ex-rental Beta but in excellent shape) in 1985. History repeated itself in 1999, when the very first (new format at the time) DVD I purchased, was ALIEN 20th anniversary edition - and was super thrilled to finally view the deleted scenes/outtakes/behind-the-scenes footage for the very first time. I missed out on the 1992 laserdisc box set.

Plenty of nostalgic memories for me concerning the original ALIEN!

Rankles75

I grew up with Aliens (not literally, obviously), so I'd have to go with that...

StrangeShape

Quote from: Elmazalman on Jun 10, 2017, 09:57:28 PM
The original ALIEN. Back then, there was only ALIEN! First discovered it - through a friend - in 1982, by way of  merchandise the film generated - the photo novel and the comic book adaptation. I didn't get to see the film until late 1983.

The original film still looks and sounds the best, imo. Even when viewed on dark and murky fullscreen videotape, the film's splendour couldn't be denied.

ALIEN was also the very first pre-recorded videotape I ever bought, ($29.99 ex-rental Beta but in excellent shape) in 1985. History repeated itself in 1999, when the very first (new format at the time) DVD I purchased, was ALIEN 20th anniversary edition - and was super thrilled to finally view the deleted scenes/outtakes/behind-the-scenes footage for the very first time. I missed out on the 1992 laserdisc box set.

Thats interesting, so how did you like Aliens and Alien 3 when they first came out?

Elmazalman

Quote from: StrangeShape on Jun 10, 2017, 11:15:23 PM

Thats interesting, so how did you like Aliens and Alien 3 when they first came out?
I had the opportunity to see ALIENS in the cinema back in 1986 but for some reason I never did get around to it, and have regretted it ever since. Up until this year, I had never seen this film on the big screen. I did however rent the film when it was first issued on videotape in 1987 (in Australia). I enjoyed it immensely and for a time (very short period) I actually believed it to be superior to the original. On repeat viewings, I changed my mind and much preferred ALIEN - which, to this day, is still my favourite (always loved Giger's original creature). Both are film classics but I lean more towards sci-fi horror than sci-fi action - both very different but equal.

Having enjoyed the first two films greatly, I couldn't wait for the third and final instalment to appear in cinemas. I came out of the cinema feeling sh*t, I wanted a refund and an apology from the staff for wasting two hours of my life. I knew this film wouldn't do the same business as the first two. Over the years I have grown to appreciate this film more but it will never touch the first two, imo. It wasn't a complete waste of time, though. There was one shot in the film I remember that did make an impression on me that I haven't forgotten - the Alien's blood-drenched face rising up to take in Golic, after killing one of the prisoners.

windebieste

I saw 'Star Wars' in 1978 and it was fun.  Like a lot of young people at the time, I was totally caught up with it.  I bought the books and other merchandise items.  It was a great experience.

Soon thereafter around the same time 20th Century Fox announced they were going to release another space themed movie, called 'ALIEN'.  I was instantly intrigued.  At the time, I was also reading magazines like 'Starlog', 'Fantastic Films', 'OMNI' and a few others.  These print items were expensive in Australia so they were precious.  I still have most of them. 

I knew that the movie was going to be released by Fox on May 25, exactly 2 years after 'Star Wars' so I was hyped.  I'd seen the articles and knew it was a horror sci-fi movie.  Some sources touted it as 'Jaws in Space'.  Cool.  I liked that idea.  I liked 'Jaws'.  I loved 'Star Wars'.  This gon b good!

After the movie was released in the US it took another 6 months for it to be released in Australia, on December 6.  During the intervening months a number of print items became available and I bought those.  The ADF novelisation, Richard Anoble's movie novel book thingy, the Book of ALIEN and the comic adaption came into my hands during this time.  So by the time the movie came out, I was thoroughly spoiled for the story. 

What none of these print items can capture was the slow, deliberate and intense build up of the film.  Nothing happens in the first 20 minutes except the crew wake up and land the ship.   The beginning of this movie was such a dramatic contrast to the closest thing I could compare it to - the opening of  'Star Wars' with its enormous jaw dropping reveal of the star destroyer is one of the great, great cinema experiences anyone who saw the movie when it was released.  'ALIEN' had nothing like that.

In fact 'ALIEN' was nothing like 'Star Wars'.  It's events transpire in space and that's where the similarities end.

After seeing the movie, I walked out dazed and confused.  The movie is slow and shot with a lot of close ups.  The facehugger attack happened way too quick.  There wasn't enough lingering shots of the monster itself for most of the movie's running time.  In many ways, it was the opposite of all the core values I adored in 'Star Wars'. 

I was confused.  I wasn't even sure I liked it.  I certainly loved the design elements of the movie.  The Nostromo, the derelict and the Alien itself were elements I'd become familiar with during the long months waiting for the movie to be released by owning the print media - which gave everything away with total abandon.  Those things I definitely loved - I was taken aback at the film style that didn't emulate that other movie.  This was something different.  This wasn't the same space adventure pacing I was anticipating and it felt... odd.  Change had been thrust upon me.  Change in so many ways. 

It was later in my life when I owned a copy of it on video that I realised how essential that slow build up was and the need for quick cuts.  Of course by then I was no longer a teenager and in my early 20's my appreciation of the movie changed as I matured.

Ultimately, the movie became a favorite.  'The Empire Strikes Back' was released in 1980.  'Return of the Jedi' soon followed in 1983 and as the years flowed by, I became aware how undeniably child friendly these movies actually were - the last movie had the Evil Empire defeated by teddy bears, after all. 

It would be another 3 years until 'ALIENS' was released.  For me, that meant 6 years to become familiar with the original movie.  I knew eggmorphing was a thing that was cut but accepted it was the real deal.  Giger talks about it in his book, 'Giger's ALIEN'.  Other commitments (Moving out of home, work and paying rent, saving to buy a house etc. You know the deal.) forced my fannish interest in these movies to the background so an appreciation of 'ALIENS' came a little later than when it was released.

As the years passed and became decades I saw 'ALIEN 3' on opening night in Melbourne.  I still have the colour printed double pass to verify it.  Aside from seeing the movie I didn't really pay much attention to it.  It was different to both previous films and that's all I remember thinking about it.

Eventually, I found myself being drawn back to the series.  I'd missed all the comics and toys of the mid 1990's and don't remember feeling positive about 'ALIEN Resusrrection' when it was released but the 'AvP' PC game got me hooked once again.  From there, I've been involved in the 'AvP' Community ever since the turn of the century.

Since then, I've become a full spirited fan of the older movie.  It's an amazing piece of mature film making for its day and conversely appropriate, I find 'Star Wars' movies lazy and juvenile. 

-Windebieste.

Scorpio

ALIEN RESURRECTION.  It was Jan 1998, I was 16 years old.  I had read the issue of SFX that covered ADI's work on the film and watched the trailers.  Absolutely hyped.  I saw it twice, and it's still my favourite Alien film (btw, I had seen The City of Lost Children and was already a massive fan of Jeunet).  As for the Alien series, I saw all the others before but they were only casual interest, I didn't become a fan until Alien Resurrection.

Munkeywrench

Aliens I saw it back in March of 1992 at the age of 10 it was the first one I saw and it made me a fan of the series.

NeoXenoPred

Alien 1979 is the most nostalgic for me because it's the first one i watch

426Buddy

Its Aliens for me, but ALIEN did play a part.

I was born in '85, one of my earliest memories of the films is from when i was 5 or 6. One day my mom was doing some chores around the house and being bored i was going through our vhs movies looking for something to watch. I found Aliens and asked my ma to start it for me. I convinced her i wouldnt get scared so she threw it in. The VHS copy we had started with the trailer for Alien and that trailer scared the hell out of me, after the the trailer for alien i had to turn it off, didnt even make it to the film lol. The next time i made sure to ask mom to fast forward the trailer while i closed my eyes lol. Watching aliens scared the hell out of me as well, had to stop the movie at Ripleys chestbursting dream. Although it didnt take long for me to finish Aliens because even though my 6 year old self was scared it was also thrilling and i was hooked ever since. I watched Alien3 when it was released on video, i liked it but it didnt frighten me when i watched it. Aliens and the alien trailer had almost traumatized me lol. However i had really bad dreams for a while that our family dog had an alien in him lol. I wouldnt really learn of the hatred A3 caused at release for a long time afterward. When i was 9 my folks finally got me ALIEN on vhs and we all eatched it together. I didnt love it immediatly, i think it was hard for my 9 year old self to appreciate the slow pace of the film. However eventually Alien became my favorite of thr series, followed by aliens and Alien3. When i was 14 i got to see AR in theaters, i initially enjoyed it (it was my first alien film i watched in theaters.) When i got it on VHS i decidedly disliked the film very much.

I also collected what comics and merch i could but it wasnt an easy task when living in a small rural town. I was apart of the 90's kenner craze and still have many of them. Currently i own a decent alien collection and own nearly every comic ever released. ;D

Good memories.

StrangeShape

StrangeShape

Quote from: Elmazalman on Jun 11, 2017, 12:28:47 AM
Quote from: StrangeShape on Jun 10, 2017, 11:15:23 PM

I had the opportunity to see ALIENS in the cinema back in 1986 but for some reason I never did get around to it, and have regretted it ever since. Up until this year, I had never seen this film on the big screen. I did however rent the film when it was first issued on videotape in 1987 (in Australia). I enjoyed it immensely and for a time (very short period) I actually believed it to be superior to the original. On repeat viewings, I changed my mind and much preferred ALIEN - which, to this day, is still my favourite (always loved Giger's original creature). Both are film classics but I lean more towards sci-fi horror than sci-fi action - both very different but equal.

Having enjoyed the first two films greatly, I couldn't wait for the third and final instalment to appear in cinemas. I came out of the cinema feeling sh*t, I wanted a refund and an apology from the staff for wasting two hours of my life. I knew this film wouldn't do the same business as the first two. Over the years I have grown to appreciate this film more but it will never touch the first two, imo. It wasn't a complete waste of time, though. There was one shot in the film I remember that did make an impression on me that I haven't forgotten - the Alien's blood-drenched face rising up to take in Golic, after killing one of the prisoners.

Its always interesting to hear this perspective, of being a fan before any sequels and listen to the stories of how you guys reacted to both Aliens and Alien 3 which were both imo stunning and terrific in their own way, but different than the first

Quote from: windebieste on Jun 11, 2017, 12:45:44 AM

Eventually, I found myself being drawn back to the series.  I'd missed all the comics and toys of the mid 1990's and don't remember feeling positive about 'ALIEN Resusrrection' when it was released but the 'AvP' PC game got me hooked once again.  From there, I've been involved in the 'AvP' Community ever since the turn of the century.

Since then, I've become a full spirited fan of the older movie.  It's an amazing piece of mature film making for its day and conversely appropriate, I find 'Star Wars' movies lazy and juvenile. 

-Windebieste.

I had a similar tangled up story with the series. Saw Alien 3 when it first came out on VHS cause it was very well promoted. Then  and still now I think its one of the creepiest movies ever made, thanks to Goldenthal's eerie, choir driven score and sound effects-like sounds, along with the bleak, hellish photography. Not to mention incredibly strong feel of sadness, pain and melancholia that the movie channels. Its the only movie with Alien I saw for years, mainly because I didnt want to see its "backstory" because if you watch it without even knowing what the previous ones were about, Sulaco becomes this sort of Marie Celeste kind of ship where its almost empty full of people that yu never know what they went through and that really added a sense of eerie mystery. So it wasnt till much much later till I finally saw em and became an Alien whacko I am today like all of us here

I recently showed Alien for the first time to friends of my fiance and my fiance whos a pro photographer, and those friends are all in similar field but never seen the movie even tho they know the character of course. It was fantastic to see how the first movie grabs people still, how people who are in the art of imagery are breathtaken by the images of the first (and second) movie, its lighting and composition, and its really cool as a fan to hear long, argumented responses of how great the movie is. Same with Aliens that Ive shown them yesterday, one woman has a heart condition and asked for a one minute break after the facehugger med lab scene because she has a heart condition and said she couldnt stand the tension thats elevated to insane level. They pretty much shared my view, is that the action is meh (although theres not really much of it except the ending) , but its the unbearable tension that makes the movie what it is. Cant wait to show them Alien 3 and see the reaction

Mr. Clemens

ALIEN.

I was nearly eight when it was released, but it hadn't come to my town yet. My older brother and I went on our summer visit to our father in another city in summer '79, and were raving about Jaws, which we'd just seen in a re-release. In particular, the gore.

"Have you seen Alien?" he asked us.

"No," we replied, wide-eyed. "Was it good?"

"It was the most disgusting thing I've ever seen. I wanted to walk out in the middle of the movie."

I was floored. This movie, this ALIEN, had rattled my DAD? My hero? My fascination began at that moment.

I grilled my (later to become) stepsisters (ages eleven & eight) about it. "It was great!" they told me and, interestingly, "Ripley and Dallas were totally in love, but they never said so."

Visit later concluded, my brother and I returned to our town. the movie wasn't due in for months, but the paperback was at the grocery store. I got a copy, and read it voraciously.

When the movie finally came to our town, my brother and I had eaten too many of the cookies or something, and as punishment we weren't allowed to go with our mother and her husband to see it. I was crushed.

But I kept reading the novel over and over again. And in so doing, the crew of the Nostromo became my role models. That may sound silly, but it's true. My mother and stepfather were a couple of violent, psychotic drunks, and even at that young age, I swore I would never be like them (I've been two-thirds successful in that regard). I didn't know any adults other than teachers (who couldn't be arsed to provide much of an example), so the Nostromo's crew became my definition of what adults were. I began to recognize in myself Dallas-like qualities, Parker-like qualities, Ripley-like qualities, etc. Finally actually seeing the film on a friend's family's VHS player in 1983 only cemented things for me.

Yes, the crew of the Nostromo taught me how to be an adult. And every time I see their names flash by over Howard Hanson's 'The Romantic' I feel a sweet sense of gratitude.  :)

Scorpio

Nobody else has nostalgia for Resurrection or the AVP films?

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed