[Spoiler] David and Alien Egg in Alien: Covenant Novelisation.

Started by gantarat, May 24, 2017, 12:07:37 AM

Author
[Spoiler] David and Alien Egg in Alien: Covenant Novelisation. (Read 11,092 times)

gantarat

gantarat

From Reddit

https://www.reddit.com/r/LV426/comments/6ctw0e/reading_through_novelisation_some_of_the/
Spoiler

The biggest change is the scene with David and Oram in his little shop of horrors. It is filled with all manner of fascinating and gruesome sights, including a dissected Engineer's corpse, tiny preserved neomorph specimens that hatched out of insects, and, most notably, corpses (or at least models) of something that sounds suspiciously like the classic Giger alien. David even shows Oram a petrified facehugger's egg, which he reveals he euthanised because it was too aggressive. Oram looks inside this egg, at David's urging, and is comforted to find that the hugger inside is, as promised, quite dead. Tantalisingly, he mentions that this was left behind by the Engineers, saying it is a "supreme example of their skill." His attempts to create the alien, seemingly, are trying to emulate this one left by the Engineers. He also confirms that the aliens take on characteristics of their host species, a la the Dog Alien from Alien 3, which is a nice little detail.

[close]

El Diablo

Some of those alterations would have been a great additions to the film. I'm not too fond of having David be the father of the Xenomorph.

cucuchu

The Cruentus

So...the novel leans towards David recreating what the Engineers did? I would hope this is true but Ridley's interview puts a damper on that.

Vertigo

David "euthanising" the facehugger by petrification is an interesting detail. Could be something they're intending to explain how gnarly and time-worn the LV426 Engineer looks.

Then again, it sounds like they weren't going for a David xenomorph origin, so *shrug*.

Ultramorph

And I thought my post on the W-Y Bulletin broke this news!  :laugh:

The prequel novel should shed some definitive light in a few months.

426Buddy

Good news! Wish that showed up in the film.

Evanus

So is this based on deleted scenes/dialogue of the film or did the writer just make it up?

gantarat

Quote from: Evanus on May 24, 2017, 12:41:53 AM
So is this based on deleted scenes/dialogue of the film or did the writer just make it up?

someone on that reddit thread say

"authors that do movie tie in novelizations for films get to see rough cuts of the film before editing takes place or see a production script."

Highland

If this scene was in the movie it would instantly make it better, it would give Oram a reason to stick his head in an egg for a start.

426Buddy

426Buddy

Quote from: Evanus on May 24, 2017, 12:41:53 AM

You mean Alan Dean Foster? He wrote the first 3 alien novelizations and the differences in those novels i believe were because he went off of older scripts.

As to whether he made this up, i dont know but i think hicks is doing an interview with him. If not then someone should ask him.

Space7Horror

If this is held true and the eggs were left behind by the engineers then I would feel much better about the film, hopefully thr prequel novel builds on this some more.

rabidranger

Quote from: Space7Horror on May 24, 2017, 01:07:30 AM
If this is held true and the eggs were left behind by the engineers then I would feel much better about the film, hopefully thr prequel novel builds on this some more.

If true it demonizes the Engineers even further.

Xenomrph

Quote from: gantarat on May 24, 2017, 12:07:37 AM
From Reddit

https://www.reddit.com/r/LV426/comments/6ctw0e/reading_through_novelisation_some_of_the/
Spoiler

The biggest change is the scene with David and Oram in his little shop of horrors. It is filled with all manner of fascinating and gruesome sights, including a dissected Engineer's corpse, tiny preserved neomorph specimens that hatched out of insects, and, most notably, corpses (or at least models) of something that sounds suspiciously like the classic Giger alien. David even shows Oram a petrified facehugger's egg, which he reveals he euthanised because it was too aggressive. Oram looks inside this egg, at David's urging, and is comforted to find that the hugger inside is, as promised, quite dead. Tantalisingly, he mentions that this was left behind by the Engineers, saying it is a "supreme example of their skill." His attempts to create the alien, seemingly, are trying to emulate this one left by the Engineers. He also confirms that the aliens take on characteristics of their host species, a la the Dog Alien from Alien 3, which is a nice little detail.

[close]

Hahaha that's awesome.

dookie

dookie

I really prefer this angle to David being the outright creator of the Xeno.

Fortunately, Ridley left himself some wiggle room. Time to get to wiggling.  ;D

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed